Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2017, 09:05   #496

Re: Island Packet Closing doors

A few points worth making for those interested.

In many ways I dont think you can compare an IP with other leading manufacturers' boats because IP's have long keels. Long keels are not everyones choice, and their benefits and disadvantages is another debate. Personally for very light handed long distance sailing I love the idea of a long keel and the sea keeping qualities of a big IP hence the 485, but I respect that others have a different view.

I dont agree the designs are especially dated, unless you consider a long keel dated. The interiors are very modern and work very well at sea. There are perhaps the odd querky feature you will not see elsewhere, but they are few.

IPs are very well constructed, very solid, very sea kindly boats that afford generous and comfortable accomodation relative to their size. They are easily handled by two (including the 485) and will look after you in just about any weather. One of my friends owns a similiar sized Beneteau, he had never sailed a 485. We sailed in a stiff breeze F6 and good seaway. He just could nto beleive how different the 485 felt and the extent to which it ploughed through the conditions. For me that summed it up, if you want to cruise in comfort, arent too bothered about the extra knot, and live on board in comfort an IP is a good answer.
Ip485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 10:00   #497
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Chainplates are really not an issue, its a $10K check, just plan on that when pricing the boat if its an older boat. Being encapsulated means that they are incredibly strong, the load is spread over a large portion of the hull.
Forget inspecting, they are a replacement item with a life limit. Mine hit 30 this year and I don't trust them in anything more than a breeze, so it's off to Mack Sails for me to write that $10K check that I am sure will very quickly turn into a $20K check with all the other things I want done. But the replacement chainplates will last much longer being 316 as opposed to 304, and It's very unlikely I will be still sailing in 30 years, and then the boat will be 60, likely time for her retirement anyway.
The aluminum water tank worries me though, I wish it were plastic.
You know what, I gladly swap that $10K of chainplates once in a boats life for the decks that can't get wet, wet decks worry me a lot more than life limited chainplates.
I don't have to worry about keel bolts and any groundings not on rocks or in the surf, groundings in an IP are a nuisance, not a matter of life and death.
I have never heard of an IP losing a rudder or steering, not saying it hasn't or can't happen, but think it's rare occurrence.
I kind of even like that at 30 yrs old, she is blister free too, although I am sure some are not?
Lord I hope I never hit any fish farms, but if I do, I bet I won't lose my rudder and nearly tear my sail drive out of the boat either, I bet I would have sailed right over, wondering what was that we hit?

IP's are not for everyone, as many have said owners prioritize safety and comfort over speed, good thing too cause I am sure mine will only see ten knots if its behind a transport truck
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 10:12   #498
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

A64,

Call Allied Titanium an have them make up a set of Ti chainplates for you. We did so many of them for IP that they gave us their CAD drawings and considered making it a standard option. I think the youngest boat we replaced the chainplates on was about 10 years old.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 10:18   #499

If there's anything wrong with chain plates since 1995 it means the owners did not do recommended maintenance to the chain plate bedding.

It needs to be inspected every year and usually replaced after 4. Easy to prevent ever having a chain plate problem.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 11:50   #500

No problems with the chain plates on the 485, or many of the later builds.

The 485 also has fibreglass tanks, (for fresh and black water), although the diesel is aluminium. In some ways I wish they had fitted a stainless tank for the diesel but it is rare for anyone to do that. With care it should not be a problem for a long time anyway.

In all credit to IP I have had so few problems with my 485, in fact come to think about it just about all routine maintenance, with the odd exception of some third party parts from the usual parts bin that Oyster, HB et al all use.

As irrational as it may be I am not keen globe trotting with a fin keel or skeg hung rudder. How an IP would get on hitting a whale charging along at 10 + knots (the IP not the whale) I have no idea and no wish to find out, but I am guessing the whale would come off worse. Oh and I often see more than 10 knots downhill and in a good breeze so she is not that much of a slouch.

The other aspect I finding interesting is the often heard comments about the cream finish. I know its odd in a sea of bright white boats, but I have come to look at it as the cream on top of the milk and rather like being a little different, but I guess you would need to be to own an IP to know.
Old 31-01-2017, 12:00   #501
CLOD

Boat: none

Funny people saying there are lots of people who will buy an outdated overpriced boat (like an ip) when the facts say otherwise!
Old 31-01-2017, 12:07   #502

Yeah, I think the fold out table works really well on the other models. On the 485 the table is vast, so no longer becomes cosy and guests and hosts far too far apart. It is pretty easy to replace the table with a more conventional fixed table on the starboard side with comfortable seating for six, leaving an ample space between the table and port settee. It is a fine layout and is one of the few things I would (and have) changed about the interior layout.
Old 31-01-2017, 12:21   #503

I like folding out the table...makes plenty of flat space for when we make pasta, pizzas or sausage.

It is rather large for 4 people eating dinner though,and for that we have 2 portable chairs to put on the port side of the folded table.

