Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2019, 06:25   #16

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Re: Too hard to roll in a furling jib...advice/ hacks please

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
Ok ...god dont die laughing.. But I dont get it. I dont use the halyard at all ..since I the jib is roller furling...do I??
Yes, you have a Halyard that attaches to the top bearing, which attaches to the head of the sail and then raises the sail. What members are saying is that if the Halyard is not tight enough it could wrap around the foil see this link for photo's

https://www.sailboat-cruising.com/roller-reefing.html

Some installations employ a restrainer to help prevent wrap. That may not be necessary on your set up. 1st step would be to make sure your halyard is tight and then have someone observe what's happening up top as you try to furl.

Watch this video.

https://youtu.be/NcaoM9ELgwU

Another thing to look at would be the shackles that you're using to attach the halyard to the top bearing and the shackle to the head. They might be too long preventing a full hoist. Using a smaller D shackle could help? Then, if you need a longer shackle at the Tack, you can install that.
Old 27-08-2019, 06:34   #17
RGN

Location: stuck in Florida for vaccinations, bot stuck in the Chesapeake
Boat: Vanguard 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
What type of blocks and how are they positioned for the furling line?

This is very important, when I first got my boat the furling line was rigged with some very small blocks and too many angles, it required a lot of force to furl in any kind of wind. Installing a few larger blocks and a few bullet rings plus straightening the routing cut the force need to less than 1/3 of before!

Flexible line on the furler helps, wash the salt out or replace the line.

Rinse the bearing on the furler drum with fresh water.

Halyard wrap is a BIG deal too.

I usually just use the winch as a snubbing winch now.
RGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 06:51   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

As in your previous thread. Stop going head to wind to furl!! Go Broad or dead Down and then furl, this takes the load off of the sail.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 07:40   #19

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Wow, thanks...I get it now! Duhhhh
We have done some investigation, the halyard appears to be twisted around the stay. We are currently on a cruise..what do we do to unwrap it?
Downwind to furl...got it!!
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 07:55   #20

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

Quote:
We have done some investigation, the halyard appears to be twisted around the stay. We are currently on a cruise..what do we do to unwrap it?
HMMM..

It could be twisted around the stay ( or the foil) because it was installed that way? if that's the case, you'd have to unfurl the genoa lower it and unwrap it, you might have to pull it down at the luff. Make sure you have a Stopper knot in the other end of the halyard!! So you don't lose it up the mast!! The Halyard should come straight down from the front the mast behind the foil when you reattach it to the top swivel to re-hoist.

If that's not the case, then

I guess, the 1st step would be to unfurl the genoa and then crank up the halyard to make sure it's up to the top. with the sail unfurled, take a look up top to see how snug the halyard is up to the masthead sheave. If it's not snug and there's a lot of halyard exposed, and you can't raise it anymore, you might need a longer attachment at the tack. ( your sail may be shorter than the foil)

PS. Unfurl it first, and then check for wrap before hauling down the sail. You may use binoculars to make sure the halyard is coming straight off the sheave to the swivel without being wrapped around the foil once it's unfurled.
Old 27-08-2019, 08:45   #21

Boat: Hylas 49

You might get lucky and be able to drop the sail a few feet while pointed into the wind and have the halyard unwrap.
Be sure to lube the top swivel if you drop the sail.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 08:51   #22

Boat: Comar Comet 30'

Quote:
I am a strong enough female but to roll in my furling jib in winds about 10kn is a bitch!! I currently go head to wind then start pulling in, the helmsperson tailing the line. In 20 kn winds, even with the line around the winch...cant do it. What am I doing wrong? I have a 38 ft boat. 135 percent jib.
Id stow away the genoa and make sure that the furling is mechanically working the way it should with out the sail. See if its binding up then you will know if its a mechanical issue ie. bearing ect. or sail issue and or how your rigging her.
Boston Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 09:13   #23

Boat: Seaward 25

Be warned - rehoisting the Genoa after you sort out the furling issues can be a chore. You might want to wait until you are somewhere with an extra person to help.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 09:16   #24

Boat: C&C
Re: Jib very hard to roll in, no upper body strength!

That is a big mast head genoa! Expect it to be hard. You'll definitely be luffing up and cranking in and probably laying way over on your side if you've waited till 20 knots before rollin her in. Might want to watch the wind gauge and start reducing sail area much sooner!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 09:20   #25

Boat: Sea Ray 270

If your halyard is wrapping around the furler then I would bet the sail is not hoisted far enough up the foil to achieve the correct angle between the halyard and the foil. Also your halyard might not be tight. That would also make the sail harder to furl even if it was not wrapping. For instance, I have a Furlex and the angle between the halyard and the foil needs to be at least 10 deg if I remember correctly and the halyard must be tight. You also need to do periodic maintenance to the bearings both at the top and on the drum. Many people ignore that. Squirt some WD40 in the bearings to clean them then use the appropriate grease.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 09:38   #26

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
DO NOT try to force it to furl with the halyard wrapped. Bad things will happen. Worst being your forestay breaks, rig goes in the water, mast holes the boat, boat sinks, and you die. Not being dramatic, that IS a real possibility. You also shouldn't continue to sail with halyard wrapped, because it is continuously putting a torque load on the stay, and the fasteners are not designed for torque loads.

I have a 41 year old boat with a 9 year old rig. Guess why the previous owner had to replace the rig? He and his son weren't hurt, but it soured them on sailing.

If you're unable to correct the halyard wrap, you won't be able to lower the sail, either. You'll need to remove the sheets and manully wrap the sail around the foil until it is completely furled and secure it. Then get to a port and have a rigger go up the mast to cure the wrap.

A very likely cause for this, as mentioned above, is that your sail is too short in the luff. With the luff tight, in a normal installation, the top bearing should be within 4-6 inches of the top of the foil. If it isn't, and the luff is tight (but not TOO tight, either!), then your sail is short and you need to install e pendant.

Read the manual for your furler. If you don't have it, you can find it online.
Here's a link to the very popular Harken Furler manual
See the section on halyard wrap, starting on page 26. Even if your furler isn't Harken, this manual covers it very well.

BTW, it's worth mentioning that you shouldn't ever have to use a winch to furl your foresail. If it requires that much force, something is wrong.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 09:40   #27

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
As in your previous thread. Stop going head to wind to furl!! Go Broad or dead Down and then furl, this takes the load off of the sail.
People rarely believe this advice, but it's spot on. Simply turn dead downwind and you'll be able to easily furl even the largest headsail. Once you try it, you'll never head up to furl again!
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 09:45   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackheape View Post
(snip) Many people ignore that. Squirt some WD40 in the bearings to clean them then use the appropriate grease.
Not all furlers are the same, and many should NOT be greased. Ever.
Old 27-08-2019, 09:47   #29

This is a duplicate thread. OP's problem caused by halyard wrap.
Old 27-08-2019, 10:15   #30

Boat: Leopard 45

I find it easier heading into the wind. Make sure you are letting ample sheet out on the head sail (one ounce of tension on the head sheet equals a pound on the fuller line).
I let out enough sheet so that it is almost flying free. A lot easier if there is no tension on the head sail. The other method mentioned on a run where the head sail is backed by the main is also good. Walk up forward to the drum and see if you can furl from the bow. Might have something jammed in the lines going back. For most of these procedures you will either need an extra hand at the controls or a good auto pilot.
Jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib