Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2019, 17:46   #1

Boat: 1973 Morgan OI 41'
Key West to Exumas in February

I am planning to sail my Morgan OI 41' from Key West to the Bahamas in the next few weeks. I have not done this cruise before and am looking for advice on best routes.

Eventually, I want to end up in the Exumas but wouldn't mind avoiding the long sail from Key West. Currently, the plan is to sail to Marathon or Key Largo intially, then begin the gulf stream crossing from there to Bimini, Berry's, (possibly Nassau), then to Exumas.

From a light chart review, it doesn't appear to be feasible to go directly from Key West to Exumas without going far south of Andros to avoid the bank. Also appears that the Atlantic side (eastern exumas) is where we want to cruise and anchor. Is that right?

Also, How are the inter-island currents through the Bahamas.

Any recommendations regarding routes, anchorages or best check in locations would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 18:20   #2

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32
Re: Key West to Exumas in February

Paul,
A good place to start would be to invest in the Explorer Chart books. Besides being a absolute necessity for getting around, they include a tremendous amount of knowledge on all aspects of cruising the islands.
Cheers
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 19:13   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Second the recommendation on the Explorer chart books.

Regarding currents, there is a general westerly current through the islands BUT it is bent and deflected a lot by the various islands, banks, shallows, etc AND around the edges of the banks the general west current is completely overwhelmed by the tidal currents which will flow toward the bank on flood and away from the bank on ebb. Cuts and channels around the edges of the banks can experience very strong currents at max. 5-6 kts is not unusual.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 19:36   #4

Boat: Island Packet 370

We crossed from Fort Lauderdale to Bimini mid December. Customs was quick and efficient. We picked a cam day to cross so mostly motored. Be careful entering the channel into Bimini if the seas have any chance of significant waves breaking on the shore as you enter the channel. We followed the channel to the far end and anchored in 12 feet. Good protection from the winds but not especially scenic. Heard there was a fire at the marina/resort by the anchorage a week or so ago. Left Bimini and headed far enough north to stay in deep water as we traveled over to Great Harbor in the Berry Islands. Waited out a blow at the marina there. Travelled from Great Harbor the 20 or so miles over to Soldier Cay for a few days of a snorkeling, diving and fishing. You won't want to be there if you he winds are from the he west. Crossed from there to Spanish Wells where we stocked up on groceries. Anchored out in Royal Island for a few nights. Travelled through Current Cut and over to Glass Window and then followed the shoreline down the inside of Eleuthera. Good snorkeling in Alabaster Bay. Stopped for a couple of nights in Governors Harbor. We have a couple of fronts coming through over the next few days so sailed down to Rock Sound to hide from the winds that are forecast. Once things settle down we well continue to Powell Point and then cross to the Exuma's. This is our first time here and we have enjoyed everything in our journey. We skipped Nassau because of what others have told us about the place, all negative. Highly recommend the Explorer Charts as we have been told their marked routes are accurate. We plot the routes using their waypoints and haven't touched bottom so far. Enjoy you trip whichever way you go and safe travels.
njoynthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 19:57   #5

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Might wanna stop in Boot Key Harbor for a week or so. Lots of good intel there and finding a buddy boat with experience on crossing and routes should be easy. This time of year there are usually a group of boats leaving with each weather window.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 02:36   #6

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Also appears that the Atlantic side (eastern exumas) is where we want to cruise and anchor. Is that right?
If I understand Google correctly your draft is just a bit over 4' AND as wind is more usually from NE-E-SE the very much better side to cruise and anchor is on the west side of the Exumas, on the bank side.

Explorer Chartbooks <--
Old 19-01-2019, 06:09   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I am planning to sail my Morgan OI 41' from Key West to the Bahamas in the next few weeks. I have not done this cruise before and am looking for advice on best routes.

Eventually, I want to end up in the Exumas but wouldn't mind avoiding the long sail from Key West. Currently, the plan is to sail to Marathon or Key Largo intially, then begin the gulf stream crossing from there to Bimini, Berry's, (possibly Nassau), then to Exumas.

From a light chart review, it doesn't appear to be feasible to go directly from Key West to Exumas without going far south of Andros to avoid the bank. Also appears that the Atlantic side (eastern exumas) is where we want to cruise and anchor. Is that right?

Also, How are the inter-island currents through the Bahamas.

Any recommendations regarding routes, anchorages or best check in locations would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

Key West to Boot Key harbor; Boot Key to Rodriguez Key; Rodriguez to Cat Cay; Cat Cay to Chubb Cay or Morgan's Bluff on Andros (either will require an overnight on the Banks); then from either to West Bay, New Providence; and, West Bay to Allen's Cay across White Bank.

Each hop requires 1 long day save crossing the Banks from Cat to Chubb or Morgan's Bluff (unless you choose to sail through the night)

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 09:02   #8

Boat: Hunter Legend 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Key West to Boot Key harbor; Boot Key to Rodriguez Key; Rodriguez to Cat Cay; Cat Cay to Chubb Cay or Morgan's Bluff on Andros (either will require an overnight on the Banks); then from either to West Bay, New Providence; and, West Bay to Allen's Cay across White Bank.

