Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2023, 07:06   #121

Re: Kirsten Neuschafer Cape George 36 @ 7.9 knots

It seems that S. Curwen is now in the Canal De Chacao.
Baronkrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:54   #122

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
See Thomm- you actually have no idea. “You fair weather sailors” could be taken as a slight, but actually is good seamanship on any body of water. And, being able to make good progress in light/moderate air is the mainstay of passage making.

For example, once a front passes with your 30 knots for 6-12 hours, what do you do for the upcoming days in light air? Unless you are a planing Volvo type boat you can’t stay with a front for a whole passage.

We’ve all tolerated your Chesapeake bay videos for years. They show chop and breeze. Very different than what you find off the coast especially with a strong frontal passage. I love the Bay, and have passed through your part many times. But please do some real offshore passages before you claim expertise on what sail plan needed.
Things get crazy at the mouth of the Bay.

My videos are taken when things calm down and I again have control of the boat.

If you think it isn't good practice to sail in those conditions that's your decision, but I think you learn a lot.

Now I have made mistakes and gotten caught unprepared as in that big wind video but thanks to the boat, rigging and rudder holding out, and the fact that the wind stayed below 35 knots or so I made it thru okay

The big wind and seas were "hiding" behind the land and as I cleared it maybe 5-6 miles offshore after leaving Kiptopeke on my normal SSW heading the big wind and waves appeared. Waves close to 8' closely spaced and breaking. I would hold on to the winch to stay aboard when they broke over the boat

Hatch was open, no PFD on, no tether. I had to fix all that in the moment

I was finally able to turn DDW after a tanker passed and also furl the jib. Couldn't do anything about the main though

Had I gotten swept off the boat though mid bay I would have been in a lot of trouble. There were no boats out there just a ship or two

You don't have to be 200 miles offshore to lose your life due to a mistake

As far as rough water in the ocean, I just don't think it would be smart to go out into the ocean and wait for bad weather so I can see how I and my boat deal with it.

That makes no sense to me.

My plan would be to avoid bad weather if I could and this day and age we have so much weather data that you can usually avoid it

As far as what I do after the front passes?

I do nothing because I'm either at home taking a hot bath after my sail across the bay when the wind was up due to the front or having a beer at my dock cleaning up/rinsing my boat from the salt water that got all over it during the crossing
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:58   #123

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
As far as what I do after the front passes?

I do nothing because I'm either at home taking a hot bath after my sail across the bay when the wind was up due to the front or having a beer at my dock cleaning up/rinsing my boat from the salt water that got all over it during the crossing

That's because you're not going very far. If you wanted to go further, the game changes.

Basically, being prepared to sail in bad weather is important. But being able to sail in good, calm weather is also very useful. It's less abuse on the boat, easier on the crew, etc.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 08:06   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
That's because you're not going very far. If you wanted to go further, the game changes.

Basically, being prepared to sail in bad weather is important. But being able to sail in good, calm weather is also very useful. It's less abuse on the boat, easier on the crew, etc.
Yeah and you can sail in calm weather with any rags you have. Just raise them and go.

And don't forget to ease the downhaul a bit and the main and jib sheet

You learn a lot doing 20 -30 mile races in 5 knot winds which I have done numerous times

As far as the game changing when you sail further, maybe I'll try that one day but I sail in heavy and light wind here so again I don't need to sail for days on end to see the difference.

Plus that is boring

This was a long crossing

Old 08-02-2023, 08:11   #125

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yeah and you can sail in calm weather with any rags you have. Just raise them and go.

And don't forget to ease the downhaul a bit and the main and jib sheet

You learn a lot doing 20 -30 mile races in 5 knot winds which I have done numerous times

As far as the game changing when you sail further, maybe I'll try that one day but I sail in heavy and light wind here so again I don't need to sail for days on end to see the difference.

Plus that is boring

This was a long crossing

The difference with distance is that the further you're going, the more speed is a benefit. If you're going 25 miles, it's not a big deal if you're averaging 4 kts or 6 kts on a light wind day, as you'll still arrive well before dark (6 hr 15 min vs 4 hr 10 min) . But if you're going 60 miles, then that same difference has expanded to become much more significant. Now we're talking about getting there in 10 hours vs 15 hours.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 08:15   #126

Perfect conditions here.

