Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2011, 18:06   #1

Islander 41 IOR

Hello all. I was hoping someone can give me some feedback on a potential boat purchase. I have been on the prowl for bluewater cruiser in the 38'-41' range and came across a 74' Islander 41. Only 6 or these were made and it's an IOR rated boat which makes me apprehensive but it's selling for an incredibly low price. I just went to check it out and it's been converted to a cruiser with unbelievably large cabin space and storage and feels like it would be great as liveaboard and long passages. But my concern is safety and by design will this be unsafe as a world cruiser? Can I maintain control through sail adjustment despite the reputation for raceboats being squirrly downwind? Is the fin keel truly a bad idea when considering offshore cruising and potential groundings? Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.
surfingnexpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 08:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Islander 41 IOR

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, surfingnexpa.

Is this her? ➥ 1974 Islander 41 Sloop sailboat for sale in California
If so, she looks a little rough; but could be an excellent (minor) project boat, for the price.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 09:25   #3

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Nothing wrong with an early IOR boat.. as they were designed for open ocean racing and will put up with anything you throw at it while cruising.
the only issue you might have is the boat is designed to go fast, damn fast, and you need to know how to handle the boat and the speed..
I own an early IOR design and I cant see putting a person with little or no exeprence in control.. If its your first boat, Id look for something else.. if you come from a racing background, your love the boat.
sailing DDW is not an issue, as a slight run off the rum line will streighten out the squirleys and build better speed..
safety, thats an owners responsibilty.. dont push it past the point where you can control it.. if its out of control, its your fault, not the boats..
comfort, the faster it sails, the smoother it gets.. The best part...It will make a fast passage, keeping you off the open water less, and less is good..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 15:07   #4

Thanks for the reply. My experience is limited to a 28' Columbia which I sailed extensively around southern California for about 5 years before bringing it up to Oregon where I sailed it a few times in the deltas. Obviously I have no racing background with a boat like that and I certainly learned many lessons the hard way cruising it around the channel islands. I was hoping to sail the Islander locally here in southern California for about a year to get a feel for it before taking it on a long passage to the South Pacific. So that's my minimal sailing history. Anymore feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Adam
Old 22-04-2011, 15:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, surfingnexpa.

Is this her? ➥ 1974 Islander 41 Sloop sailboat for sale in California
If so, she looks a little rough; but could be an excellent (minor) project boat, for the price.
That is her. I was definitely expecting somewhat of a project for any boat I get. Thanks

Adam
Old 22-04-2011, 15:20   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Adam,

While I have not spent time on board an I-41, Ann and I spent 17 years c ruising in our Palmer Johnson Standfast 36 which was an IOR one-tonner built in 1974.

For our vessel, and for all the other IOR boats of that era, the only time that they get difficult to handle is driving hard off the wind with a kite up. We did around 85,000 miles in ours and never had a bad situation that was attributable to her IOR origins.
Don't let the armchair experts scare you off with this myth.

Cheers,
Old 22-04-2011, 16:42   #7

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Just an FYI there is one for sale in Anacortes WA also
Project Boat: 1974 Islander 41 Sloop Sail Boat

Good Luck
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 19:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
Just an FYI there is one for sale in Anacortes WA also
Project Boat: 1974 Islander 41 Sloop Sail Boat

Good Luck
Thanks Ironhorse. I'm going to send him an email and see if he can give me some information on this boat.