Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2020, 09:00   #16

Re: Jacksonville to Wilmington in January

As a Delivery Captain, I’ve done this trip several times in winter. Btw, I used to live in Wilmington. Biggest issue is it’s cold. I don’t recommend ICW because you cannot run 24 hrs. This trip is not a big deal unless weather deteriorates.
Capt Steve Murray 904 557 6932
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 09:02   #17

Boat: '97 Island Packet 350

Well...I've lived in Wilmington for most of my adult life & you could get lucky. January often brings unseasonably warm temps such as the low to mid 70s.
Slow by Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 09:20   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmurray62 View Post
As a Delivery Captain, I’ve done this trip several times in winter. Btw, I used to live in Wilmington. Biggest issue is it’s cold. I don’t recommend ICW because you cannot run 24 hrs. This trip is not a big deal unless weather deteriorates.
Capt Steve Murray 904 557 6932
Agree. Most likely will be cold and inside is not the fastest option. The ICW, especially in this section, would add a significant delay, even more so in winter with very short days and running the ICW at night is not for the faint of heart.

However if a front passes through with high winds offshore you have the choice of going nowhere or making some progress north in the ditch.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 11:21   #19

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

If your draft is greater than 5 ft stay out of Ga, Very little cleance at low tide once North of Charleston. Try to make a jump from Charleston inlet to either Georgetown or New River inlet

jewt S/V Bifrost-8
Morgan -44CP New Bern, NC
Old 14-12-2020, 11:24   #20

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

As you seem to be sailing newbies, needing a captain for the trip, don't even think of going outside unless you think you can handle the boat alone in possibly adverse conditions: Things happen at sea, including to Captains without a competent crew, and especially in the Gulf Stream in winter! The price of a boost from the Stream is the poss. of significant northerly winds, which can turn it into an untenable maelstrom.
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 11:33   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyWoodsPete View Post
As you seem to be sailing newbies, needing a captain for the trip, don't even think of going outside unless you think you can handle the boat alone in possibly adverse conditions: Things happen at sea, including to Captains without a competent crew, and especially in the Gulf Stream in winter! The price of a boost from the Stream is the poss. of significant northerly winds, which can turn it into an untenable maelstrom.
Caution about north winds in the Gulfstream is very sound advise. However from Jacksonville to Wilmington NC, even on a direct route, you will be many miles inside the Gulfstream and more likely to catch an eddy or even a counter current than a northerly current.

That doesn't mean it can't get bumpy in that stretch.
Old 14-12-2020, 11:38   #22

Boat: 41 Morgan/Catalina Classic

I have experience but my wife has not. The Captain plans to go outside if at all possible. As the timing has changed a number of times,(damn weather), we have had to change plans.
The reason I mentioned it is the Captain said going outside was a breeze if the weather cooperated. As I have heard from the folks here he was correct and the others were mistaken. THANKS!!!
Lateral Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 11:50   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateral Hazard View Post
I have experience but my wife has not. The Captain plans to go outside if at all possible. As the timing has changed a number of times,(damn weather), we have had to change plans.
The reason I mentioned it is the Captain said going outside was a breeze if the weather cooperated. As I have heard from the folks here he was correct and the others were mistaken. THANKS!!!
The trip outside can be a breeze. We motored 45 miles from Green Cove to the end of the channel at Jacksonville. Turned left, set the autopilot and did almost nothing but occasionally trim the sails for two days. We did hit a morning calm the last day so cranked the engine to top off the batteries and motor sailed for an hour or so. One of the best sails in years.
Old 14-12-2020, 16:33   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateral Hazard View Post
I have done a few deliveries such as yours. It is critical that wife not feel like she is not up to the trip. The weather pattern fo the next 2 weeks looks poor. There may be windows in the 17th and 23rd. Of course the longer you wait, the colder (more uncomfortable) it will be.

IMHO, consider putting the boat up until January or hiring a crew. While I am a delivery guy, I am not looking for the job. Just trying to make sure you boat ownership starts off right.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 17:28   #25

Boat: Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I have done a few deliveries such as yours. It is critical that wife not feel like she is not up to the trip. The weather pattern fo the next 2 weeks looks poor. There may be windows in the 17th and 23rd. Of course the longer you wait, the colder (more uncomfortable) it will be.

