Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2023, 14:58   #226

Re: Kirsten Neuschafer Cape George 36 @ 7.9 knots

'Meanwhile, back at the ranch'....

Kirsten has opened out a 500nm lead over Abhilash, and is cracking on at a reported 8kts.

But.... there's a long way to go, anything could happen - and likely will do!
notoldbilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 08:43   #227

Boat: Bristol 27

Simon and Michael both sailing a Biscay 36 are within 76 miles of each other with over 7,000 miles to go.

Could be an interesting one design race for a while anyway.

Simon seems to be faster but that could be the wind he is getting.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 09:37   #228

Boat: Oyster 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I've just been listening to Simon on the GGR site.
Does anyone know who is putting out the wx on HF. He refers to him as 'Peter Mont'?

It seems that they are reading out the Directemar forecasts in english.
Peter Mott is out of Russell NZ and runs a free service called Passage Guardian Radio. https://passageguardian.nz/
He became a great friend over the air for us on our passage from Easter island to Valdivia. Every night he'd check our position and then tell us we were about to get hammered yet again by another damn low. His favorite phrase for us was "You'd better get a wiggle on to the north!". Im sure his broadcasts are having similar impacts for Simon and Michael. Michael should round before the worst of things... Fingers crossed for Simon.
gpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 10:13   #229

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeacock View Post
Peter Mott is out of Russell NZ and runs a free service called Passage Guardian Radio. https://passageguardian.nz/
He became a great friend over the air for us on our passage from Easter island to Valdivia. Every night he'd check our position and then tell us we were about to get hammered yet again by another damn low. His favorite phrase for us was "You'd better get a wiggle on to the north!". Im sure his broadcasts are having similar impacts for Simon and Michael. Michael should round before the worst of things... Fingers crossed for Simon.
Thanks Gary, there I was thinking it was someone out of Chile. We hear what we want to hear I guess. He - Simon- was talking about Zones 6 and 7 the other day so I guess Peter was giving him the relevant Chilean coastal forecasts.
Sounds interesting.
We crossed in early '16 which was most likely before Peter set up his service.
We set up a sked with Patricia on Gulf Harbour Radio/Tony's net ( 14 mHz) when we left NZ. Someone north of Gulf Harbour was monitoring propagation and we changed our sked times almost daily - crystal all the way to Chacao. That didn't involve wx routing, just posrep and general chat.
Old 22-02-2023, 15:57   #230

They got Kirsten on the radio again for a report:

https://soundcloud.com/goldenglobera...r2022-22022023
Old 24-02-2023, 08:40   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Simon and Michael both sailing a Biscay 36 are within 76 miles of each other with over 7,000 miles to go.

Could be an interesting one design race for a while anyway.

Simon seems to be faster but that could be the wind he is getting.
Simon is now only 32 miles behind Michael G. and is sailing almost DDW in a building wind and going faster........

Don't know what amount he owes in penalties though
Old 24-02-2023, 09:13   #232

Quote:
Simon is now only 32 miles behind Michael G. and is sailing almost DDW in a building wind and going faster........

Don't know what amount he owes in penalties though
Simon not competing with Michael any longer. Michael is still in the race and can win or place. Simon is out of the official race and now in "Chichester Class".

From the race rules:

This is a non-stop one-class race, so any entrant forced to make one stopover, or break the seal on their portable GPS chart plotter, will not be eligible for any official Golden Globe trophies, refund of the entry fee or completion plaques, but can remain in the event, being moved to the ‘Chichester Class’. They will receive a ‘Chichester’ finishing plaque, provided they finish no later than 1500hrs on 14th June 2023.
coxfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 11:11   #233

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Meanwhile way beyond the back of the fleet I am a bit concerned about Guy Waites decision making process. He stated earlier that he planned to go through Cook Strait - and if you check MarineTraffic that seems to be exactly what he is doing. Not a clever move all things weather wise considered.
Also planning to carry on to the Horn. That would see him down there in late April / early May.
I would have thought the wisest move would have been to lay her up in Hobart and start again next austral summer.
Old 24-02-2023, 11:25   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxfirm View Post
Simon not competing with Michael any longer. Michael is still in the race and can win or place. Simon is out of the official race and now in "Chichester Class".

From the race rules:

This is a non-stop one-class race, so any entrant forced to make one stopover, or break the seal on their portable GPS chart plotter, will not be eligible for any official Golden Globe trophies, refund of the entry fee or completion plaques, but can remain in the event, being moved to the ‘Chichester Class’. They will receive a ‘Chichester’ finishing plaque, provided they finish no later than 1500hrs on 14th June 2023.
Simon and Michael are on the same type sailboat. (Biscay 36)

They are in the ocean sailing and over 7,000 miles from a finish line and are only 32 miles apart.

Regardless of the rules, I can almost guarantee you they are racing each other.

Most of us that race (or used to race) could care less about plagues, trophies, or Class BS. That stuff is for kids and beginner racers.

Folks that are into racing want to be the first boat over the line especially in a one design race ......

of 7,000 miles.
Old 24-02-2023, 11:53   #235

"Whenever you have two sailboats in the same bit of ocean, you can guarantee that at least one of them is racing"
Kermit
notoldbilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 21:12   #236

Quote:
Simon and Michael are on the same type sailboat. (Biscay 36)

They are in the ocean sailing and over 7,000 miles from a finish line and are only 32 miles apart.

Regardless of the rules, I can almost guarantee you they are racing each other.

Most of us that race (or used to race) could care less about plagues, trophies, or Class BS. That stuff is for kids and beginner racers.

