Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2013, 15:45   #76
Marine Service Provider

Less than zero. I am no expert but if your offer is $10,000 or less , maybe proceed with the offer and survey. I will try to quantify the needed repairs later, I think that it is tens of thousands to get her in cruising condition. For what its worth, I think that the surveyor that you mentioned is from the same marina as the selling broker, they just might be friends. Find an unbiased person n Wilmington to have a look before you pay for a full survey.
Everestmaritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 16:24   #77
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Kelly Peterson 44 Project

The gray suff on the deck, the scracks, the mast base...I'm betting there's plenty of rotted wood and metal to be found and plenty of covered up surprises.Still, if you open up a marine technology and repair school, and you get government grant money for the students so they'll pay you to do the work, you could come out OK on it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 18:09   #78

Kevin, dont let the internet bully you. Just make sure to not use a surveyor that the broker recommends. I personally would look before I hired a surveyor, but I can understand trying to keep emotions out of it. If you simply threw all the excess crap off of the boat, and that plug ugly dog house, it would greatly improve the boat. If in the end you do buy it, expect to go cross eyed and have nightmares about that wiring. My Peterson had pretty ugly wiring when I bought it (not as bad as this one) but slowly I traced and removed all of the abandoned wires and with a lot of wire ties it became decent. Not beautiful, but workable. Depending on what equipment runs on 110 volt, I would consider tossing what appears to be a generator. You have heard from all of the Doom and Gloomers, and from the cheer leaders, now it might be wise to turn off the internet, and go and make practical decisions.____Good Luck_____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 18:27   #79
Marine Service Provider

I have been onboard. Do not buy this boat unless you really need a kp44 or a have $50,000 extra lying around to spend on her. The boat is TRASHED !
Old 15-08-2013, 18:52   #80

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Call Captain Neil Haynes, Blue Water Surveys in Charleston. He surveyed a KP44 for us a few years ago and knows what to look for. We walked from the boat early on in the survey (different boat probably)
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 19:06   #81
Marine Service Provider

Anybody that wants to defend the boat please check out below link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1003140...th/9515631317/

Dan
Dan Meggitt
Old 15-08-2013, 19:16   #82

Boat: Tayana 37

Guys, I appreciate all the feedback, but I'm walking away from this one. With all the discoloration around her deck hardware, I'd lay good money down that she's got serious core rot. Def not something I want to deal with. Plus with her electrical the way it is, there is no way I'm trusting it to Cary a load ad a liveaboard until I can replace it. If I could afford to put it up on the hard for s couple Yeats while I refit her, maybe. But not otherwise.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 20:20   #83

Boat: Tartan 40
IMHO good move.

With the internet now, I really think the chances of finding that "super underpriced diamond" has gone down a ton. If there is a well-known and sought after boat (like a KP44) priced WAAYYY below market, chances are way in favor of it being a lemon. It's not like it used to be pre internet where exposure of listings was much less.

Best chance for the deal of the century in this size range is to find a boat that suits your needs, that is not a well known brand- ie no one enters it in "search" on yachtworld. Or maybe a home built that actually was built well to a good design.

From the pix, I don't think the boat is even a good deal for free....
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 21:35   #84

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

[QUOTE=gjordan;1313314]Kevin, dont let the internet bully you. QUOTE]
You seem hell bent on labeling posters who were asked by the OP for advice as being bullied when the advice that does not go with what you think. Your suggestions are sound. Just as others are and the OP has stated MANY times his gratitude for ALL the input.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 08:03   #85

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
IMHO good move.

With the internet now, I really think the chances of finding that "super underpriced diamond" has gone down a ton. If there is a well-known and sought after boat (like a KP44) priced WAAYYY below market, chances are way in favor of it being a lemon. It's not like it used to be pre internet where exposure of listings was much less.

Best chance for the deal of the century in this size range is to find a boat that suits your needs, that is not a well known brand- ie no one enters it in "search" on yachtworld. Or maybe a home built that actually was built well to a good design.

From the pix, I don't think the boat is even a good deal for free....
There are still deal boats around, especially if you are willing to deal with one that is remote, like in Trinidad or Panama. These folks generally have to offer a big discount if they are going to sell. But then the buying and looking costs go way up.
Old 16-08-2013, 08:46   #86

I learned the hard way about selling in Panama. Took a real beating by not being able to be there. I have often thought about looking in out of the way places for my next boat, but the logistics of it are tough. I bought 2 boats that were long distances from my home, and it made it difficult. On another note! I wonder if Sabray would have bought his boat, if he had asked this group for advice? ROTTEN COCKPIT OH run for the hills, the whole boat must be rotten!!!!! I doubt if Sabray is sorry that he bought his boat. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 08:48   #87

I'm not even worried so much about a "deal". My fiancé and I have a plan. It actually includes buying a friends C30 then upgrading in 4 years or so your cruising boat. But when I saw this one, I figures I'd at least do my due diligence on her and see if it made sense to skip the intermediate step.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:26   #88
jrp

curious if you bought that boat or passed? I think I am familiar with it
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:35   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
curious if you bought that boat or passed? I think I am familiar with it
Passed. Owner wouldn't budge on price and it needed way too much work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
peterson