Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2017, 19:46   #46

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Re: l dont like my miserable sugar scoop stern!

I have a forward chine on my boat that with just the wrong angle of chop from forward slaps. We all have to wear our horse hair shirts once in a while to earn those perfect sunsets...
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 06:31   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Thanks for the ideas about using the main halyard or boom to lift the motor. I've been thinking along those lines already but have not tried it yet. Normally we just use a handy billy tied to the arch and let it down that way. I'll have to experiment doing it amid ships. I actually like having the dink loose, it easier for me to position the motor that way. I often do it by myself but usually the Wife helps.

12' Portebote with an 8 hp 2 cycle.

I really don't get the comments about how stepping sideways out of the boat is better than up and down. I see folks struggling over their RIB floats at floating docks all the time. We have a one step hanging over the side. The Wife really needs it but is very comfortable with it. No rocking, just one step and up or down. I hand stuff up to the deck standing in the center of the dink. All very balanced. My legs are a bit longer so I can, if the mood strikes, just step on the dink seat and up to the deck over the life lines. We do have a pretty low freeboard for a 44' cc.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 12:44   #48

Boat: ODay 322

If you are at anchor facing the wind, how do the waves come from the opposite direction against your stern?
naitaka322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 13:34   #49

Boat: SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by naitaka322 View Post
If you are at anchor facing the wind, how do the waves come from the opposite direction against your stern?
Looks like you don't anchor out of protected waters too much. Most sailboats
go around anchor depending on wich is stronger:wind or currents, but it dosn't mean that waves come in the same direction.

Even in a protected anchorage it's very common to have small cross waves caused by the reflux on shore, passing boats, ......

Mariano

Fair winds
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 15:33   #50

Boat: beneteau OC 352

Use a stern anchor to swing the stern around so any swells approach from the bow.. you'll love your life

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 16:02   #51

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I'm approaching my second season with no boat after 30 years, 8 boats, and 2 kids. I miss the sound of the waves on the hull at night. Shore life is too quiet, too steady, too easy. Night on the boat is the best time. At anchor, the darkness envelopes you, like the boat is the whole world and you can't see any farther, except for the dazzling lightshow above, stars like in movies or dreams. Or the moon is out and you can see all around like a moonlit landscape, all the boats tugging gently on their rocnas, bruces and spades. And below, all cozy in my bunk, I have my LED lights, origo stove, and time to relax, to let my sunburnt skin cool down. Time moves more slowly. I watch the moonbeams track across the cabin as the boat swings. I lie in my bunk with my face against the hull, wondering if some giant fish or fish monster is on the other side of the fiberglass, like a cm away from me. And the waves make a little sound on the hull.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wavey 313.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	143134  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 16:15   #52

Boat: SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I'm approaching my second season with no boat after 30 years, 8 boats, and 2 kids. I miss the sound of the waves on the hull at night. Shore life is too quiet, too steady, too easy. Night on the boat is the best time. At anchor, the darkness envelopes you, like the boat is the whole world and you can't see any farther, except for the dazzling lightshow above, stars like in movies or dreams. Or the moon is out and you can see all around like a moonlit landscape, all the boats tugging gently on their rocnas, bruces and spades. And below, all cozy in my bunk, I have my LED lights, origo stove, and time to relax, to let my sunburnt skin cool down. Time moves more slowly. I watch the moonbeams track across the cabin as the boat swings. I lie in my bunk with my face against the hull, wondering if some giant fish or fish monster is on the other side of the fiberglass, like a cm away from me. And the waves make a little sound on the hull.
g
Great words, just want a few days off and go for a little ride. Thanks
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 13:49   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
How trendy and eye-catching were they for a couple of decades.? ..though so impractical unless fitted with (bad looking) ladders or platforms
Some have had mods which make them practical and not bad looking. PO did a six figure cruising conversion. This cut out makes mob's a breeze (added level of safety for sure). The best part is the easy boarding and swimming from the dock or dinghy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1489610895700.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	143214
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:28   #54

Boat: Beneteau First 265, 26.5 ft

Here is an example of improvement to a Norseman 400. I own one of these boats and have been pondering adding this to my boat.