Folks that are into racing want to be the first boat over the line especially in a one design race ......

of 7,000 miles.
Thom,

I cited the GGR racing rules and wrote that Simon is no longer competing with Michael because I was replying specifically in the context of your statement about Simon that you "Don't know what amount he owes in penalties though." Your statement implied to me that you thought Simon was still competing to win the GGR subject to some kind of penalties. I posted the excerpt from the race rules in reply.

Simon made one stopover, so he is out. He can no longer hope, at least for this year, to become part of that distinguished list of sailors who have sailed nonstop solo around the world. Michael is still in the race and likely focused on finishing his solo nonstop circumnavigation - not whether Simon who made a stopover in Chile passes him on the way to France. Simon could end up in Les Sables d'Olonne days before Michael and still not achieve what Michael will if he continues on to France without a stopover.

Attrition has been high. There are only 4 sailors left in the race and Michael is one of them. For me, the final leg of the race will be more interesting following those 4 who are still in it.

I've raced my fair share of multihulls and monohulls. Even won a wooden schooner race as skipper. I've also been on racing rules committees and been responsible for running regattas and races. I wish I'd known about racers not caring about awards. It would have made things a little easier for me. I did make the trophies different sized beer mugs for a race once with some free mug refills for the evening and all the race winners seemed to like that!

That kind of brings us full circle to this quote from Sir Francis Chichester: “Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.”

Awards and drunken sailors aside, my experience has been that racers do care about the rules being followed.
coxfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 03:37   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxfirm View Post
Thom,

I cited the GGR racing rules and wrote that Simon is no longer competing with Michael because I was replying specifically in the context of your statement about Simon that you "Don't know what amount he owes in penalties though." Your statement implied to me that you thought Simon was still competing to win the GGR subject to some kind of penalties. I posted the excerpt from the race rules in reply.

Simon made one stopover, so he is out. He can no longer hope, at least for this year, to become part of that distinguished list of sailors who have sailed nonstop solo around the world. Michael is still in the race and likely focused on finishing his solo nonstop circumnavigation - not whether Simon who made a stopover in Chile passes him on the way to France. Simon could end up in Les Sables d'Olonne days before Michael and still not achieve what Michael will if he continues on to France without a stopover.

Attrition has been high. There are only 4 sailors left in the race and Michael is one of them. For me, the final leg of the race will be more interesting following those 4 who are still in it.

I've raced my fair share of multihulls and monohulls. Even won a wooden schooner race as skipper. I've also been on racing rules committees and been responsible for running regattas and races. I wish I'd known about racers not caring about awards. It would have made things a little easier for me. I did make the trophies different sized beer mugs for a race once with some free mug refills for the evening and all the race winners seemed to like that!

That kind of brings us full circle to this quote from Sir Francis Chichester: “Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.”

Awards and drunken sailors aside, my experience has been that racers do care about the rules being followed.
No, I threw in the line about the penalties for the opposite reason. (Sorry to have confused you)

I meant regardless of any GGR rule etc., these guys will definitely be racing to the finish line.

Call it what you want or nothing at all, but I'm thinking they want to get back ASAP and they are near each other on almost the exact same type boat.

They will be trying to get there first.

In PHRF races, we called it racing boat for boat. (with no regard for the handicap rating)

On top of all that, it will make the final leg up the Atlantic much more fun!

As far as trophies, awards etc, I was in somewhere around 400-450 races with many of those being buoy races which means for the regatta we did 4-5 races.

If I didn't win, I usually placed so that is a pile of trophies etc. After a while you start to get rid of the crappy ones then the better ones.

I think I have two left. One 3rd place coffee mug and a Hobie 16 First Place Skipper Plaque from 1997.

The Hobie 16 race was one we did in our like 4th year of racing and I was able to race it with my son when he was 15 years old. Soon girls replaced sailing with Dad so that was a memorable regatta. There were 17 Hobie 16's racing plus some Hobie 17's etc.

It was at Sardis Lake in Mississippi.

We had competed in a 100 mile race on the Gulf Coast on a Nacra 6.0 a couple weeks before. There were 82 boats on the starting line for that one at 0700 in the morning.

We finished in 12 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Martin Sardis Lake 1997.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	272002  
Old 25-02-2023, 04:34   #238

Simon and Michael G. are now only about 5 miles apart and they can probably see each other if the weather is decent.

That's got to be exciting for them!

As we have seen from earlier in the race though, Simon's boat is quite fast for what it is so he may just roll right on past Michael.....

Michael Guggenberger Austria
Biscay 36 - 17

Speed: 2.3 knots @ 99.06°
Skipper: -
Owner: Nuri
Position at: 25 Feb 2023 12:00 UTC
Lat/Lon: 56° 19.99 S, 068° 39.07 W
DTF: 7118.7 NM
Distance (last 24hrs): 100 NM
3rd in All Boats

Simon Curwen United Kingdom
Biscay 36 - 4

Speed: 5.7 knots @ 95.86°
Skipper: -
Owner: Clara
Position at: 25 Feb 2023 12:00 UTC
Lat/Lon: 56° 0.87 S, 068° 53.91 W
DTF: 7124.3 NM
Distance (last 24hrs): 130 NM
1st in Chichester Class
Old 25-02-2023, 09:38   #239

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

I'm not liking what I see on the Windy overlay.
Kirsten has only had a 64NM run in the last 24, and she's heading into a wide area of what appears to be contrary winds.
Tomy has gained a lot of miles and has cut Kristen's lead down by ~80NM, and it looks as though he has favorable winds for a goodly distance.
Old 25-02-2023, 09:45   #240

It's definitely going to get interesting.

If they get close not sure which boat is faster....... if they do get in the same wind for a while.

Long way to go yet though.

Tags
knot