Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2013, 08:21   #61

Boat: Tayana 37
Wink Re: Kelly Peterson 44 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Just to note. It may be that the OP does not want to finance a boat for personal reasons. I have financed one boat and found it not a bad way to go. It's always nice not having an extra payment in your life but sometimes it can buy you what you need. If you could buy a KP in moderately good condition that just needed upgrades and had good sails and engine, it might be the way to go. Perhaps living on it while working on it could be a dream come true.
Actually, that's exactly what I was planning on if I but her. I'm already a full time live aboard, so making one to go to the boat is not an issue.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 08:29   #62

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Kelly Peterson 44 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
Actually, that's exactly what I was planning on if I but her. I'm already a full time live aboard, so making one to go to the boat is not an issue.
...Then I am assuming you'll sell your current boat, if buying the KP.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 08:30   #63

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Kevin, and anyone else looking at KP44s or similar center cockpit boats. The KP44 is a well layed out boat EXCEPT FOR the emergency tiller. The steering cables are long and difficult to replace at sea. The emergency tiller has to be installed at the rudderhead that is hidden under the master cabin bunk. You have to toss all of the bedding,mattreses,plywood etc out of the way and put the tiller on. You are then in the aft cabin with no visibility,and unless you have mounted a compass just for this purpose, you have no idea what course you are on. I suspect that even the toughest old salt would be reaching for the barf bucket in short order. I never came up with an idea that didnt involve a lot of complications to get your steering up to deck level, so that you could see where you were going. I think this is a common problem on center cockpit boats.____Another 2 cents worth._____Grant.
Good reason to have a below deck AP attached directly to the quadrant and/or windvane.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 08:45   #64
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Another voice in the choir: When I hear "rebedding" I worry. Rebedding stanchions or deck hardware to any extent means there has been water pentetration, and probably at the chainplates into the bulkheads or hull as well. Often extensively behind trim. And especially if the owner hasn't been aboard in a year, that means a year of rotting.

Check and recheck, because if you get into serious deck issues, that can be an incredibly expensive job, more than the cost of a similar boat with no issues. Or a real mess to DIY.

And the fresh bottom paint has to aise a flag, you don't know if that was good maintenance, or hiding a blister job. Needs to be inspected, and confirmed in writing by the seller.

I hope you found a bargain, but they are rare.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 08:54   #65

My HR has the rudder shaft coming up middle of the aft cabin bunk right where you head is, and terminating above deck. Although inconvenient, it allows for some positive options, such as emergency tiller of which I made mine permanent and for the convenience of a wind vane. My wheel steering is hydraulic which has a lot of plus's over cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	July 31 2013 001.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	65493   Click image for larger version

Name:	New tiller head.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	65494  

Name:	New tiller head 001.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	65495  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 14-08-2013, 09:17   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Another voice in the choir: When I hear "rebedding" I worry. Rebedding stanchions or deck hardware to any extent means there has been water pentetration, and probably at the chainplates into the bulkheads or hull as well. Often extensively behind trim. And especially if the owner hasn't been aboard in a year, that means a year of rotting.

Check and recheck, because if you get into serious deck issues, that can be an incredibly expensive job, more than the cost of a similar boat with no issues. Or a real mess to DIY.

And the fresh bottom paint has to aise a flag, you don't know if that was good maintenance, or hiding a blister job. Needs to be inspected, and confirmed in writing by the seller.

I hope you found a bargain, but they are rare.
Yep, when I see a boat listed saying "fresh bottom job" I get pretty nervous about it. I once asked a broker to have the seller sign a document I made up stating there have been no blisters on the hull during his ownership "except as noted below"... that went over like a lead balloon.
and on the rebedding comment... I made the same note earlier.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 15:41   #67

Boat: PETERSON 44
Saw the pics. The cap rail is pretty rough. The design is a bit different at the hull deck joint then most boats. The deck turns up and is the inner part of bulwarks. The hull is the outer section. Between is ply that has not been glassed over as it meets the cap.. Bang head moticon. Add to the list you might need to pull the caps and glass this idiot build design. The genny sheet track bolts down through the cap through the filler into the deck. These bolts are 7" 5/16 I think hard to source and cost. Pain in the ass to undo. The joint itself should be fine as its glassed together. The chainplates being internal had no compression seal. Leaking destroys the cheap bolts. Even if the plates look good bag them they will be crap where you can't see. Bolts will be toast. Think the price is very enticing but you need to see the boat and be very open to walking away. I love mine but some of the build quality is just dumb. See if there is a maintenance record. Looks like there has been some new rigging so some of these knowns may have been addressed. Also though old it may be that bad crap gas been replaced. Seeing the panel I can tell you forget the electric it needs replacing.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 15:51   #68

