Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2020, 15:15   #1

Boat: Cheer Men PT41
Jabsco Twist and Lock Manual Toilet

A friend of mine owns a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3 and has a head issue.
The toilet is a Jabsco 29090.
He changed the pump assembly last year and now has some backflow into the toilet bowl.
The waste hose exits the toilet and rises 18" to the Y valve and from the Y valve it rises another 3" to then outfall into the top of the holding tank.
He installed a new joker valve last week and disconnected the vent hose to ensure that there was no pressure build up, but there is still a small flow back into the bowl.
The boat is 15 years old and he never had a backflow issue until he changed the pump assembly.
The new pump assembly is a later design but was sourced according to the Jabsco website and part number.
Any ideas would be welcomed.
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 05:47   #2

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Jabsco Twist and Lock Manual Toilet

handle turned & "locked"?
Old 28-07-2020, 05:49   #3

Boat: Cheer Men PT41

Yes - handle turned and locked.
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 06:02   #4

strange! We have the same toilet & arrangement (3' & all) & no backflow at all. Somehow your piston-rod is too short or for some other reaason is not pressing down enough on the exit valve. Maybe calcareous deposits on the seat of the valve?
(I must say, after 1 rtw with a bucket & 2rtws with a Lavac my expectations for the Jabsco were very low (came with the "new" boat), but it performed flawlessly for 1,5 years of dayly 2-person use)
Old 28-07-2020, 07:04   #5

Way back when I was a "service provider" I maintained a load of these units.
To be honest I find the Jabsco toilet an awsome value for money item, one of the best I have seen in the marine industry. Value for money item I mean.

Anyhow, having dealt with a lot of these units I found that when installintg the pump assembly it is important to NOT over tighten the four screws that hold it to the base.

I find the best way to install the assembly is to very lightly tighten the screws, and open up the valves , alternately push water through the unit and tighten the screws just enough to stop any leakage.

What happens, if you look at enough of them, is that when the screws are over tightened the assembly squeezes the the rubber check valve out of shape.

This is experience gained over years of servicing these units. I hope it helps.

I do not care to argue or deal with the trolls.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 07:07   #6

"I do not care to argue or deal with the trolls."
???
Old 28-07-2020, 09:45   #7

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
Way back when I was a "service provider" I maintained a load of these units.
To be honest I find the Jabsco toilet an awsome value for money item, one of the best I have seen in the marine industry. Value for money item I mean.
Anyhow, having dealt with a lot of these units I found that when installintg the pump assembly it is important to NOT over tighten the four screws that hold it to the base.
I find the best way to install the assembly is to very lightly tighten the screws, and open up the valves , alternately push water through the unit and tighten the screws just enough to stop any leakage.
What happens, if you look at enough of them, is that when the screws are over tightened the assembly squeezes the the rubber check valve out of shape.
This is experience gained over years of servicing these units. I hope it helps.
This is a great installation strategy that I will use next time, thanks!

I've had this same situation with my Jabsco and I'm pretty sure it's not the joker valve in the outlet, but the check valve at the pump base, which gets calcium deposits and such over time that causes leakage.

A rebuild kit will include a new check valve. Just be sure to install it in the correct orientation, clean the edges, and follow Allied's protocol for tightening it down (I will next time!)

I always keep a spare pump assembly that includes everything all nicely put together for you and find it easier to swap it out then rebuild as I always struggle to stop the leaks afterward. It's not expensive and one of the reasons I'm a big fan of this toilet, which, as liveaboard cruisers, we use several times a day, 365 days a year, so it holds up to a rigorous workout pretty trouble-free. When the pump piston starts to squeak I lube it with silicon lube.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 09:48   #8

IIRC that's the $100 toilet that's now probably $150. Just buy a new one.
Did that on two boats I bought, didn't even worry if the toilet worked. Bought fresh ones without other's pee on them!
I did buy the piston valve assy for one, it never worked right... and was too expensive anyway.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 10:28   #9

Yes, replace the flappy valve at the bottom of the pump. Thus is held down by the piston but gradually gets a dent in it top by the rod and ceases to seal.
We reduce this by always leaving the handle slightly up when away from the boat - with seacocks closed of course.
bobgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 11:15   #10

Boat: 2002 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37

I have had all sorts of problems with backflow, and was replacing the joker valve regularly, which always helped for about a week. About 6 months ago I installed a Jabsco in-line check valve (model 29295-1010, I believe) and it's been great. Ask me again in about 2 years how well it has held up.
tilostahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 04:03   #11

I have heard of the same troubles......and it turned out to be the small rubber valve which sits in the top of the Y plastic pipe ....might be worth a looksee at if its 15 years old ...
Gavino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 04:15   #12

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I will second the do not over tighten the screws for the joker valve..... snug is what I do. No leaks
And no backflow.

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 04:23   #13

My experience a bit dated but still probably relevant. I had Jabsco on my first boat and the pump started leaking. Looked into their repair kit and the price was something around $50-60. New toilet was on sale for $79. No brainer. This was like 12-13 years ago.

BTW, of the 4 bolt holes in new toilet (same model) only 2 matched, had to drill new holes in the base. Other than that the replacement was easy peasy as far as toilet replacements go. Significantly less work and certainly less messy then going the kit route. Of the total 5 boats which I owned - 2 Jabscos, 1 Wilcox and 2 Raritans. I found Jabscos to be no less capable then the other "more respected" brands.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 05:28   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

Has he checked the vent to be sure it is clear?

Has he pulled the discharge hose out and checked to see if after 15 years it is almost completely blocked up with scale?

Is the tank acturally full?

other than a real bad joker valve those are the cause
Old 29-07-2020, 05:42   #15

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I have a crack in my Jabsco as described here: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ed-236957.html

Subsequent to that post, apparently the vent got plugged (spider season, you know) at the same time the tank full alert stopped working. Short story, the backflow entered the toilet despite the twist and lock being twisted and locked. So chalk up another item on this Jabsco that doesn't work.

My old Jabsco was great. The new one has had problems from day one.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco, oil