Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2021, 17:23   #1

Boat: B423
Island Packet 370

I see these listings a lot. Family decides to go cruising, family goes cruising for a few months, and family decides they don't like it. Someone, in the family has previously thrown some money into the vessel before setting off. That person believes, rightly or wrongly, that they can recoup that money during the sale.

Said Person

Before said Person

I'm wondering if added equipment and last years navigation technology are now worthless? Perhaps they do have some value. How would you determine the value?
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 16:15   #2

Boat: gozzard 44
Re: Island Packet 370

Electronics don’t go obsolete in a year. Maybe every few years or 10 years
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 16:21   #3

Boat: Seaward 22

That blue bulkhead in the said person link makes me wonder if it had bulkhead issues.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 16:28   #4

Boat: Tartan 40

Well, the market typically sets a range so in the sellers market we’ll find out. Somewhere in between prior and current selling price is likely a good deal IF you wanted all of the upgrades.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 18:02   #5

I see this in aviation all the time.

They take a $50,000 airplane and have a shop install avionics at a cost of $50,000.

They then think they have a $100,000 airplane.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:30   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Electronics only add value if it is exactly what you would add yourself and they were installed to a professional standard. A lot of weekend warriors consider themselves competent and they are woefully inadequate. There’s a lot to be said for a boat which hasn’t been fiddled with.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:38   #7

Boat: Tartan 40
Island Packet 370

Yup. I liked that my boat specifically had all working vintage autohelm/Raymarine instruments and standalone plotter which I replaced as sole upgrade, interfaced to a vesper. 8 years and flawless so far. Sure lacks bells and whistles but I HATE troubleshooting electronics.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:42   #8

Anyone else thinks the "captain's chair" looks like a hidden head? Probably would be a good idea on long passages and draining is super simple

George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 14:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post

They take a $50,000 airplane and have a shop install avionics at a cost of $50,000.

Yes sir, I got about 20 hrs into my PPL and realized GA made sailing look cheap. I can live on a boat and I don't lite cash on fire everytime I'm motoring along, well at least on a sailboat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Well, the market typically sets a range so in the sellers market we’ll find out. Somewhere in between prior and current selling price is likely a good deal IF you wanted all of the upgrades.
I've heard of a publication one can subscribe to that will allow you to see what a boat sold for. Can you clue me in on what that's called? As you can see from my post count I'm new to cruising.
Old 11-08-2021, 15:32   #10

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamshack View Post
I see these listings a lot. Family decides to go cruising, family goes cruising for a few months, and family decides they don't like it. Someone, in the family has previously thrown some money into the vessel before setting off. That person believes, rightly or wrongly, that they can recoup that money during the sale.

Said Person

Before said Person

I'm wondering if added equipment and last years navigation technology are now worthless? Perhaps they do have some value. How would you determine the value?
Its easy to go on ebay and figure out what a used chart plotter etc is worth. If you're like me, and are able and willing to do the installation yourself I don't add any value for that. If not, add the going rate for installation.

I do this all the time buying/selling planes. Figure out what the bare minimum airframe or hull pricing is, make an adjustment for engine hours (on planes easy its engine price / 2,000, not so easy on boats), then make an adjustment up or down for the value of the additional equipment THAT YOU WOULD INSTALL or that is missing. additional adjustments for damage history, cosmetics and so on.

If the boat has x piece of equipment on it, but you don't want it, wouldn't use it, superfluous to your mission, don't price it in.

Now, this is all great when its a buyers market and there are several models of boat x to choose from and compare. Its useless when its a sellers market or the boat is unique and desirable to you because of that.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 15:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post

Right. They forget that the buyer is buying used avionics, not new avionics. And also assume the buyer wants/needs specifically their choices of gear and configuration.

One reason to go experimental
Old 11-08-2021, 15:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamshack View Post
Yes sir, I got about 20 hrs into my PPL and realized GA made sailing look cheap. I can live on a boat and I don't lite cash on fire everytime I'm motoring along, well at least on a sailboat.

I've heard of a publication one can subscribe to that will allow you to see what a boat sold for. Can you clue me in on what that's called? As you can see from my post count I'm new to cruising.
I bought a subscription (monthly) to bucvalu pro when I was shopping. It was worth the price - ~$30 I think. Helped me understand the market a bit.
Old 12-08-2021, 14:27   #13

Thank you guys, I really appreciate this. The usual suspect, like NADA, do not return hull values on even mass produced vessels. As an example I threw in a Catalina 42 and the return was "not enough data for example" :-(. Didn't Catalina make 1000 of these.

Oh and the planes, ya i guess go experimental. You still really don't save a lot (certified vs non certified). and then the FAA moanes about where you can and cannot fly the thing.

Thanks goodness for the boating community, let's continue to fight the fed.

Tags
island packet