Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2023, 09:02   #196

Re: Kirsten Neuschafer Cape George 36 @ 7.9 knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
I hope she's not in trouble.

Speculate.... speculate....

She may want to have a quiet night on the hook, re-reeve a halyard or two, have a think about repairing her damaged 'twinsail'.

That could mean a visit from Port Control and formal consent. Something a little different from the 'day-to-day'.

And there will be 'kelpers' in Stanley who'll remember her from previous visits.

The Port Control launch 'John Davis' did r/v with 'Minehaha', they've clearly had some conversation, and ATM they're both heading NE at about 4.7kts/ Perhaps a local 'newshound' has taken the opportunity for a 'scoop' interview.
notoldbilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 09:13   #197

Boat: Bristol 27

They circled for a while now hopefully she is headed back out after photo op and film drop?

Speed back up over 5 knots now.

She's headed back out now......at 7.3 knots
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 11:37   #198

Boat: Pearson 386

To the poster concerning Kirsten's boat speed, your numbers seem a little bit off, a report of 272 NM in 24hrs, I say that's not exactly credible. The commonly used hull speed formula expressed in Knots for a displacement vessel is ~1.35x SQR(LWL). Thus, Kirsten's hull speed of the Cape George is about 7.6 Knots. Can boats exceed their theoretical hull speed? Absolutely they can due to hull form influences on the bow and stern wakes however we should not be looking for numbers like 11 because that wouldn't happen if you rode the same wave for 16 of those 24 hours and you had two dolphins pulling. The beautiful design of this Atkin/Monk is something by itself, and Kirsten is doing great.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 12:10   #199

'To the poster ( above ) concerning Kirsten's boat speed'.....

There have been 'anomalous' entries posted intermittently on the Live Tracker GGR websitefor many weeks. They have been reported from time to time, and most of us simply ignore those SNAFUs.

It may be there is some machine-algorithm at fault, or perhaps a goofy Millennial or GenZed who 'can't count, won't count'.... but those of us deeply interested manage to concoct our own broad calculations, perhaps by transposition of Posns to Google Earth Pro/New Path/Measurements ( btw, what's a 'smoots' ) or perhaps by The Sailings.

Either way, our lady Kirsten is sailing a blinder.

Old 18-02-2023, 12:43   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBoatman View Post
To the poster concerning Kirsten's boat speed, your numbers seem a little bit off, a report of 272 NM in 24hrs, I say that's not exactly credible. The commonly used hull speed formula expressed in Knots for a displacement vessel is ~1.35x SQR(LWL). Thus, Kirsten's hull speed of the Cape George is about 7.6 Knots. Can boats exceed their theoretical hull speed? Absolutely they can due to hull form influences on the bow and stern wakes however we should not be looking for numbers like 11 because that wouldn't happen if you rode the same wave for 16 of those 24 hours and you had two dolphins pulling. The beautiful design of this Atkin/Monk is something by itself, and Kirsten is doing great.
Yeah after it got to be a crazy high number I/we figured it didn’t reset daily NM

Speed / 24 hour NM etc was copy and paste off the GGR site.

I have a similar boat and although I have hit a high speed of 7.7 knots on my Bristol 27 II was in 135’ of water in the Chesapeake Bay which is crazy deep and had the tide
Old 18-02-2023, 14:29   #201

So as I was checking out all the racers in the GBR 2022 a while back, I was surprised at some of the things Kirsten Neuschafer had done like cycling the length of Africa then for fun taking a drag behind her boat that she is sailing single handed 100's of miles from land or help.

Here's the first post I did on her: (and btw I still need/want a ladder like hers if anyone knows where I can order one let me know )
__________________________________________________ ____

Can anyone tell me what type ladder she is using at the 3:45 mark of this video?

And she is at the mast top at about 5:40 mark.

Btw after she gets in the water she appears to be hanging on with one hand 100's of miles from the nearest boat with her boat sailing along on autopilot.

Later I realize it was always a two handed hold most of the time.

Old 18-02-2023, 15:37   #202

She's the real deal.
Old 19-02-2023, 04:29   #203

Guy Waites loses his Life Raft due to large wave that also knocked him down.

Mike Smith of Tasmania is building a replica of Suhaili for the GGR 2026 which should be very similar to the boat Robin Knox-Johnson sailed in the first GGR in 1968 and won with.

His boat was wooden and built in India of Burmese teak.

Old 19-02-2023, 07:30   #204

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Mike Smith of Tasmania is building a replica of Suhaili for the GGR 2026 which should be very similar to the boat Robin Knox-Johnson sailed in the first GGR in 1968 and won with.
He could do better.
Suhaili is within inches in all dimensions, (and weight,) of a Westsail 32.
Later in his career, William Atkin designed similar boats which have/had better performance.
Flatter buttock lines and longer waterlines while still under the 36' limit of the GGR, (witness the Cape George 36).
One such choice might be "Clione", at 34' 7" OA, and ~30' LWL, with a bit less beam, she is a more "slippery" boat for lighter air and more LWL for when the wind pipes up.
A perusal of Atkin's designs will show several that meet the GGR rules and will outperform a copy of Suhaili.

Old 19-02-2023, 10:03   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoldbilbo View Post
There have been 'anomalous' entries...
Yes indeed. For example Moitessier did round the Horn on the 05 February 1969.
Baronkrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2023, 10:30   #206

Our gallant Abhilash is enjoying a very good 'lift' from the tide-stream through the Le Maire Strait, cracking on at a reported 10+ knots, and should continue to benefit for a couple of hours more. He'll need to work on getting clear away NE, for the wind to the NW is becoming light to calm, and he wouldn't wish to be 'sucked' back down through the strait again.....
Old 19-02-2023, 10:39   #207
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
She's the real deal.

that's true. amazing really.
Old 19-02-2023, 12:05   #208

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Our gallant Abhilash is enjoying a very good 'lift' from the tide-stream through the Le Maire Strait, cracking on at a reported 10+ knots, and should continue to benefit for a couple of hours more. He'll need to work on getting clear away NE, for the wind to the NW is becoming light to calm, and he wouldn't wish to be 'sucked' back down through the strait again.....
Yes, at 1900Z he was a bit too far west and close to Cabo San Diego - the real nasty bit - for my liking.
Query - what are they carrying in the way of pilots and charts? I would have thought that a copy of the South American Pilot Vol 2 and a few paper charts of that area at a minimum.
Query Dos - tide information. There is a Prefectura station at Bahia Buen Suceso that he could have spoken to on VHF but probably pretty much committed by the time in range. Conditions are pretty benign so I guess he could have just stemmed the south going stream until it started going his way.

Leaving the Falklands to port would seem to be his best option at present , I wonder if Kirsten will end up regretting the hours spent catching up with friends at Stanley. I see she has just sailed into a hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lemaire.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	271775  
Old 19-02-2023, 12:45   #209

Yes, El Pinguino. Your knowledgible contributions 'add salt and pepper' to this sometimes bland litany. I'd no idea of the very strong tides around there....

The chartlet is much appreciated.

Mayhap Kirsten may simply be 'chilling' for a while, enjoying the peace and quiet of a windhole for a while. That's NOT what Abhilash wants....
Old 19-02-2023, 13:18   #210

Looks like Kirsten now at 6.2 knots may be getting out of the windhole and may be able to connect the dots so to speak as far as wind for a while....

Tags
knot