Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 05:21   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Jacklines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
Let me start by saying I never have and I'm sure I never could(presently), pull myself back on my boat using a jackline . . . probably, even if I had help.

This thread makes me think a little differently about sailing . . . especially SOLO sailing. I know I'd have one heck of a time getting back on my sailboat . . . . my gawd, it would even be a chore if I were swimming at anchor.

Maybe a new forum called something like "Couch-Potato Sailors", could be started and be about all the issues that revolve around those of us(probably a high percentage), that are absolutely and near totally unfit sailors, whence we're no longer comfortably sitting at the helm or the dinner table.

Hauling up an anchor every few days, or setting a mainsail(even once a day), isn't much exercise, and I don't know any sailors that can fit a Nautilus(sp), machine on board.

As a group, we especially need to begin a sailboat-associated regimen to, at the very least, improve our chances of survival if the worse happens and the need to use all those "other" muscles come into play.

A regimen that employs the use of various parts of the sailboat to keep us better fit and more capable of surviving all the accidents that could occur.

I wonder what some of these exercises could be?
I've started a program and being fit enough to handle anything on the boat is one of the most powerful and motivating goal for me. While I am below average for body mass for an American male my age, that is still overweight according to BMI. In the last month, I have been exercising (at a boring old gym) and eating better and have managed to drop about 7lbs. Only 30 more to go!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:23   #62

Boat: O'Day 28

It's the first exercise that's the toughest: turniing off the electronics.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:50   #63

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
The reason nobody is answering the OP is almost nobody falls in offshore while tethered to a jackline and lives to tell about it!
Missed this nuggett of knowledge! please site your source as they may also state numbers on sailors who fell overboard and watched their boat sail off and never lived to tell about it.
even better yet maybe this source will show that you have a better chance of making it with a harness on
or maybe they will show me some actual numbers that you based your statement on and I can finally take all this saftey sh!t and put it in the dumpster at the end of my dock.
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I've started a program and being fit enough to handle anything on the boat is one of the most powerful and motivating goal for me. While I am below average for body mass for an American male my age, that is still overweight according to BMI. In the last month, I have been exercising (at a boring old gym) and eating better and have managed to drop about 7lbs. Only 30 more to go!

Me too, I had to get a health screening for insurance a month or so ago, according to BMI I an obese.....I admit I could lose a few lbs....

Has nothing to do with Jacklines but I too started working out when I realized after a swim I could not get back aboard the boat with out assistance....I am much better off now.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:07   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

... so jacklines and exercise!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:04   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
... so jacklines and exercise!
I thought those two thing would greatly increase my odds of survival offshore...after reading the posts in the thread I am.....

not too sure, considering getting a petition together to get companies to take these death sentence products, jackline, harnesses and tethers off the shelf so we can see a sharp increase in the survivablity rate offshore.

What I need to start my petition on these dangerous products, jackline, tether and harnesses, products are few people in this thread who know this to be certain to site their sources so my petition seems creditable to a logical person reading it. Because my logic tells me I have a fighting chance of not even falling in should I trip or slip, I have an even better chance of getting back on the boat if I am attached to it rather than it sailing off.
However, after reading this this thread I am starting to believe my logical thinking is gonna get me killed.....I dont think I'll where my seat home today as my car might catch fire and my seat belt may get jammed...Oh wait, there are actually sources that say wearing a seat belt is safer...so I will wear it.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:23   #67

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Re:well . . .

Since I know I can't(probably), get back on board, I'm going to buy some of those "2 for $99" small, floating VHF radios from West Marine and always make sure I have a radio, just in case.

At least this way, even though I might not be able to get back to my boat, or get on board, I might be able to get help.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:00   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: well . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
Since I know I can't(probably), get back on board, I'm going to buy some of those "2 for $99" small, floating VHF radios from West Marine and always make sure I have a radio, just in case.