Currently the stern digs in and causes a noisy backwash - the "boattail drag" slows us down and creates unnecessary noise under sail. Hmmm...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Norseman400 SUGAR SCOOP.pdf (256.1 KB, 127 views)
hard-a-ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:44   #55

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by naitaka322 View Post
Its usually not a problem, but when the current turns my stern into the wind, I don't sleep in the aft cabin.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:19   #56
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

people who dream of sailing should remember there is water below the boat. water moves and usually slaps beats or washes the hull. i prefer the high freeboard hard to enter formosa as i need not worry about unwanted visitors in my life at night. granted it is less easy to reboard the high freeboard ketch without a proper boarding ladder, which i lost to being crushed in a furycame.
i love the sound of the water on my hull. makes me think i am not dragging anchor. seems most of the slapping and krill popping sounds go away as you drag., when i can hear em i sleep like a brick . until the cessation of sound convinces me we are all gonna die. then i am awake and on deck.
as i donot choose to swim in populated areas, i choose my reboarding boarding ladders carefully and plan them so they are for MY best interests, wide footrests well into water. i DO kayak for commuting and for pleasure.
when i am in questionable neighborhoods i can control those pending intruders abilities to board me by raising and locking the boarding device above level of the ability of swimmers to reach.
as for your current reality-- as you chose this issue, now you get to deal with it. supposedly it is easy to resell your used boat--altho i learned otherwise quickly enough many years ago. so you have a choice-- either mod your boat or sell for different style.
easy peasy.
i love the chainsaw mod idea---- but it might reduce resale value some.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:42   #57

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Not being able to sleep in the aft cabin in the rare event that a current turns your stern to the wind is a without question bourgeois tragedy of enormous proportion!
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:57   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-a-ground View Post
Here is an example of improvement to a Norseman 400. I own one of these boats and have been pondering adding this to my boat.
Love that boat. Hooked has a very similar layout.

If would if I were in your shoes I would go for it. As you can see the cut out on Hooked is different than the sugarscoop you are looking at. However, some of the same abilities apply.

Here are the reasons I like it:

Being able to board via stern-to at a slip is great. It reminds me of boarding a cat with stern steps. Kids and dogs just hop on and off without any concern. Also, elderly or people with mobility issues have little to no problem.

The cockpit can be made very clean, very quickly with this opening (the teak helps; it doesn't show shoe/footprints like f/g does). The down side is debris and dirt does enter easily if you are docked stern to the wind. I'm looking into making a removable mesh netting to cover it.

People love sitting there while sailing, dangling their feet off the back while taking in unobstructed views. Great place to hang out when fishing too. It's easy to dive off in a tank for bottom cleaning, or someday maybe scuba.

At the dock or at anchor I find loading and unloading provisions are much, much easier and better on the body vs midships (especially in a dinghy). It's also been helpful when fixing, hoisting and putting on the outboard motor.

It is used when docking, enables single-handed docking too, by stepping off when docking in double slips and end ties. Also, this is where a mooring ball is grabbed by hand.

At anchor it is also easy to put a sailing rig on a dinghy and boarding it there too. Cleaning the dink/water toys/dirty feet or paws is also done here (via hot water cockpit shower).

Lastly, knock on wood, it is ideal for a MOB.

Zeehag is right though, it could be an issue with resale. We have had some people say "isn't water going to flood your cockpit and below decks?!". In actuality, if you get pooped that water is going to drain out in seconds, not minutes. She spent a lot of time in heavy, big waves in Hawaii (like Molokai Channel). PO says water never entered in a following sea. Also, yes intruders have made themselves welcome - waking up to a duck in your cockpit can make for an interesting morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-a-ground View Post

Currently the stern digs in and causes a noisy backwash - the "boattail drag" slows us down and creates unnecessary noise under sail. Hmmm...
Old 12-05-2017, 18:11   #59

Boat: Beneteau First 265, 26.5 ft

Great additional thoughts on the scoop. On my old Beneteau, we would use the sugar scoop to hold salsa, chips, and beer while we floated on pool toys to keep cool and visit with our friends.

Relative to the perceived "drag" of the Norseman stern - I was motoring at the time i noticed this - no heal. Definitely need to experience the boat with fully loaded rig, sailing with some heal. Likely a totally different experience.

This Norseman I bought is a very solid boat. She took care of us on our run down to Chesapeake from Long Island in April 2017.

As that article says, such a change is forever, i'll take some time pondering this for sure. It appears the boat is in Annapolis, I'll see if I can locate the owner and make a new friend.

cheers, Frank.
hard-a-ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 07:54   #60

Yep, that sounds familiar, scoop as the boat bar. Sounds like you have a good plan.