Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2023, 00:46   #31

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Island Packet 420 Sinks Off CT Mooring

This is why you should put your anchor on deck.
30kt Aug blow-shallow (15ft) water.
Cheers/LenClick image for larger version

Name:	Stormy-Aug 2011.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	280608
Old 07-09-2023, 05:17   #32

Boat: 41' yawl

Posters claiming they can't imagine their mooring lines and bow anchor deciding to play together ought to consider what happens if high winds come from the direction of maximum fetch in your mooring field. I was amazed at the gymnastic feats my tackle managed to perform once the boat got to hobby horsing, i thought my bower and mooring pendants were in different zipcodes, imagine my surprise to find them shacked up together.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 06:23   #33

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
This is why you should put your anchor on deck.
30kt Aug blow-shallow (15ft) water.
Cheers/LenAttachment 280608
If conditions look like that in 30 kts, I'd rather be somewhere else. Doesn't strike me as a viable anchorage or mooring field in that wind direction.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 07:11   #34

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

As follow up to my earlier note of "bolt on keel" for this IP, consider it withdrawn. On the current IP yacht site (https://ipy.com/construction/) it is specifically noted that the ballast is encapsulated.. I am assuming that this build was also the practice in 2001, the year of this boat. thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 08:53   #35

Boat: Tartan 3800

I don't know the area, but... charts...

Navionics: https://webapp.navionics.com/#boatin...y=%7B~zzFh~azL

Waterway guide: https://waterwayguide.com/explorer?l...32&mode=marina

I would draw some entirely different lessons from this.

Unless someone with local knowledge can clarify what's going on, there do not appear to be any anchoring restrictions in this area. There are no mooring balls or fields marked on the charts. Tuxis Island provides but little shelter. I think the better move would be to anchor in a more protected location (Waterway guide marks several likely looking areas, some protected by jetties), or utilize a slip at one of the many nearby marinas particularly when leaving the boat unattended in unsettled weather.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:15   #36

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Is removing anchors from the bow while on a mooring really a common thing?
Sounds like it would be for this particular anchorage.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 07:25   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Removing our 54 kilo ROCNA and 54# Bruce is entirely impractical. Figure another way to moor.
On Roxy, 40 tons, 58 feet we experimented with several plans using our bow chocks. Bow rollers are both holding anchors secure. What we found:

3/4 through 1-1/2 inch nylon 3-strand with or without Kevlar chafe lasted 24-48 hours in a lively anchorage. The 10 inches between the cleats and hawse opening in the thwart permitted visible stretch 1/2 to 1 inch sawing at the hawse.

1” quality yacht braid with less stretch lasted weeks to two months.

I switched to 20mm Dynema. Stitched on Kevlar chafe. I just replaced the bridle last season after 6 years. Before you all deride this, Where is the stretch? Go look at heavy super yachts and commercial boats. There is NO stretchy stuff. There is a point where the boat inertia, mass exceeds the practical use of a stretchy mooring. If we need to change the swing or soften impact we let out anchor chain. We never use moorings if anchoring is possible. Moorings only in sheltered harbors and settled weather.

On a mooring we use port and starboard separate lines with chafe. If the mooring ring is rough you must use a shackle with positive locking closure to protect lines.

What we have noticed other supposedly seasoned cruisers do wrong that can chafe mooring tackle:

Run a line, any material, from port to starboard through the mooring pendant. This will destroy the line in one afternoon. Always use two lines, port and starboard separately, cleat - pendant - same cleat. Do this for each side.

Use no boat pendant and pull the pendant onto the bow over roller or through hawse.

Pull the ball close enough to hammer the hull all night.

Fail to dive and inspect the pendant attachment to the mooring.

Fail to use chafe protection.

I’ve also noticed how often ground tackle including moorings is too small.

Photos, Roxy ground tackle. Note the anchorage forerunner as swivel. Way less cost, less than $200. Compared to SS boat jewelry. The swivel is remote from the anchor but its links pass through everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2664.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	280819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2667.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	280820  

Name:	IMG_3296.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	280822   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0523.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	280824  

Name:	IMG_7560.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	280825   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6722.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	280826  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 14:28   #38

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
For those saying they routinely remove their anchors when moored I just cannot imagine it being feasible, at least for me.
For me, there is a rule that if a mooring or anchor line goes anywhere close to something sharp like an anchor either the line gets rerouted or the sharp object gets moved, with or without chafing gear available. I had the opportunity to observe many (dozens at least) large boats on the beach or the rocks after Hurricane Bob and most of them were there because of chafed through mooring lines. Yes, some dragged their moorings right ashore, but most were due to chafe. One advantage of rollbar anchors like Rocnas and Mantus is the bar is a perfect handle making it easier to lift the anchor off a roller and move it onto the boat, or possibly you can hang it on the bow pulpit. I do that routinely with my 45-pound Mantus every time I use a mooring.
Old 11-09-2023, 20:07   #39

I tie my anchor up so it does not rub.

If leaving for a while, I also tie another line around the mooring ball.
cakesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 21:12   #40

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

For vessels with larger or difficult to reach anchors:

Instead of bringing the anchor(s) aboard, perhaps the anchor could be lowered into the water and suspended by a vertical tether, aft.

The procedure would be to first attach the tether to the anchor and belay the tail along the gunwale somewhere aft. Then, simply let go the anchor until all of the weight is supported by the tether. Chain would be drooping below the anchor, not unlike when a snubber is used.

Note: The above is just and idea. I have never done it.
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 22:05   #41

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
For vessels with larger or difficult to reach anchors:

Instead of bringing the anchor(s) aboard, perhaps the anchor could be lowered into the water and suspended by a vertical tether, aft.

The procedure would be to first attach the tether to the anchor and belay the tail along the gunwale somewhere aft. Then, simply let go the anchor until all of the weight is supported by the tether. Chain would be drooping below the anchor, not unlike when a snubber is used.

Note: The above is just and idea. I have never done it.
Are you disconnecting the anchor from its rode in this scenario?
Oh wait, never mind, I get it. The only thing about that is, in the middle of the night, if you need to make an exit or something, will it be a hassle to deal with? I guess not as long as the tether doesn't get loose and foul the prop.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 05:57   #42

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Are you disconnecting the anchor from its rode in this scenario?
Oh wait, never mind, I get it. The only thing about that is, in the middle of the night, if you need to make an exit or something, will it be a hassle to deal with? I guess not as long as the tether doesn't get loose and foul the prop.

Depending on how it's done, dealing with it should be simple. Slack the tether and pull the anchor back into the roller.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 06:04   #43

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
If the conditions are such that you might have the mooring pendant chafe on the anchor the last thing you want is an anchor over the side swinging around. Try pulling it up to the bow pulpit with a haliard and then hooking it over the pulpit. I pick up my anchor manually and do that on the pulpit. By the way, another thing to keep in mind is you need to prevent the mooring line from being pulled vertically up and off the bow roller in violent conditions where the bow is plunging into waves.
Old 12-09-2023, 06:40   #44

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
If the conditions are such that you might have the mooring pendant chafe on the anchor the last thing you want is an anchor over the side swinging around..........
I was imagining the anchor being suspended well below the keel and well aft (amidship?) so as not to be receiving much "up and down" motion.

This is probably not ideal, but I was thinking of situations where moving/removing the anchor is just not feasible (frail crew, large anchors, inaccessible anchors, conditions already deteriorated, etc.)
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet, mooring