IMHO, consider putting the boat up until January or hiring a crew. While I am a delivery guy, I am not looking for the job. Just trying to make sure you boat ownership starts off right.

It only takes a few hours of bad conditions to change your and your wife’s perspective on sailing for a lifetime. Take your time and reduce the opportunities for the s*it to hit the fan.

Dock it for a month or two. There is time enough to work on being an old salt.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 18:20   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

This time of the year, we start to get the cold fronts roll thru'....NE winds typically, sometime blow thru' in a day, sometimes hangs around for several days. Can blow pretty fierce on occasion. Prior to a front, wind will swing to SW, seas along the coast will be flat as a lake....timing would be everything.

My money would be to watch the weather and try to make Charleston. Then you got two Capes to be concerned about, not a place to be in a nor-easter.

Failing that, I'd start chugging up the ICW....if you catch a break, you can try to scoot offshore, Fernandina, Brunswick, etc. The ICW is a pain in the arse, no two ways about it...each day would have to carefully planned regarding tides, where you can stop, get fuel, etc, etc...I believe the draft for your boat is about 5', so you should be ok, emphasis on "should".

I did a delivery many years ago on the ICW...J'ville to Norfolk...it took a month...once you are in the ditch, trying to go offshore for a day or two has it's difficulties, and time wise, might be better to just stay in the ditch.

If you're sailing/motoring to set dates and a schedule, I think it will be the ICW for you.
Nothing can screw up a voyage more than leaving in a set date.

If you don't watch the tides, odds are you will run aground somewhere...that can add a day to your trip....make haste....slowly.

Delivery skippers are typically hard core sailors and may chose to run offshore regardless, so best to have this discussion with them. Many of them do this all the time and have got it down pat.

Sailing against a Nor'-easter is not the end of the world.....but it will be cold, very lumpy and very wet....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 11:11   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

Sailing against a Nor'-easter is not the end of the world.....but it will be cold, very lumpy and very wet....

Add to that “and you are more likely to break something”.

The last thing I want to do at the end of a delivery is say, “Here’s your boat. Most of the stuff that broke off is in the vee berth. The rest fell into the water.”

If I was going to bid this job, this time of year, it would likely be a ditch run. And that is EXACTLY why I am not interested!!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 11:37   #28

I have a captain and he said the same thing. With a ditch run he gets short on time and you guys are incredibly busy. That is a good thing but he assured me he has not interest in arriving at marina with a boat that is not in the same condition as he received it.
Old 15-12-2020, 12:06   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

All of the above is true.....in short...a January trip going north offshore is unusual. All the stars would have to align to pull that off.

Like opined earlier, it can be done, but if you are new to this game, you will likely not enjoy it. Remember that going offshore, is going night and day, nonstop....you will have to share watches with your hired captain, this means you will likely be at the wheel, at night, in wind, waves, rain, etc.....typical Nor-easter stuff. You may also get seasick, which will compound everything....

I don't think you need a hired captain going north on the ICW as you can easily do this by yourself. By all means, hire a captain for the first week or so, show you the ropes, etc. then manage on your own. Another option, hire a crew, always some of those around. It is possible to run the ICW at night, but it comes with a whole host of difficulties and not advised for you. Most of the time, the ICW, while shoal in parts, should not be a problem for a 5' draft. Problems usually arise when you drift out of the channel, swing wide to avoid a barge and tug, etc....

My other advice, join a BoatUS club, well worth the yearly fee. You run aground, have engine problems, etc, call them on the radio, they will come bail you out. Without that membership, it could cost an arm and a leg. They have locations up and down the ICW.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 14:24   #30

OH MY GOD!!, Our very short trip was a NIGHTMARE! Just bought a boat and my wife may never sail again. A nightmare. All hands on deck, I came racing up and my wife is at the helm with our Captain yelling at her after she has had no sleep for 21 hours is sick as hell,has no experience and the waves are 4 feet over the bow. Trip cut short because Captain had to get to another delivery. The boat was a six hour drive away now it is only five.

Tags
jacksonville