Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 17:32   #31

Boat: Islander 36
Thumbs up Re: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
I have tripped over this boat in Australia.

I have done a heap of Internet research and they appear strong and if maintained reasonably bullet proof.

This one has just sailed from the USA to OZ so is well kitted out.

Was built in about 84 in California just before the factory went to Mexico.

They are not well known in OZ so I was hoping you could tell me the good the bad and the ugly!

To put it in context we were looking at a Crealock - very different boat but I think realistically we are several years off a big trip. This seems a more practical hull & rig for the next stage of coastal sailing.
Well having bought that boat I have to say you should have been quicker, she's a dream for her age. Next week she goes on the hard to replace some through hull fittings and routine antifoul, has been a great boat and can recommend that style of boat to anyone wanting to have a safe reliable learning curve. Don't see why there aren't more of them out here, just a great boat for Morton Bay anytime of year
cheers Wayne
wayina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 18:49   #32

Boat: 72 Islander 36
Re: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Higgins View Post
Lonestar - Couple of questions. Can you fill me in on how the keel is attached? - either molded or placed-in-cavity? And if you have tiller steering, how happy are you with it?

Like you said, these boats really do look like good deals - there's a 1972 model in Kansas (fG's sake!) that lists for $18,000. Of course it would cost $5,000 to get it to salt water. Another 1982 model in SoCal that is well equipped and asking $43,000.
Hi. I was just looking around & saw this. I bought the Ks boat and yes, we're a bit away from the coast, but with good luck and some elbow grease, maybe we'll make it there some day.

This one came from Orlando by way of the Lake of the Ozarks and to Lake Perry, Ks.

Hard to say where it will end up.
wbranner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 15:29   #33

Masthead

I am looking to replace the wire halyards with rope halyards. Does anyone have any closeups of the masthead so I can see what I have to work with without taking the mast down or climbing up?

Has anyone replaced the sheaves at the top before and know how I'd go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15-12-2011, 16:15   #34

I can let you know next week as the mast is coming out on Monday and I will commence re rigging and replacing the wire loom and the halyards/sheaves plus repainting it, Oh happy days
Old 15-12-2011, 16:58   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Why do you want to change the masthead sheaves?? If it is a LeFiel stick and probably all other manufacturers, the sheaves are rope/wire sheaves, They will work just fine with either material. We sailed to SoPac and back with our previous boat with rope halyards in rope/wire sheaves. The subsequent owner sailed twice to SoPac with rope halyards in the same sheaves. My current boat had wire halyards for it's first 40 years. I switched out the wire halyards for rope 6 years ago and have sailed to Hawaii with no problems. No need to switch out the sheaves to convert from rope to wire. An inspection wouldn't hurt to be sure that they there are no burrs on the sheaves. Mine were just fine even though the wire was getting a bit ratty by the time I scrapped it, though.

FWIW, when I went up to look at the sheaves discovered broken wires on the headstay so I'd go up the mast just because.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 17:29   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Why do you want to change the masthead sheaves?? If it is a LeFiel stick and probably all other manufacturers, the sheaves are rope/wire sheaves, They will work just fine with either material. We sailed to SoPac and back with our previous boat with rope halyards in rope/wire sheaves. The subsequent owner sailed twice to SoPac with rope halyards in the same sheaves. My current boat had wire halyards for it's first 40 years. I switched out the wire halyards for rope 6 years ago and have sailed to Hawaii with no problems. No need to switch out the sheaves to convert from rope to wire. An inspection wouldn't hurt to be sure that they there are no burrs on the sheaves. Mine were just fine even though the wire was getting a bit ratty by the time I scrapped it, though.

FWIW, when I went up to look at the sheaves discovered broken wires on the headstay so I'd go up the mast just because.