At least this way, even though I might not be able to get back to my boat, or get on board, I might be able to get help.
... and we can pry that radio from your cold dead (and blue) hands.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:34   #69
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

PROPER jacklines are set up so the user does NOT go overboard. getting back on board AINT gonna happen once overboard.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:56   #70

Boat: PETERSON 44

[QUOTE=Cruiser2B;1121523]I thought those two thing would greatly increase my odds of survival offshore...after reading the posts in the thread I am.....

What I need to start my petition on these dangerous products, jackline, tether and harnesses, products are few people in this thread who know this to be certain to site their sources so my petition seems creditable to a logical person reading it.

Okay let me try I will tether myself with just enough to dangle into the water and then fall over mid ship. This way we will have a real example.
Lets say the dinghy lashings have worked loose. I need more then the 3 foot tether will reach so I switch to the long 6' leed.I stumble at the house side edge and over I go. If you dont hear back from me you can guess what happened............here goes
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:06   #71

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
PROPER jacklines are set up so the user does NOT go overboard. getting back on board AINT gonna happen once overboard.
I think again it has to do with your situation. (like what's Bluewater in that thread?) If I waaay offshore (say 200 miles), I'd probably be more likely to put up with being tied down to the boat like a dog on a leash as I go forward. Actually I'd have to have several points to tie and untie to as I go either that or lean over since my boat is so narrow.

In the bay though I wear my PFD more often than most (and I'm not tethered) so if I do go in it's up to me to swim in to shore or make for one of the Islands on the bridge as I'm being taken out to sea.

Tomorrow though when we race I'll have my whistle and hope my competiton will come fish me out if something happens. I think the water temp is around 47 and outdoor temp will be about the same...........

Also, the wind is predicted to be only around 8 -10 knots so there are many variables. I just got to thinking about this last time I was up forward screwing around with my jury rigged wing and wing setup. (It was one of those look ma no hands) but my arms were working through the shrouds so it was all good
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:22   #72

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
And don't forget to stray harnessed at anchor...........

Sometimes you just gotta depend on yourself to be able to stay onboard the boat.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:32   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For me, it's PFD if I go forward in the bay or in less than optimal conditions. I wouldn't normally rig jacklines unless going offshore.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:35   #74
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
It would seem to me we can break this problem down into 3 parts
1. Staying on the boat or not falling in the water
2. Staying connected to the boat should you go in the water.
3. Getting back onboard should you fail #1 and succeed with #2
Every boat is different and every owner is different so the methods may be different. But each key step should be carefully considered. I agree staying on the boat and not going over the side is your first defense. Staying attached is you second and getting back onboard the final. Anyone that thinks they can catch and hold onto a line with knots in it is fooling themselves and anyone who thinks they can climb back onboard without a proper ladder is equally kidding themselves. I personally know of at least 3 cases where a person fell in at the dock and drowned because they could not get out of the water on their own. At least one was fit and in good shape. We should all look at this as a system and not one single solution. Also adding a MOB alarm and wearing a PLB while on deck can add to your chances of surviving. No single solution but a good discussion and something we all should think about.
The above is a very good summary, but I'd like to add one more item, or rather exercise: Many folks here on the forum like to theorize as to how to get back on board, but few seem to actually have a working plan or have actually tried to do so and experienced just how difficult it is.

I've had a few occasions lately to dive under our boat just to make an inspection when I wasn't able to first deploy the swim ladder because of logistics. I consider myself a pretty good swimmer and in very good physical condition, and each time I was wearing a wet suit and fins... damn... I couldn't get back on board without additional help. Without being able to put my feet into something like a ladder, there's just no way. The one time I was able to crawl up onto another boats swim platform that was only 10 inches above the water line, the second time, it took two of us to drag me up onto the dock. Add some wet clothes, cold water temps and shoes or boots to the mix... there's no way anyone's getting back on board.

I'm in full agreement with Zeehag, "AINT gonna happen."

I think the video presented early in the thread is about the only self rescue method that can possibly work, as the fellow demonstrated by actually doing it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:49   #75
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Me too, I had to get a health screening for insurance a month or so ago, according to BMI I an obese.....I admit I could lose a few lbs....
You are looking at it all wrong! Look at at it as a plus for surviving by being more bouyant.

Tags
Jacklines