Each hop requires 1 long day save crossing the Banks from Cat to Chubb or Morgan's Bluff (unless you choose to sail through the night)

FWIW...
Regarding Chubb Cay. They now charge $100 to land there. This wasn’t in effect last year when I came through.
Sundace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 09:20   #9

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

We are in the Berry islands right now and will post on some important check in info this afternoon.

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 10:43   #10

Boat: 1973 Morgan OI 41'

Thanks guys! I recently planned the trip from our last port, ft Pierce and planned to go through west end to abacus, Eleuthera then eximas.

Since then, I move to Key west and plan to go to the exudes. I have the explorer charts from near to far
Islands.

Nothing is more valuable to me than CF input from sailors who recently did the cruise.

Thank y’all again,

Paul
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 13:29   #11

We are in the Berries and had to look after things for the coming front hence the delay.

We came from Marathon and aimed for the Providence Channel instead of Bimini with the intention of going straight to the Berry islands and checking in at Great Harbour. That worked out fine as the wind veered mostly at the right time except for the slow start . With the wind in the nw we decided to anchor in the bight east of GH and then walk in to the airport to check in. We have often done this in the Bahamas but were told over the VHF that would not be allowed as Customs wants to come to the boat..So that was a mistake.

We then sailed around to Chub cay and checked in there. Chub Cay marina wants 112 US dollars as a dockage fee for checking in to Customs! The dockmaster was very friendly but the fee stood. As the coming cold front is to be strong we inquired about fees to stay for at least three days during the worst of the front and he offered them to us at 2.50/ft instead of the usual 3.25. In Canadian dollars that would be well over 200 /night.. times three plus the 300 for the cruising permit it would make for a 1500 dollar bill before seeing even one bit of coral (-:. Another mistake.

We left from Marathon but with winds not yet veering well south of east we had to tack while motorsailing making for slow progress. We now think Marathon is too far west of Bimini. Particularly since the many crabpots in Hawks channel prevent night time motoring. We arrived in Marathon from Ft Myers in a great northwesterly. The wind was supposed to stay in the nnw but did not and veered to the ne making Rodriguez a long bumpy slog from Marathon. It would have been better to go via the three mile entrance but with a 15 kt nw we chose Key West. Another mistake.

Btw there were no moorings available in Boot key harbour. All 226 were occupied. One cannot stay in the Anchorage during a cold front this forcing a departure before the front suitable or not.

A better departure would have been Rodriguez or Angelfish. Or even Biscayne. Because the wind was so far East and because we are junk rigged and do not sail close to the wind we actually were close to Key Largo on the way in the night.Another Canadian boat beside now beside us in Frazer's cut also drawing 4 ft came via Angelfish and saw nothing less than 8ft..

It is not automatically true that further south is better as so many say because not only is further south further from Bimini but it is also much further west. Not good in the early stages of a coming cold front.

The window available for sailing, assuming one wants to avoid northerly component winds early in the season, is normally not more than two days and might well be shorter. Hence a nearer point of departure is better.

Our neighbours checked in at Bimini at much lower cost including a stay at a pleasant marina there. I do not remember the name, Brown's something or other? No rip off fee either. And customs did not come to the boat!

We now hunker down for a vigorous cold front. In the early part of the season be prepared.

Hope this helps

Jim
Old 19-01-2019, 13:41   #12

And a reply to Grandview846 since I do not seem to be able to reply privately as the reply space is filled with your message, no I do not know of anyone storing their boat in the Bahamas but find it an intriguing idea. First thing to check is custom regulations.

SORRY Paul, I do not know how to reply privately.

Jim
Old 19-01-2019, 15:04   #13

And a reply to Grandview846 since I do not seem to be able to reply privately as the reply space is filled with your message, no I do not know of anyone storing their boat in the Bahamas but find it an intriguing idea. First thing to check is custom regulations.

SORRY Paul, I do not know how to reply privately.

Jim
Old 20-01-2019, 09:31   #14

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
,,,,,, in the bight east of GH and then walk in to the airport to check in. We have often done this in the Bahamas but were told over the VHF that would not be allowed as Customs wants to come to the boat..
Jim
Question: Did you walk to Customs/Immigration at the airport?? Or did you not attempt that? And who did you speak with on the VHF? I have had to call C/I on the phone, but never knew them to respond on VHF
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 09:58   #15

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Miami or Ft. Lauderdale to North Rocks (just north of Bimini), then onto the banks and north of Mackie Shoal to NW Channel where you enter the Tongue of the Ocean. From there it's a deep-water run to Nassau. Took me 27 hours (non-stop) from Lauderdale to Nassau in my last boat (44 foot cutter) in calm weather. Clear customs and top off fuel in Nassau, then about 5-7 hours down to the Exumas (only do this run in daylight). You will be anchoring on the Western side of the Exuma islands. You can sail southbound on either side, but the eastern side (Exuma Sound) is very deep and easy to navigate.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exumas, key west