Given that the boat was launched in 1985, I guess 26 years would have an impact on the sheaves, so paying several thousand dollars to upgrade/replace mast appendages I would hate for a sheave to split or break when I had the chance to change it, makes sense you know it does.
Old 15-12-2011, 18:43   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

No I don't know that it does. If they ain't broke and still have life left in it, leave it. My boat was built in '69 and the sheaves were/are just dandy after several thousand more miles of sailing. Mast head sheaves are among the least problematic peice of hardware on the boat. If they are aluminum, they will not split. About the only thing to go wrong is to have them seize up on the axle or the bearing to wear out . If they were built with bronze self lubricating bearings, that is usually not an issue. You don't need to change wire/rope sheaves that are still functional to change over to rope halyards.

If you must,. it's a few hundred dollars for new sheaves from Garhauer or over a thousand from Harken. The Harken sheaves sure are pretty, however. The Garhauer 36MH 3" sheaves with 1/2" axle puka are $48.50 each. The sheaves will probably ride on a solid axle like a bolt with a nut holding it in place. The other alternative is a hollow or solid axle with cotter pins locating it.

What you might think about doing is running your halyards internal, if they aren't already. That will free up the other set of masthead sheaves to run a spare halyard externally. Having that extra halyard saved my butt when a headsail flogging in 40 knot wind pulled the Halyard out on the way to the Marquesas. That saved my butt from having to go to the mast head in some nasty conditions. All you need to do is cut a slot in the mast for the halyard to exit if you go that route.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 19:14   #38

nuff said
Old 16-12-2011, 05:59   #39

Thanks all. Let me know how it goes and I would still like pics if you can get them and any specs about what is needed to replace them. My halyards look to be original and are obviously questionable on whether they can carry weight. Also, if I do have to get up the mast, I'd rather know what I'm counting on to hold me up there.
Old 16-12-2011, 07:41   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayina View Post
I can let you know next week as the mast is coming out on Monday and I will commence re rigging and replacing the wire loom and the halyards/sheaves plus repainting it, Oh happy days
I would be very appreciative and photos would be excellent if you could. I'd like to see what size they are and how they are mounted.
Old 16-12-2011, 14:32   #41
Marine Service Provider

Good boat. We put sails on one that had previously circumnavigated. Be sure and check the tabbing for the knees as I know that has loosened up on a few I-36's. A bit of a messy job but very doable.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 14:00   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbranner View Post
I would be very appreciative and photos would be excellent if you could. I'd like to see what size they are and how they are mounted.
Its now been changed to tuesday, not a problem will take a few pics, this is the firrst time I have pulled a mast, but thankfully not the riggers, must admit I'm starting to get nervous lol.
cheers Wayne
Old 18-12-2011, 14:58   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandplanet View Post
Good boat. We put sails on one that had previously circumnavigated. Be sure and check the tabbing for the knees as I know that has loosened up on a few I-36's. A bit of a messy job but very doable.
I think they are fantastic, I'm not a racer, hmmm insurance won't allow it, however for my purpose it's very hard to beat
Old 18-12-2011, 16:06   #44

Boat: Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayina View Post
Well having bought that boat I have to say you should have been quicker, she's a dream for her age. Next week she goes on the hard to replace some through hull fittings and routine antifoul, has been a great boat and can recommend that style of boat to anyone wanting to have a safe reliable learning curve. Don't see why there aren't more of them out here, just a great boat for Morton Bay anytime of year
cheers Wayne
Well thanks, lovely way to introduce yourself to a forum.

I am well aware of how you came about the boat and as disappointed as I was by your actions I wish you well with her.

Suffice to say I no longer post details of the boats I am looking at online as a result.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 16:16   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
Well thanks, lovely way to introduce yourself to a forum.

I am well aware of how you came about the boat and as disappointed as I was by your actions I wish you well with her.

Suffice to say I no longer post details of the boats I am looking at online as a result.
Would you care to explain yourself regarding these comments you made, or at least clarify " I am well aware of how you came about the boat", I bought that boat from the dealer totally above board, cash payment. Saw the add on australia wide boat sales, rang up, it was available, went and viewed it same day, payed asking price, Sound a bit like sour grapes to me