Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2020, 08:29   #1

Boat: O'Day 19 (not Rhodes model), and Chrysler 26
Large Genoa and reefing in substantial winds?

I have an O'day 19 (not a mariner, not a 192). I blew out my jib and can't find a used replacement. What I do have is a large hank-on Genny, maybe a 155% which is great in light winds up to maybe 10 kts on the high side. My question is what would it be like to use the large genny in winds say to 16 kts if the main was reefed? Would that work? I think that the genny is a typical 5 oz dacron.
I am leery of getting out there an feeling very overpowered. That is why I am posting this question. I do have a downhaul set up to pull down the genny, though I don't know for sure how well it will work in strong winds.
Snowdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:42   #2

Re: Large Genoa and reefing in substantial winds?

It's only a wee little boat with a foretriangle of, what?, 80SqFt. Why not just bite the bullet and buy a new sail to replace the one that blew out?

I think that wearing your genny, and no main as you suggest, at even 12 knots of wind will give you a nasty case of lee helm. Not really a good solution.

If the jib blew out, you probably need to have a good look at your main too, just to make sure that it isn't ready to blow out on you also.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 09:25   #3

Boat: S2 9.1

It will depend a lot on the fullness of the hank on, if it is stretched out and baggy then you will get over powered sooner. You can always try it in moderate winds and see how it feels.

Good Luck
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 11:59   #4

The genny probably blew out from uv exposure. The main is always under a cover when not sailing. I am working on getting a flexible furler and new sails for next season. I don't want a new sail for just a month.
Old 28-08-2020, 12:27   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

It will probably be ok on a reach. As you try to push it higher, you'll be overpowered and you'll be heeling a lot. Off the wind, it will be sending you flying. IN my old 24' I used to reach home with a 150 and a single reef in the main in 15-20 kts and it was really a powerful and well balanced way to go.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 15:23   #6

Trentepieds,
I never said no main, I said reefed main. I assume that would be quite different
Old 28-08-2020, 15:35   #7

While we are talking about sails, I am looking to replace the current head sail with a CDI FF2 flexible furler for next season. I was thinking of having it with foam to hold shape better and using a 155% 5 lb dacron as my main sail, since I can reef it down depending on winds. Does that seem like a reasonable workable plan?
Old 29-08-2020, 10:25   #8

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog2 View Post
I have an O'day 19 (not a mariner, not a 192). I blew out my jib and can't find a used replacement. What I do have is a large hank-on Genny, maybe a 155% which is great in light winds up to maybe 10 kts on the high side. My question is what would it be like to use the large genny in winds say to 16 kts if the main was reefed? Would that work? I think that the genny is a typical 5 oz dacron.
I am leery of getting out there an feeling very overpowered. That is why I am posting this question. I do have a downhaul set up to pull down the genny, though I don't know for sure how well it will work in strong winds.

Reefing the main to first reef should not give you much lee helm. In fact it will reduce the overamount of weather helm that you get as the boat heels in 16 knots of wind. But 5 oz dacron or the seams may not stand up the 16 knots plus gusts, especially if it is well worn already.

Don't worry about getting overpowered. If so, simply drop that genny and sail in on the main. Be careful to stay on board the boat - wear a PFD going forward and sail with a competent buddy who knows man-overboard procedures until you are really experienced. You'll learn a lot by just doing!
Old 29-08-2020, 10:44   #9

I would buy a jib. get the dimensions that you need and find something. Check Minney's Yacht Surplus in Costa Mesa, CA, they have tons of sails for all different boats and very reasonable
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 12:37   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

I tend to agree with buying a new jib or maybe you can find a used one in a heavier cloth.

This description of making a headsail Reefable might be helpful.

https://www.riggingdoctor.com/life-a...adsail-reefing
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 18:15   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exctyengr View Post
I would buy a jib. get the dimensions that you need and find something. Check Minney's Yacht Surplus in Costa Mesa, CA, they have tons of sails for all different boats and very reasonable
I believe Minney's is only filling orders on an appointment basis now. Atlantic Sail Traders if FLA and Bacon Sails in MD are still in action though.
I have a hank-on reef-able jib and I just took in a big genoa I just got that was a bit too long in the luff so the sailmaker is putting in a kind of Cunningham for it. The only thing about making the sail reef-able is that it needs to be a heavy enough weight that it will be suited to reefing while not too heavy for lighter air when it is not reefed. For my smaller boat, trading the genoa for a jib is usually in winds and sea conditions that are still comfortable. Reducing the jib is going to be needed in less comfortable conditions, and once it is too windy for the reefed jib, I am probably either going to reach for some place calmer or just not go out. But that is my plan when coastal cruising in my smaller boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 19:01   #12

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog2 View Post
While we are talking about sails, I am looking to replace the current head sail with a CDI FF2 flexible furler for next season. I was thinking of having it with foam to hold shape better and using a 155% 5 lb dacron as my main sail, since I can reef it down depending on winds. Does that seem like a reasonable workable plan?
From past experience and friends feedback, a foam designed to keep the genoa shape in reefing doesn’t help much. Adding a flexible furler and foam on the existing sail may cost you even more than taking the sail to the sailmaker for adjusting it to the right size.
Old 30-08-2020, 05:36   #13

Boat: O’Day 40

Bacon Sails in Annapolis is still open & they might have something used. Good people, friendly & very helpful whatever your needs. They have an online calculator for pricing as well.
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Genoa, wind