My wife like to swing the table up out of the way so she can do her yoga and exercise.

Oh...I did hit a rock last summer up in Desolation Sound...I was going 6.5 knots ...terrific crash and I had to put up the main to angle us off it. Ended up a 6" long gouge about 1/2" deep and we patched it up next haul out no biggie.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 13:22   #504
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
A64,

Call Allied Titanium an have them make up a set of Ti chainplates for you. We did so many of them for IP that they gave us their CAD drawings and considered making it a standard option. I think the youngest boat we replaced the chainplates on was about 10 years old.

Would you mind posting a contact number or PM it too me?
I had considered Ti, but seeing as how the plates are welded from several pieces figured Ti was unworkable, I believe Ti has to be submerge welded, but I am getting close to ordering chainplates, very close as replacement should be In Jun or July.
Old 31-01-2017, 13:42   #505
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Allied Titanium, Inc.
Phone: (302) 722-8200
Toll free: (800) 725-8143
Fax: (302) 497-7111
Web ➥ Allied Titanium - Affordable Titanium Now
And ➥ https://www.alliedtitanium.com/produ...dc_Results.php

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 13:46   #506

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I had considered Ti, but seeing as how the plates are welded from several pieces figured Ti was unworkable, I believe Ti has to be submerge welded, but I am getting close to ordering chainplates, very close as replacement should be In Jun or July.
A64, if the Ti doesn't work out due to fabrication issues, consider having them made from 2205 duplex stainless. Considerably stronger than 316 and with far better corrosion resistance... and considerably less expensive than Ti to buy and to fabricate.

Jim
Old 31-01-2017, 14:49   #507
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
It's not quite that bad to weld titanium, it just needs gas shielding on both sides of the weld. For the IP's there is a schematic for both welded together and bolt together chainplates. You cannot use bolted together stainless because of corrosion issues, but since titanium doesn't corrode it isn't a concern.If you use G2 Ti chainplates, bolts, and nylock nuts, the whole thing can be encapsulated without concern of corrosion.

This is reaching back a couple of years, but I think a full set was in the $1,500 range per boat. I haven't worked for Allied in 3-4 year's so I am sure my data i bad, but I am not sure which way. Ti pics have been in decline for years, so they maybe cheaper now than when I left.

Old 31-01-2017, 15:23   #508
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Island Packet Closing doors

Just got off the phone with Kevin at Allied, he is supposed to send an email, has tried twice without success. I did talk with him and they use grade 5 he said, I don't know about grades, but asked him if it was 2.5/3 or 6/4, he said 6/4 which to sound stupid but in aircraft materials that is the good stuff. He said they weld Ti all the time.
Just need to get a quote, I'm sure it's more than $1,500 but unless it's multiples more, I think I will go with Ti.
I had been wanting Ti, but figured it was stupid overkill and way too expensive, but we will see.

Jim if the Ti thing doesn't work out, I'll look into the 2205. I know Mack Sails likes calling Garhauer and having them made from 316 L
Ti should easily have the margins to be original sized, where they oversized the 316 to get the same strength as 304.
Old 31-01-2017, 16:02   #509
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Kevin at Allied, he is supposed to send an email, has tried twice without success. I did talk with him and they use grade 5 he said, I don't know about grades, but asked him if it was 2.5/3 or 6/4, he said 6/4 which to sound stupid but in aircraft materials that is the good stuff. He said they weld Ti all the time.
Just need to get a quote, I'm sure it's more than $1,500 but unless it's multiples more, I think I will go with Ti.
I had been wanting Ti, but figured it was stupid overkill and way too expensive, but we will see.

Jim if the Ti thing doesn't work out, I'll look into the 2205. I know Mack Sails likes calling Garhauer and having them made from 316 L
Ti should easily have the margins to be original sized, where they oversized the 316 to get the same strength as 304.
The ar three principle grades of Ti in common use (and a whole ton in specialized applications).

G2 is commercially pure Ti 99.8% pure(or so) titanium. Is has roughly the same strength characteristics of 304 stainless and is easier to machine than...

G5 or 6al4v (6% aluminium 4% vanadium, 90% titanium). G5 is the 'base' aerospace grade and is has a yield strength roughly five times that of 304, and about double the tensile strength of 304. It is also harder to machine.

G9 or 3al2v is usd for structural pipe and tubing. It's a G5 knockoff designed to be weaker, and therefore easier to bend. Roughly the same strength as 304 tubing.

For chainplates I would go with G2, unless the price difference is minimal. And while it won't matter for an IP they are all about 1/2 the weight of stainless. So it's bonus pounds off the boat.

If you wouldn't mind I would be curious what they quote you for them.

Old 31-01-2017, 16:11   #510
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My Lightspeed Ultimate bicycle is 3% aluminum 2.5% vanadium I think.
6/4 came later, you really can't make 6/4 tube, they roll a sheet and weld it to make tubing or used to back then.

Tags
island packet