Made the crossing in 3 hours same as when the wind was gusting to 34 or so in other video due to the building wind and the tide plus direct course

As far as the wing and wing, the sails sort of did that themselves as I steered away from Kiptopeke Beach between the cement ships so I just went with it.

Had a nice hike on the trails before leaving so it about 12 noon or so in the video

Old 08-02-2023, 08:24   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The difference with distance is that the further you're going, the more speed is a benefit. If you're going 25 miles, it's not a big deal if you're averaging 4 kts or 6 kts on a light wind day, as you'll still arrive well before dark (6 hr 15 min vs 4 hr 10 min) . But if you're going 60 miles, then that same difference has expanded to become much more significant. Now we're talking about getting there in 10 hours vs 15 hours.
I thought you cruisers liked being on the boat so why hurry.

If you are going 60?

I did 55 last summer but it was blowing 16 knots. Got there at 10:30 pm. First anchoring spot was too rough passed that one at 5 pm

I have completed 5 or so 100 mile races so being stuck on the boat in light winds isn't new to me.

Also I did those races on Beach Cats so we didn't have motors or anchors onboard.

Took 20 hours to complete two of those races so we got in at 3 am. Then had a shower and went to Waffle House.

The fastest my 15 years old son and I completed one of the 100 mile races was in 12 hours with a sloop rigged Nacra 6.0 in 1997. We had no spinnaker or we would have finished maybe a couple hours sooner.

There were 82 boats on the starting line of Leeside Park Ft Walton Beach, FL at race start that morning 0700.

Race starts heading toward the East going out into the Gulf under Destin Bridge then taking a right toward the West at the Sea Buoy and back in Pensacola Pass
Old 08-02-2023, 08:30   #128

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

The distance between them has stayed at ~100 miles, but Kirsten is making better speed now it seems.
Go Kirsten.
Old 08-02-2023, 08:32   #129

Whenever I see the word 'gotten' in a text, I have my prejudices confirmed regarding the quality of education and judgment of the writer..... and immediately scroll away.

I have managed well a full 3/4 of a century using the English I learned on my mother's knee, in Europe, India, Africa, the Middle East.... and even in effective communication with 'Strines'. Nowhere else distorts and bastardises their mother-tongue, needlessly, as do some 'Murricains'.

Oh, for some rollback of cultural misappropriation...!

Harumph

notoldbilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 08:32   #130

https://goldengloberace.com/live-tracker/

Yeah Tomy has slowed a bit and isn't headed on course as Kirstin is.

Right now she is headed in the right direction and is at 4.9 knots compared to Tomy's 3.3 with his heading being ENE
Old 08-02-2023, 08:54   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoldbilbo View Post
Whenever I see the word 'gotten' in a text, I have my prejudices confirmed regarding the quality of education and judgment of the writer..... and immediately scroll away.

I have managed well a full 3/4 of a century using the English I learned on my mother's knee, in Europe, India, Africa, the Middle East.... and even in effective communication with 'Strines'. Nowhere else distorts and bastardises their mother-tongue, needlessly, as do some 'Murricains'.

Harumph

Looks like you miss a bit just learning on your mother's knee, and not getting a proper formal education

You should have "gotten" a Bachelor of Arts degree like I did!! (BA History, with Math and Computer Science minors)

Is have gotten correct grammar?

HAVE GOTTEN – Used in American English, only.

Is gotten valid?

gotten is a valid English word.

What is the example of got or gotten?

In American English, the past participle of “get” in its literal sense of “receive” or “become” is usually “gotten”. In the sense of “must” or “have”, the past participle is always “got”. For example, in the first case (receive, become): I have never gotten a gift.
Old 08-02-2023, 09:04   #132

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoldbilbo View Post

Harumph

A bit harsh don't you reckon? In British English get, got, and got is the present, past, and past participle. In US English it's get, got, and gotten.

We also spell bastardized differently.

As Winston said, "two great countries separated only by a common language". Language lives and constantly changes.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 10:07   #133

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Syntax pedantry about nautical terms and usage is annoying but at least cruising related.

This is not cruising related. There are other forums you can go to to argue about general English usage.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 10:12   #134
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Kirsten Neuschafer Cape George 36 @ 7.9 knots

Arrrr..!!! Away cursed spot.. Away..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:25   #135

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Simon will be in Montt by dark. They may not clear him in til the morrow but going ashore for dinner probably isn't high priority just now.

Tags
knot