Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2023, 14:39   #16

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: Island Packet 420 Sinks Off CT Mooring

I've gotten into the habit of flipping my Mantus upside down on the bow roller while on the mooring and tying the roll bar off to the bow pulpit. That keeps the sharp edges away from the pendant. The roll bar then is above the pendant, but if it were to hit it would just push the line away.
When a storm is forecast the anchor comes off the roller and lines get doubled
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 14:42   #17

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
I was surprised to read that IP's keels were bolt on and given they are full keel, I would agree, probably not...I am looking for where I read they were bolt on, I think, "Life of Sail". So doing additional digging...thnks
Of course the IP keel is fully encapsulated, not bolted on. Even a fully encapsulated, full keel can come to grief on the rocks.
jkishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 14:45   #18

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

There are AI generated responses afoot
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 16:29   #19

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I remove my anchor every time I pick up a mooring. It is commonsense to prevent chafe in even moderate conditions.
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 16:50   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
There are AI generated responses afoot

I share the same feeling.
Old 06-09-2023, 17:00   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
I was surprised to read that IP's keels were bolt on and given they are full keel, I would agree, probably not...I am looking for where I read they were bolt on, I think, "Life of Sail". So doing additional digging...thnks

I’ve not read anything from “life of sailing” that would lead me to treat that blog as anything but poorly written entertainment.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 17:08   #22

Location: Salish Sea in summer/Puerto Vallarta in the winter - no boat just sun and beaches!
Boat: Benford 34 Junk Schooner

No one in this thread has mentioned that there is an obvious alternative method of attaching lines to a mooring buoy - use a Y-harness - two lines lead through the port and starboard hawse pipes that exist on many boats, or over a smooth coaming from cleats well forward, and then down to a single line going to the buoy. And I always put chafing gear on these lines where they go through the hawse pipes. Never, ever use the roller designed for anchor rodes. And with anchor rodes I always attach an elastic spring line lead to a hawse pipe. Leaving your vessel with a single line attached to a place that can get fouled is a recipe for disaster!
PaulSommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 17:17   #23

The island that it was moored near (Tuxis Island) is less than 4 acres and low. This would be an exposed anchorage /mooring with a potential fetch of more than 10 miles from the west,east and south.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 17:26   #24

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Is removing anchors from the bow while on a mooring really a common thing?
Sad loss of great boat.
I'm in a exposed mooring field on Long Island sound and my bow anchors are always in the anchor locker while moored. Also made up 2 Amsteel pennants with chafe gear that luggage tag to nylon mooring lines.
I was lucky when mooring line chafed thru during hurricane Gloria years ago.
Boat came to a soft landing on sand.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 17:30   #25

Boat: Sabre 34

For those saying they routinely remove their anchors when moored I just cannot imagine it being feasible, at least for me. My 35 pounder cannot pass through the pulpit, I would have to lower it to slack the chain, and then somehow lift it up from the side while leaning over the pulpit - a back breaking maneuver for sure.

Also, I pass the mooring lines through chocks on either side then cleat them off, it will be very unlikely for the lines to come in contact with the anchor. Our boat spends summers on a mooring ball, and it has made it through various storms over the years, not once have I seen any significant chafe on the mooring lines.

A final point - if I am expecting a storm I would not want to stow away my primary anchor, it has to be ready to deploy.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 18:19   #26

The need, or lack thereof, to remove your anchors is strictly dependent on the configuration of your bow.

Some boats will chew a mooring line to bits with the anchor, and on others there is no way the mooring line can ever touch the anchor. On a lot of boats you don't have to remove the anchor, you can just tie it up a bit higher to the pulpit, in other boats this doesn't work. It is not rocket science. If a line rubs on a sharp corner it will be destroyed. If you ignore it, you will eventually come to grief.

Kind of a common theme on most internet sailing forums. Anytime somebody says "always" or "never" about cruising, the safe bet is they are wrong.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 18:26   #27

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
For those saying they routinely remove their anchors when moored I just cannot imagine it being feasible, at least for me. My 35 pounder cannot pass through the pulpit, I would have to lower it to slack the chain, and then somehow lift it up from the side while leaning over the pulpit - a back breaking maneuver for sure.

A final point - if I am expecting a storm I would not want to stow away my primary anchor, it has to be ready to deploy.
In my case, I can get my Mantus 25 lb. thru the pulpit onto a bow roller from my anchor locker with ease.
Am able to deploy bow or stern anchor in 30-60 seconds, single handed or with crew. (and have drilled for this)

If I am expecting a storm, my primary stays in locker and I break out the
35 lb. Mantus storm anchor connect to all chain rode. (Is true, will take
10 minutes)
...unless boat is on our mooring with no anchor to chew up mooring line.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 18:27   #28

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Is removing anchors from the bow while on a mooring really a common thing?
We've removed the anchor from our bow roller because it can chafe the mooring line. It fits in the anchor locker at the bow of our Sabre 402 so it is still readily available to use if needed.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 19:29   #29

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Our anchor fits snug against the bow. The hawse holes are set back enough that they are far apart. Our anchor does not chafe.
I see other boats, and I have owned other boats, where chafe is a real issue. Pull the anchor up a foot with a halyard. Lower it into the water just at the surface. Turn it upside down. Pull it off the bow draping the rode over the pulpit. I’ve seen all those solutions.
But know your boat and pay attention.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 21:17   #30
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I simply use a single line to a bow cleat, normally at starboard side. This eliminates all chafe issues.

Better is a lower attachment point on the bow, like just above the waterline. This is the strongest point of the boat and it gives optimal scope and no chafing.

To remove the anchor from the roller, attach a jib or spinnaker halyard to the attachment for a trip line. Now hoist it up while pushing the halyard forward until the anchor is high enough to come aft above the pushpit. I do this with a 176lb anchor.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet, mooring