Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2023, 07:33   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Keel rebedding or engineered fix for this catalina smile on Catalina 36?

IMHO I would say from the pictures that the curve from hull to stub is badly faired filler, not cracks. Take a knife point and see if you can get it into one.

As far as the 'smile' goes, I've never heard of a Catalina sinking from one, but that one does seem longer than most I've seen. From what I understand, nearly every Catalina (at least the older ones) have a smile to one degree or another. The keels are cast lead, but not machined smooth and the stub formed in a is a fiberglass mold. They have never been a perfect fit.

I've never done it, nor seen it done, but I've read about people who rebeded their keel. IIRC The keel needs to be braced so it will stand upright, then have the lift raise the boat a few inches (at least) so you can get to the bottom of the stub and the top of the keel lead. Clean everything off and get each surface as smooth as possible. Put a lot of thickened epoxy on top of the keel along with wax paper or some other thin and flexible release method, then lower the boat back firmly onto the keel. Clean excess. After the epoxy has fully set, raise the boat, remove the release (wax paper) and apply 4200. (The keel -may- need to be removed one day, so I wouldn't go 5200.) Again, clean excess and reprime, repaint.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, catalina, catalina 36, engine, engineer, keel