Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2017, 23:05   #1

Island Packet 320

I currently live in the Bay Area, and am possibly going to buy an Island Packet 320. My goal is to sail to Hawaii and cruise the hawaiin islands. Then depart for Alaska and sail around before leaving back to San Francisco. I just need to know If this boat boat is up to the task. I would love to hear what sailboat you think could work for me. I would also like to hear what you think of the the Island Packet 320.

2001 Island Packet 320 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Sailboat Preferences:
$150,000 or less
High quality, seaworthy, and forgiving
Singlehandable
25-40 feet overall.
In the year 2000 or greater. Older boats are acceptable if in prime condition.
Does not need to blazing fast , and looks are not on the top of the list if it is a well built boat. After all, I am looking at an Island packet.

I know it is a lot to ask for, but I do not want to see someone suggest me to buy a 1996 Hunter 26. Sorry Hunter.

1996 Hunter 26 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Or that guy who demands a 1887 sailing barge is the greatest boat that was ever built.

1887 Sailing Barge living a board Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thanks in advance!

-Giovanni
GIOVANNl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 07:21   #2

Re: Island Packet 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIOVANNl View Post
I currently live in the Bay Area, and am possibly going to buy an Island Packet 320. My goal is to sail to Hawaii and cruise the hawaiin islands. Then depart for Alaska and sail around before leaving back to San Francisco. I just need to know If this boat boat is up to the task. I would love to hear what sailboat you think could work for me. I would also like to hear what you think of the the Island Packet 320.

-Giovanni
Here's a 350 that's been to those very places: 2001 Island Packet 350 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com. I'm not an expert but I suspect your prospective 320 would do just as well. The healing waters of the pacific await.
kalbahnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 07:27   #3

Thanks. That seems like a great option.
Old 25-07-2017, 07:51   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

Yes, if you are capable of sailing a 32' boat to Hawaii and back that boat is certainly up to the task.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 08:09   #5

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Might also consider an older IP35 with an eye on spending 25 or 30K to upgrade some older components.

The IP 320 was the replacement for the IP29 and while surely capable of surviving a lot more than the average homo sapien(s) aboard, I would prefer a little more yacht for such a trip.

Disclaimer- I have covered most of the area you are considering, but always looking out the side port of a Boeing.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 10:56   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Island Packet 320

The 0 series IPs are not as big as the same number older boat. I believe for example that a 380 and a 35 hull size are almost identical, where the 38 is significantly larger than a 380. The scoop is the reason.
More to it than that of course, I almost bought a 320 as our learner boat, only thing that stopped me was the wife, she thought it a little small.
However other than speed for a single handed or maybe even a couple, how much boat do you need?

Plus there are some significant improvements to the newer boats, plus of course even if everything else is equal, they are newer of course, most of the time newer means in better shape.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 11:22   #7

I think your budget will support a Pacific Seacraft 31, maybe a 34. FWIW, I'd be more concerned with the age of major systems than the age of the hull.

Yes, the IP will do the job.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 22:47   #8

I do not need that much boat. As long as it is long enough to safely and comfortable get me back to port.

I have looked at some of the Pacific Seacrafts due to there seaworthiness, but the resale values are consistently higher on the island Packets. I will also be spending the majority of the time island hopping, so interior volume on the island packets seems much bigger and will be nice at anchorage. The Pacific Seacrafts are definitely still an option.
Old 27-07-2017, 13:47   #9

Boat: Swan 432

As far as Pacific Seacrafts I would not worry about age, anything older than 10 years old will need a lot of updating. We were eyeing a 37 down in Florida that was just under $100K after being on the market for 2 years. By the time we were able to buy the boat was sold, too bad because it was loaded. The IP's have much more room and in my opinion are better liveaboards if you spend most time at the dock. PSC makes great ocean cruising boats and the 37 is a classic but they are really short on space because of the long overhangs. If I were you I would get a test sail on a PSC and an IP before you start shopping.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 15:03   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Island Packet 320

I looked hard at a PSC, I think maybe a 37, but it looked much older than what I bought and looked it, may have been I don't remember.
The IP does have a whole lot more interior room, and the PSC did seem narrow.
Great boat though I'm sure, depends of course on what you want.

As far as updating I may have a different opinion, if it's good quality stuff and works well, whats wrong with keeping it?
Old 27-07-2017, 16:06   #11

May or may not apply but for that journey make sure you check the IP Chain Plates thread elsewhere here on the forum.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 18:27   #12

Are Pacific Seacrafts any better ocean going boats than the Island Packets? I ask because I have read a lot on Island Packet design flaws. For example, what happens in a hard grounding with an Island Packet 320/350? Are the keels cement? Are where the chain plates are a deal breaker. Does the Island Packet 320/350 have aluminum, stainless steel or fiberglass tanks? I have heard aluminum tanks are a real problem, epecially when you cannot get to them. There is so much to consider. The boat I will probably choose will be the one with the least amount of upcoming structural or equipment failures.

Thank You all so much for your feedback.
Old 28-07-2017, 08:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I looked hard at a PSC, I think maybe a 37, but it looked much older than what I bought and looked it, may have been I don't remember.
The IP does have a whole lot more interior room, and the PSC did seem narrow.
Great boat though I'm sure, depends of course on what you want.

As far as updating I may have a different opinion, if it's good quality stuff and works well, whats wrong with keeping it?
The 37 has not changed since the late 70's, back then it was considered a fairly big boat. Today you have inexperienced sailors looking at 60 footers for their first boat. If I had a million dollars I would have purchased a brand new PSC 40 or 44 as they have enough room for two people to comfortably live aboard. We seriously considered a new IP45 back around 1995 and there was a boat show special for $270K. I was impressed with the creature comforts and how solid the boat was. We just did not have the $$$ back then.
Old 28-07-2017, 10:16   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Island Packet 320

My opinion is that likely a PSC is a better open ocean boat than an IP.
All boats have issues, there is no perfect boat, the IP chainplate thing has been overplayed, for less than $12K Mack Sails and others will turn Key change your chainplates out with Titanium ones that will outlast the boat, it's a one time deal, no matter how long you have the boat.
The aluminum water tank is however a concern, but what kind of tank does a PSC have? I don't know. Tank seems to last If you don't chlorinate the water.
My chainplates at 30 were seeming fine, had years left in them, and a 320 is how old? Decades younger I'd guess.
The zero series boats have fixed a lot of the problems with older boats, I.E. water tanks,but I do not know when that change was made.

The keel is one of the strong points of an IP, you can run one aground hard, hard enough to tear the liner out of many other boats and break keel bolts, and do no damage whatsoever, I know cause I did it once out of stupidity, missed a buoy in the Ft Pierce inlet I think and slammed into a wall of sand at 7 kts, it was so steep we didn't go aground just slammed into it.
Shy away from an IP keel if you want from performance as it is not the best performer, but not from a strength perspective, cause I don't know if anything is stronger.
Old 28-07-2017, 16:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
My opinion is that likely a PSC is a better open ocean boat than an IP.
All boats have issues, there is no perfect boat, the IP chainplate thing has been overplayed, for less than $12K Mack Sails and others will turn Key change your chainplates out with Titanium ones that will outlast the boat, it's a one time deal, no matter how long you have the boat.
The aluminum water tank is however a concern, but what kind of tank does a PSC have? I don't know. Tank seems to last If you don't chlorinate the water.
My chainplates at 30 were seeming fine, had years left in them, and a 320 is how old? Decades younger I'd guess.
The zero series boats have fixed a lot of the problems with older boats, I.E. water tanks,but I do not know when that change was made.

The keel is one of the strong points of an IP, you can run one aground hard, hard enough to tear the liner out of many other boats and break keel bolts, and do no damage whatsoever, I know cause I did it once out of stupidity, missed a buoy in the Ft Pierce inlet I think and slammed into a wall of sand at 7 kts, it was so steep we didn't go aground just slammed into it.
Shy away from an IP keel if you want from performance as it is not the best performer, but not from a strength perspective, cause I don't know if anything is stronger.
Some early PSC boats had aluminum water and holding tanks. They started using fiberglass molded into the boat at some point, not sure what year, mid 90's maybe.

Tags
island packet