Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 12:28   #1

Lake Boat

I am currently shopping for a used boat to lake sail (Clarks Hill in GA). I am moving up from a small dinghy to something more substantial. I have done some research and am thinking about a 25' Catalina or Hunter. I would welcome any advice on the suitability of these boats or advantages of one over the other.

Planned usage: Primary day sailer with the occasional overnight with wife and kids (2).

Experience: limited taking lessons.

Budget: 15 to 20k including upgrades etc.

Storage: boat will be stored in water but may be trailered occasionally.

Maintenance: I have spent years restoring cars but not much boat work so will be learning on the job.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I am looking forward to joining the sailing community.
Dhmosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 13:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Lake boat

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dhmosier.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 13:17   #3

Boat: Aloha 34

Hunter's are beautiful boats but if you're new to sailing I would recomend the Catalina as it would be more forgiving if (pronounced WHEN) you bump into slips and other less than forgiving things.....don't fall in love with the interior of the boat.....that will come back to bite you.......my thoughts anyway.....good luck !!!!!
Bolitho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 16:38   #4

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 351, 35'

Had a Hunter 260 on Kentucky Lake for 10 years. Great lake boat. With water ballast and a swing keel, it was tough to get in serious trouble. Easy and fun to sail.

It has an enclosed head, which is very popular with the ladies. You can easily find one with trailer, in good condition in your price range. Good Luck!!!
sailrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:52   #5

I was set on a Catalina 25, but after taking one for a test sail, decided a 27 was really worth the extra $$. The 25 was just a little too small for weekending. The 27 seemed much better. I would at least go aboard both the 25 and 27 before you buy.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 16:23   #6

Boat: Catalina 350
Re: Lake Boat

The Hunter 260 mentioned above would make a good lake boat. We have a Hunter 23.5 that my wife and I do a week at a time on. Also a decent lake boat, but it might be claustrophobic with 2 kids on board . The 260 is just enough larger to give you an enclosed head and some more space inside. Easily trailered and launched, though we keep ours in a slip most of the summer. Another boat to look at would be Seaward 25 or 26, if you could find a good deal on one.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote