Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2010, 14:18   #1

Island Packet 35 vs 38

I was looking the last few days at these two boats and would appreciate some thoughts on what people think of them from a comparison standpoint. To be used as a boat for a couple in Caribbean and then cross Atlantic and back on the ARC. Around the late 80's to early 90's the prices are actually pretty close. Thanks for any thoughts people have from experience.
Drew
Just so people don't think I'm being lazy, yes, I have searched on here and sailnet about the boats, and have found good reviews of each, just not comparisons.
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 20:27   #2

Perhaps I should clear up what I am asking about, as there have been 78 views and no response, it may be a little too general. I am wondering about the relative sailing characteristics, and opinions on these boats for a couple. The 35 has a forward v berth and single head, very different layout than the 38, and don't know how the two compare for actually living aboard and the reality of day to day life. Any thoughts from people who have been on both would be great.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:11   #3

Boat: Island Packet IP38
I live on a 38 so I am prejudice. Easy answer. Get the largest boat that you can afford and comfortably sail.
Bucky205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:01   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40
I am looking for a used Island Packet and have looked at both the 35 and 38, although I have not sailed them. A big consideration for me is the tankage capacities, especially if you are cruising offshore. The 38 has larger tankage. I also prefer the pullman style berth over a v-berth. Although I have never sailed them, I have heard that they handle and sail very similarly. Hope that is helpful.
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:10   #5

Bucky- Thanks for your thoughts and hopefully I'll be out there cruising with you in about 4 months
CaptainBW- I'll be sailing the 35 this weekend and walking through a 38, happy to let you know what I think after the weekend
Old 05-10-2010, 08:15   #6

I have sailed most of the IP's and like I said I live full time on a 38. They are not fast by any stretch. And sail somewhat similar other than speed. As well IP's do not point exceptionaly well. Larger boats will always be faster. The 38 is faster than the 35 and the 42 is faster than the 38. Hull speed sqrt(lwl) X 1.3 will put you close. Most people who liveaboard will tell you that space is so very precious when living aboard.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:38   #7

Bucky- I noticed you bought the IP about 2 years ago and went through the same boat buying mayhem I'm in the midst of. I know it isn't the fastest steed out there, but I do like the quality, capability and livability of the IPs. Any regrets on your choice?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:53   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
although there is only a 3" difference in LOA, the smaller boat displaces just a tad more than 3/4 what the larger boat displaces. What this means is that the larger boat will handle the (considerable) weight of a liveaboard cruiser much more readily than the smaller one. While these are not considered performance boats, it's best not to settle a boat too far below its waterline, even if performance is not a concern, because the boat's motion and responsiveness will be adversely effected. The quickest way to change a well-mannered boat into a beast is to overload it, which pretty much describes what a cruiser couple will tend to do with any boat smaller than 60 feet.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:33   #9

Boat: Island Packet, 35, - Serendipity
My wife and I have a IP35 that we cruise in FL / Bahamas. When we purchased the boat 3 yrs ago two slips down was a couple who had an IP38 that they cruised 3-6 months continuous per year. While I never got the chance to sail the 38 - I can't see any reason they would not be very similar under sail. The interior layout is very different between the two. Our neighboors had converted their forward head to a workshop / dive gear storage. They actually had a dive compressor installed there as well. Assuming you will use the forward berth on either boat at your primary (better ventilation forward than aft, in addition to more head room) I felt the V berth on the 35 is larger than the berth on the 38.
We are very happy with the boat, and the support of the owners network is outstanding.
Eric M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 15:39   #10

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawg View Post
Bucky- Thanks for your thoughts and hopefully I'll be out there cruising with you in about 4 months
CaptainBW- I'll be sailing the 35 this weekend and walking through a 38, happy to let you know what I think after the weekend
Which 38 are you walking through? Just curious as I'm in the market for one myself.
Old 05-10-2010, 16:45   #11

Boat: Nordhavn 47
We cruised a IP38 for 2 years and loved every minute of it. We buddy boated commonly with 40 and 42 ft boats and very rarely got left behind. It was stable and comfortable and the systems were well made and easy to get to. Our boat is actually back on the market after 12 years or so from Gratitude Yachts. It is the 1993 "Phantasie". I can vouch for it's pedigree and first 4 years if that helps. :-)

We really like the new Estero though if we were doing it again just because we didn't need the extra bath.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:16   #12

Boat: Island Packet 40
Daz,

I don't know if you have considered the IP37, but we looked at one a few months ago in Annapolis, MD that was really nice...clean, well cared for, and good upgrades. We would have made an offer if it had larger tankage (looking for an IP40 or IP380 now). It is not on Yachtworld and I can give you the website and contact info if you are interested.
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:34   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
the 35 was my favorite IP design. i heard it sailed better and was easier to handle then the heavier 38. the 37 was a good one too after that the island packets look like floating condominiums to me.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:34   #14

Lawdawg,

We are very happy with our 38. I still feel that when looking at the used boats I would not limit myself to IP. It limits your selection. I think there were right around 200 38's made total. Finding one used the way you want it is tuff. When we first saw this boat it was not even for sale. We told the owners if it ever sold we were interested. They lost our contact information, but when it went up for sale we saw the listing. Like I said before this is the only home we have. If it were smaller I don't think the misses would syand for it without a house to fall back on. For the money I was wanting to spend (under 150K) these were the boats I lnarrowed it down to these I had found and liked an Endeavor 42, Pearson 424, an IP 38 and an IP 40. Oh yeah and there was a 45' Hunter in St Augustine that she liked. In traveling we see a lot of beutiful boats sale for prices I would never dream the owners would let them go at. I saw a Pearson 424 with dual roller furlings and every piece if imaginible equipment on it go for 65K. The previous owners owned a marina and had put everything in the world on that boat. As well I have friends that have found amazing deals in IP's. You will know the right boat almost from the second you step on board. Were in Port St Joe, FL right now. We leave headed for the Keys Oct 16. I have no hesitation whatsoever taking this boat anywhere in the world. So yes I do love my IP38.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:48   #15

Dwjensen- The broker I am using has set up a walkthrough of an IP38 owner he knows so we can compare the layout, don't think it is on the market, but it will give us a better idea for comparison after we sail the 35 on Saturday.
Bucky- Thank you very much for your thoughts. Part of narrowing down to IP is that I'm on a limited schedule, leaving around the new year, and being in Atlanta it is a trip every time we want to look at a different boat. I have met a few people with larger IPs and every one of them has spoken highly of them, they seem to maintain their value very well, safe and solid built....even if slow by reputation and there seems to be wonderful factory support and a strong network of loyal customers. Unfortunately the 40 is out of the price range as we'd like to be out the door around 130k. I looked at an Endeavor, and it may have just been this boat, but there were a lot of issues with it and things like the cabinet lines not matching up gave me great concern about the quality problems I couldn't see. I also didn't like the steep stairs with nothing to really grab on to for times of heavy seas.
jkleins- I'll look more into that one on yachtworld, it definitely seems like it was set up for cruising, just after years of serious use it may be in need of a serious refit which would blow it out of the budget, I'll have to dig a little more on its background

Thank you all again for more wonderful comments

Tags
island packet