Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2011, 09:05   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Island Trader 36

LOL.... who cares...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 09:21   #17

Re: Island Trader 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
Thank you for ruining my day. I have been looking at a union 36 and now i have to take a look at the above yacht. Really ruined my day, so confused now

what problems ca i expect with it. Another leaky teaky???
You'll be better with the Union... the CL's are great looking but not well built boats.... JMHO of course!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 17:01   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbee View Post
Does anyone know anything about this boat? The particular one is question is a 1983, currently sitting in freshwater with a price tag of $75K.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Mel
I don't know this particular one, but I owned and sailed one like it for 12 years. It is a fantastic easy comfortable boat. I got it in the water in Greece, sailed the Eastern Mediterranean Sea: Turkey, Cyprus, Israel, Egypt, Red Sea. East to Italy, France, Spain, Morocco, Canary Islands, Cape Verde, All the West Indian islands, went ashore on Sint Maarten/Saint Martin in 1990. Lived 12 years on board, with 1 month off per year for anti fouling and maintenance. Sold her for the price I bought her. (50K) Wooden spars varnished like golden poles, no electronics but the bare necessities, sextant, tables, hand held calculator, Walker log, VHF radio, depth sounder.
This boat is the most beautiful boat in its size ever made! You'll be the envy of many same length boats. Because mine was a ketch I could leave port with a force 7 blowing outside, a working jib and the ketch sail got she going any time. It had a Volvo 3 cylinder, possible to hand start. But that engine needed a free water pump installed with a belt from the flywheel, the integrated seawater cooling pump can leak water in the oil.
Captain Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 10:24   #19

Boat: catamaran custom 36

I am new in this forum. I would profit,sorry, to know if someone knows island trader 40 motorsailor and give to me some infos. I am buying one 1985 built and I have not idea what boat is. I worry he rolls much resulting dangerous unstable with big wave.
danieledam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 17:57   #20

Location: Auckland New Zealand {land of the long white cloud}
Boat: William Garden Transworld 41
pirate Re: Island Trader 36

welcome danieledam to the forums,I have had my island trader 41 for nearly a year now, she is in need of some tlc but she has good bones and can handle any sea comfortably, you will fall maddly in love with this yacht
Old 21-12-2011, 06:18   #21

Boat: catamaran custom 36

many tks pauliebear for yor reply. but you spoke about island trader 41 that is a real ketch sailingboat I asked about island trader 40 motorsailor quite completely another boat. Maybe is as you said I don't know I am afraid that rolls much and quite sure do not tack well front the sea. anyway I will to a test sailing with it before buying. I come from catamaran now lost and I am searching a boat that can front the sea from west - mexico,guatemala,panama to return to santo domingo - and a strong boat with a strong engines can permit me to do the round without loose a lot of time for awaiting a appriopriate forecast. tks
danieledam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 14:48   #22

Re: Island Trader 37

One of the more encouraging reason's I registered with the Cruiser World Forum is to discuss sailing and I see there is an old stream referencing the Island Trader Ketch vessels and I wonder about the negative comments and how justified they are when in general most boats have similar issues when age creeps in.
However when it comes to sailing I have enjoyed sailing the Island Trader Ketch 37" for a couple years. if you want a faster boat you can always find one. It is a grim feeling to sail side by side another vessel and continue to fall back as time goes on. I agree but
Island Traders I find sail just fine with a steady 6 plus knot breeze. in fact it is the heavier winds 15 knots or more I experience the misfortune of not keeping up.
I sailed from Mobile to St Petersburg cutting across the golf on a couple occasions with the Island Trader and in some serious weather conditions through out the night, I experience a solid warm feeling with the stability and control of the Island Trader and was proud of her.
With that said the old girl has no common leaks you all speak of and hull is solid as a rock with absolutely no issues and I would recommend her to anyone who would like a steady secure sailing experience.
But like any boat once you let them go they to will be expensive to bring back to a proud level of refurbishment.
Its a good old classic like mentioned above and turns heads with many compliments.
Captain Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 16:20   #23

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Shaw View Post
However when it comes to sailing I have enjoyed sailing the Island Trader Ketch 37" for a couple years. if you want a faster boat you can always find one.
Yes, the 37 inchers were very good sailors. It is when they went over 4' that things got bad!

Welcome to the site Captain Shaw, and please forgive my little joke!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 17:11   #24

Dear Mark, thank you pointing out the error of my ways, I see I need to be more conscientious about my grammar or punctuation.
And to think I actually looked for typo's
Or maybe I should just get a bigger boat.
Old 17-02-2014, 18:46   #25
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Shaw View Post
One of the more encouraging reason's I registered with the Cruiser World Forum is to discuss sailing and I see there is an old stream referencing the Island Trader Ketch vessels and I wonder about the negative comments and how justified they are when in general most boats have similar issues when age creeps in.
It's a opinion based phenomena. There are poorly built well maintained boats that are more seaworthy than well built poorly maintained ones.

Anyone who has spent time in a boatyard that builds can tell you the quality of workers is hit or miss on any given project from start to finish.

When I was looking for my Alden 44 which is typically regarded as a very well built boat I went on plenty I would not cross a lake on.

All this brand awareness reminds me of when Apple put out that infamous super bowl commercial. The quality of product they produced varied greatly over the years and their brand overall remained the same.

I grew up working in Eastern North Carolina boat yards specifically in Carteret County. Although I never built a sailboat I wonder how many current owners of the boats I did work on knew a 13 year old kid welded their T-top or finished the woodwork in their 5 million dollar sportfish. I recently saw a sportfish on Yachtworld I worked when I was 15 or 16 listed for 700k on yachtworld. Although it was a well built boat the Broker did not have a clue what he was marketing.

That's what they call on the job experience. Just hope your boat was not completed by the apprentice. As a kid I got put on projects where the new owner wanted cut corners. Although I did the best job I could I was not the brand or the master representing my work. Not to sound cynical it's just a fact of the business of building boats.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 19:32   #26

Satdiver, great point indeed.
Maybe that is why I appreciate my boats. I am critical of workmanship and quality or at least try to be.

Tags
island trader