Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2013, 17:53   #31

Boat: PT-11
Re: Island Packet 31 for Liveaboard / Offshore?

Why is this thread back alive again? I owned an IP31 for 5 years. Its a great cruising boat, but not the one I'd choose as a "liveaboard".
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:33   #32

Boat: Santana 25

I have been looking at Island Packets as well. For live aboard situations they look ideal for a couple. I envision spending the lions share of our time at anchor with the advantage of being able to chose my weather window. But with my past history as a guide, I will surly encounter conditions less than ideal and having a boat that is more capable than I should be a plus. They hold their resale value as well as and usually better than most as far as I can tell. But the loyalty of the IP owners along with there grace in letting everyone have their own opinion impresses me. But I'm not a numbers guy.
twoblocktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:07   #33

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have an IP 38 and it is a great boat, solidly built and sails surprisingly well. I have seen Jeff's comments on many sailing sites. He must really hate IPs or some IP dealer to put in so much effort to knock a good boat. Basically every boat is a bit of a compromise and for what you want an IP will do well.
mparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:26   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
......... In the end, whether an Island Packet makes sense for you all depends your priorities ...............
Jeff's extensive post concerning the Island Packet is quite similar in content and length to his evaluation of my own Morgan on an earlier thread. Since I've noticed the specs for the IP 38 are almost identical to my Morgan 41, this seems reasonable and could be applied to the Westsail or the CSY and others. It does seem obvious to me that, "In the end,...it depends on your priorities." I've owned a fin keeled Sparkman & Stephens boat with light air performance and much like the boats that Jeff H would favor and I recognize their advantages just as I recognize the advantages of the heavy, long-keeled, beamy, "trucks". I do have choices that are dramatically opposed to Jeff's. When he sees the full keel grounding as hopelessly "homesteading", I see it as presenting a gentle profile easing upon the grounding as opposed to the harsh strike of the fin or the anchoring of the winged keel. This one difference in intrepretation continues through many design differences. I regognize weaknesses in my boats design. I don't like the vulnerable position of my hull-deck joint. I prefer the more robust portlights on the Island Packets as well as their Divinylcell deck core instead of my balsa. If you refuse to recognize the lesser qualities of your own boat, then they are more likely to cause you harm. As Jeff says, those of us on our slower boats will have to plan a bigger window for a passage and, as also said, we can go gunkholing across the flats like Bayside in the Florida Keys. I absolutely am in agreement with Jeff's long post and his summary thought that it depends on your priorities!

Edit: I thought of removing my comment after realizing that I was responding to a ten year old post revived just a few comments above, but I decided that, although the origins are old, the thoughts are not dated.
Old 08-05-2022, 23:06   #35

Jeff H-
If you are still around...I understand this blog is almost 10 years old...what do you think is an ideal displacement boat if not an Island Packet. Hylas?
Rob W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 23:12   #36

to follow up on above post.. I am not a fan od sail drive as I have had one on previous boat and maintenance is not with it in spite of what the salesman tells you-even Oyster
Rob W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet, liveaboard