Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2020, 12:16   #1

Jenneau SO32 vs Baveria 30

Dear all,

I am new to this form and would like to ask some advice. I've just spent a fairly large amount of time reading long threads which invariably end up with some people defending production boats and some others suggesting they are not much good. I'd like to avoid starting that debate if possible.

My question is a bit more specific, I intend to purchase a new (used) boat about 10m long and after some local searching have found a 2005 Baveria 30 with a fin keel and a 2003 Jenneau SO32 with a lifting keel both of which meet my requirements and price bracket, both have some good advantages and I'm trying to decide between the two. Does anyone have any first hand experience or comments they could share?

In some ways the real question is lifting vs fin keel.

I'm familiar with the text book pro and cons but I have sailed a larger Baveria in the past and it's a known quantity to some extent. I was a little put out by appearance of the two stubby bilge heels between the slot on the bottom of the Jenneau and I have no personal experience of similar boats.. It made me think it looked a bit 'tubby'.

I am based in the Solent and the shallower draft would open up some options, but is not essential. I plan some longer trips in the future (in the same boat or a different one, who knows).

I also have no idea how the Jenneau is rated for its righting moment etc. Its probably irrelevant in real life but as I have no experience I am of course, full of prejudice and worrying about its relative safety and performance.

Many thanks for reading,
Kevin
Kevin1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 19:32   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Jenneau SO32 vs Baveria 30

Welcome. I would select the Bavaria... to avoid retractable lifting keeel. This will always be a source of problem in my opinion of course.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:33   #3

Re: Jenneau SO32 vs Baveria 30

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It seems that in the wake of Covid, boats of all shapes and sizes are selling within days... So neither of the above for me, but I know not to take so long to make a decision in the future.
Kevin1b is offline   Reply With Quote