And I hated the cockpit grate. When I bought mine the pedestal was flopping around. The cockpit sole was saturated rot. So I rebuilt it cambered the sole and tweaked it. Put reinforcing stainless backers in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2062562629.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	65508  
Old 14-08-2013, 19:11   #69

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

OK, so your intent on re-furbing this boat, if it is all you think it is. Go for it. As for your fiance', make sure she knows what is in store for her. My first wife didn't fare well with boat projects ,never chipped a nail, she just wanted to know when they were finished. Oh well.
My second wife ( I never expected to do it again) started dating me when I was in the process of completely stripping the bottom of my boat to gelcoat to barrier coat and repaint it. She worked side by side with me stripping and scraping it, a miserable job, she even worked on it alone on one of her days off when I was at work, she's a keeper and a rare catch and damn good looking too. Since then she's worked through every boat project with me. If you think your fiance' is capable of that kind of commitment your a lucky man, if not you may be looking for a dog for companionship halfway through the refit (keep the boat).
By the way, I got the boat and the dog in the first go round (score!), my ex sure did miss the dog.
Good luck, I hope the boat is all you think it is and it works out for you, many people start projects, few finish them, if you do you will be joining a very small club but will gain the knowledge and sense of accomplishment that goes with it. Nothing is impossible, it just depends on how deep your resolve runs.
Cheers!
Kelly Peterson's a fine piece.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 19:25   #70

What? The op asked about info on the boat and is hesitant. Where you get his intent attitude is made up. At 35 k its worth checking with a very dubious eye. Are you familiar with these boats? Or just have an opinion based in your reading Internet postings
Old 14-08-2013, 21:39   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
What? The op asked about info on the boat and is hesitant. Where you get his intent attitude is made up. At 35 k its worth checking with a very dubious eye. Are you familiar with these boats? Or just have an opinion based in your reading Internet postings
Hey...Whats with all the hardlines. This is the Internet...the OP asked for opinions not just KP soapbox spouters.
Old 15-08-2013, 09:21   #72

Ok, so I got more info on her. One of get fuel tanks has been replaced with a new fiberglass tank. I also found out some other maintenance work that has been done. I spoke to a surveyor and he actually is familiar with the vessel since it's dock at the same Marina he is. I've put in an offer on her pending survey results. No, I still haven't seen her. Doing this intentionally. I'll look at her when I have the survey done so I don't fall in love with the boat and get tempted to disregard the survey. And before anyone asks, yes I have Vernon Peterson 44s before and like the boat.
Old 15-08-2013, 10:41   #73
Marine Service Provider

Hey Kevin,

Last fall I viewed the boat on behalf of a guy in Hawaii. I was onboard for an hour and took 80 photos of her that can be seen on my Flickr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1003140...th/9515631317/

She is very rough. Just a few thinks that need to be done are; remove pilot house, redo decks , remove and re-bed all through deck fittings and windows, replace wiring, etc etc.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4006696004.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	65559   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1753887977.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	65560  

Name:	image-83368477.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	65561   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3777297320.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	65562  

Name:	image-2353590737.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	65563   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1865185063.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	65564  

Name:	image-3714221208.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	65565   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-735002534.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	65566  

Name:	image-2672375545.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	65567   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4224693190.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	65568  

Name:	image-3218876864.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	65569  
Everestmaritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 10:55   #74

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
Ok, so I got more info on her. One of get fuel tanks has been replaced with a new fiberglass tank. I also found out some other maintenance work that has been done. I spoke to a surveyor and he actually is familiar with the vessel since it's dock at the same Marina he is. I've put in an offer on her pending survey results. No, I still haven't seen her. Doing this intentionally. I'll look at her when I have the survey done so I don't fall in love with the boat and get tempted to disregard the survey. And before anyone asks, yes I have Vernon Peterson 44s before and like the boat.
Wow. You are brave. So you will pay for a survey without even knowing whether or not you want the boat. I hope it works out in your favor.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 10:58   #75

Thanks for the additional info. May have to retract that offer.

Tags
peterson