Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2022, 16:30   #76

Re: Is this a good first boat?

By all means go for it. I learned the ropes on a Halman 20 and was out several days a week. Came to realize that the larger the boat the less they're out sailing. When a Contessa 26 crossed my path I made the move... still out more often than the +36 but I miss my little Halman. Just like the Flika and Dana it was not just a boat, it had a soul. For single sailing most of the time I would not go any bigger. Just take a good look at the boat and if she looks back at you don't let her go!
Old 18-03-2022, 17:07   #77

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Plus my engine (outboard) is a 2011 which is much newer than the 1996 diesel on the Dana.
True, but so what? My 1990 diesel, on a boat that has logged over 100K miles, is still running just fine. In that period I've gone through several outboard engines on dinghies.

Jim
Old 18-03-2022, 17:16   #78

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
True, but so what? My 1990 diesel, on a boat that has logged over 100K miles, is still running just fine. In that period I've gone through several outboard engines on dinghies.

Jim
But you have experience and sail long distance crossing oceans etc whereas this guy is buying his first boat!

Geez, half these guys park them after a few times out so I'm thinking buying something for near $70,000 is a bit much when as you know you can get a decent first boat for under $20,000 with an outboard that will last you years

James Baldwin rounded the globe on a boat either with no engine or an outboard. Now he usually puts 6 hp 4 stroke outboards in the wells of the Water boats">blue water boats he rebuilds.

https://atomvoyages.com/

His cruising boat list includes my $2,000 Bristol 27 and the OP's $69,000 Dana 24

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/cla...ers-list-html/

Alberg 30 here:

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 17:35   #79

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
But you have experience and sail long distance crossing oceans etc whereas this guy is buying his first boat!
Yes, this is true, but my point was that your criticism of a 1996 diesel was not valid. Such an engine should be good for many more years of service and is quite appropriate for the boat.

However, I do agree that the Dana is very expensive for it's size and capabilities, and IMO is a poor choice as a first boat as a result. As a SECOND boat, one purchased after getting some personal experience sailing, if it still appeals it would be fine.

Jim
Old 18-03-2022, 17:59   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Although Pacific Seacraft makes a great boat, I think for $69,000, you can buy something larger and just as good.
Larger is not always a great thing for a 'first boat'.
I've always felt comfortable with my 26 foot 'Quarter Tonner' ex-racing boats for coastal cruising. The boat in this htread looks like it could be comfortably handled by one person and still have 'comfortable' room for another person to share the space on a cruise.

The rig is not so tall as to be a handful in a storm, and the boat is moving along at what looks like a comfortable 6 knots in the video.
5 to 7 knots is about all most of us probably expect out of 'cruising' a 24 foot (taking off the pointy bit hanging out the front) yacht that isn't rigged for racing. 30 to 50 miles on an average day with a pleasant breeze.

Small enough to learn on, easy enough to handle, big enough to live on.
About the only negative might be the price, and I agree with everyone who said to get a good survey done on the hard stand.
rossdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 18:02   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
He is still trying to sell the Nor'Sea 27 he bought first though and needs to get like $50,000 for it.
Another cult boat, and my top choice.

Could only swing maybe a third of that up front - owner financing?
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 05:35   #82

Boat: Catalina 30

On the positive size she is an attractive boat. Appears to be well maintained. Engine and engine "room" look great very clean. Newer standing rigging is good.

Hull and deck look very good from the pictures.

I would love to sail her in the Great Lakes for a summer.

We have given you a lot to think about. Let us know what you decide. If you do buy her, let us know and we will be happy to help you spend your money on additional upgrades.
jerryf609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 06:03   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
Another cult boat, and my top choice.

Could only swing maybe a third of that up front - owner financing?
I'm not seeing it for sale online but if I run into the owner I'll ask him about it. He wasn't at his boat yesterday. He is probably on a ship someplace.

In the mean time, this is one hell of a nice small boat.

22"11" LWL which is a lot for a 27' cruising boat

https://bluewaterboats.org/vancouver-27

A Vancouver 27, and they are hard to find here: (asking $32,500)

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/vancouver-27

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...er-27-8207022/
Old 19-03-2022, 08:04   #84

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Read Kawabunga by Charles Dewell. Then try the books by Patrick Ellam and John Guzzwell. Maybe check out the vlogger, wind hippie sailing. All small boats.

The cost of a boat is not the price you pay for it. It is the cost of operating it. Size is only one factor. The question is: can I afford to own this boat and do the cruises I want to do?

Sure if you are resourceful and patient. Same for everyone.

Have fun.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 08:38   #85

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurief View Post
Pacific Seacrafts are well built boats. One of my first boats was a Flicka. They’re old though, so a survey is essential even if it looks great to you. My surveyor found quite a few voids in the fiberglass. Nothing he was worried about, but it’s something that you’ll find in older boats and you may want to deal them. PS’s are like weebles. They wobble but they don’t fall down. Even the smallest has circumnavigated. They have a big following so you’ll meet all sorts of folks just because they want to take a look at your boat.

If you are talking about voids from the surveyor doing soundings while tapping on the hull with a small (hopefully) mallet, that would be due to the boats lay-up at the factory...not it's age. The only exception to that would be if the hull was cored and had a catastrophic delam failure. The boat in question I believe is a solid glass hull.

If the boat was prone blisters, then that might be considered "voids" but usually referred to as osmotic blisters.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 08:41   #86

Pretty normal first or second boat story.

https://i0.wp.com/www.dinghydreams.c...d-Old-Boat.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/www.dinghydreams.c...-Boat-pg-2.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/www.dinghydreams.c...-Boat-pg-3.jpg

http://www.dinghydreams.com/
Old 19-03-2022, 08:50   #87

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossdv8 View Post
Larger is not always a great thing for a 'first boat'.
I've always felt comfortable with my 26 foot 'Quarter Tonner' ex-racing boats for coastal cruising. The boat in this htread looks like it could be comfortably handled by one person and still have 'comfortable' room for another person to share the space on a cruise.

The rig is not so tall as to be a handful in a storm, and the boat is moving along at what looks like a comfortable 6 knots in the video.
5 to 7 knots is about all most of us probably expect out of 'cruising' a 24 foot (taking off the pointy bit hanging out the front) yacht that isn't rigged for racing. 30 to 50 miles on an average day with a pleasant breeze.

Small enough to learn on, easy enough to handle, big enough to live on.
About the only negative might be the price, and I agree with everyone who said to get a good survey done on the hard stand.

My point was, not that he should buy a larger boat but that the $69,000 would buy a larger boat. Addressing a "first boat", it is wiser to stick with something manageable. But as Thomm225 has pointed out, you can do it for $2000. I think the OP is trying to skip the step that you learn on a small boat, then sell it and move up to a larger boat to go cruising on.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 09:07   #88

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hmmm... if I had spent $60,000 for my 29' boat I don't think I'd let anyone touch it, and I certainly wouldn't have let my kids on it. If they were allowed on it I'd probably be yelling at them non-stop... not too much fun for the kids... or me. If I had spent $60,000 on something like a Valiant 40, I'd be relaxed and I'd let them bang around on it with impunity.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 08:14   #89

Another article on boat buying.

This lady bought another boat for under $10,000.

Her last boat, a Great Dane 28, she got for $4,000.

This one a Tripp 29 she purchased for $6,000 and in has a windvane autopilot, roller furling jib, and electric engine.

https://i0.wp.com/www.dinghydreams.c...nes-copy-1.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tripp.02.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	254741   Click image for larger version

Name:	tripp.03.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	254742  

Click image for larger version