Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2021, 18:58   #31

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: Largest trailer sale boat with diesel

I think planning to use a sling launch will open up the boats you can get and since you will be in a yard help stepping the mast will be available......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:56   #32

Boat: 1990 Island Packet 32

It's not the largest, but otherwise fits the OP's list of desired qualities: Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20.
Yanmar 1GM10 diesel. 3.4 draft. 6,000 lbs. Full keel. 6'2+ headroom. Enclosed head or port-a-potty, varies. Easily single-handed.
Cruise on!
Old 01-03-2021, 09:29   #33

Boat: Corsair 24, Creekmore 40

May not be in the budget, but a Presto 30 seems perfect.
Inboard Diesel, shallow draft, with trailer friendly beam and displacement. It has un-stayed carbon fiber masts which should be easy to put up and take down.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:53   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
With heart problems, I have sold my ketch, as a life at sea is not in my future. I am kinda looking for a trailer boat. I know very little if anything about them! I think I want the biggest and heaviest that a Dodge 3500 with a Cummings can pull, it's rated at 14,000 lbs. I want a inboard diesel. Most of the time I will be the only one on board. It will be in lakes, rivers, and the Gulf, wherever my vacation is (retired), south in winter and north in summer. Would like to be able to do the mast by myself. I don't know about draft, probably under 4.5' but I have not done a center board. I just need pointed to some names and sizes that fall into my, I think I want. A head would be nice so a lady wouldn't find the bathroom arrangement a putoff for a weeks adventure.
Depending on your needs, wants and desires, if viable, I suggest wherever you are based to be able to dry store the boat you buy on it's trailer with the mast up. Then if the dry storage location you use has a tractor and lift, or tractor to launch using their ramp the eliminates a lot of hassle and means you will do a lot more sailing.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:12   #35

Boat: Imexus 28

I have the yacht that has everything he wants but unless a bargain should happen along they are rare and pricey. My yacht is an Imexus 28 power sailer with huge inboard diesel capable of planing at over 20 knots fully loaded for extended cruising. Usually with a 140 hp inboard mine has an outrageous 180hp Yanmar ( not my doing) and has reached 30 knots empty. Standing headroom just ( I am 6 foot 2) enclosed shower toilet compartment, no world beater sailing upwind in a stiff chop but a very acceptable sailing cruiser at all other times as a hybrid sailing boat. It has a superb integrated one man mast raising system, water basalt for lighter tow but still over 6000lbs on trailer being a pretty big beast. It draws around 1 foot centreboard and rudders up and will dry out flat for those in high tidal range areas. The big diesel means a huge alternator, heat exchanger hot water and it is still pretty economical in displacement mode around 5 knots at 2-3 litres per hour but gets through it at WOT! At around 8 foot wide it also legally tows just about anywhere. Just an unconventional thought!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37E8D09F-7E42-4018-B0CF-1778F1431DD6.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	233610  
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 13:04   #36

Boat: 1987, O'Day 272
Send a message via Skype™ to davidbe

The 272 O'Day sound perfect for you.
davidbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 15:39   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonilla View Post
Ericson 28 I launch an Ericson 28 1985, from a trailer...one man...no problems...it's for sale..only draws 3 feet or so...
I saw a chap load an Ericsson 28 onto a trailer at a slipway when I was doing the same with my Wayfarer. He looked so skilled that I asked him how often he did that. He said once or twice a year, as he kept the boat at a marina for the season. He was out of the water single-handed as fast as I was, but when I pulled away, he was still messing about with his mast.
Old 01-03-2021, 18:00   #38

Boat: Spacesailer 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack C View Post
With heart problems I would look at the easiest boat to launch and rig, especially by yourself. Also a boat light enough so that you can push off a dock.

For me this translates into a Macgregor. Probably a 26x or 26m. They have decent heads with a door. My mentor Ed, whose was then in his seventies could rig and launch and sail his Mac26x alone.

Why drag a heavy boat just because you have a truck with high capacity? Why have a diesel engine?

Center board and water ballast and a 40HP outboard and built in floatation. Its good for safety and health especially with a heart condition.
The Mac is not a a classic yacht but it does what you need very well. The easiest of all. A big ballasted trailer-sailer is a lot more hassle than the equivalent keelboat.

I had a trailer-sailer with a fully ballasted lead keel and it was great, but even at 18ft-6in was a lot of hassle to get going, especially single handed. The Mac is definitely the easiest with light weight and water ballast.

In the end I have gone back to a small 24ft keelboat with standing headroom and a diesel. Easy to handle, good size cockpit, cabin with enclosed head, and table for 4. All you need. Costs not much, and in the end I am using it far more than the trailer-sailer.
Kudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:51   #39

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
I think I want the biggest and heaviest that a Dodge 3500 with a Cummings can pull, it's rated at 14,000 lbs. I want a inboard diesel.
Most of the time I will be the only one on board. It will be in lakes, rivers, and the Gulf, wherever my vacation is (retired), south in winter and north in summer.
I have a friend who trailers his boat north to the US during the hot summers. He launches here in San Carlos and spends winter and spring on the Sea of Cortez. When we cross to the Baja side, we find him in cozy anchorages. He usually crosses the 80 miles during a full moon and so makes landfall before noon. It's a great place for a "snowbird" cruiser.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:50   #40

Boat: Catalina 350

We have a Seaward 25 and it would be a good choice for what you want to do. The shallow wing keel was specifically designed for shallow Fl. waters. The 26RK, with its retractable keel would be good too, though prices for the 26 rk are about double what you can find a 25 for. Either one has a separate head compartment and can come with a diesel inboard. No problem trailer launching it with your truck.

We are doing a similar retirement scenario, though our big boat (Catalina 350) is up on the Great Lakes (Erie), and the Seaward is down in SC with us. We spend a lot of the summer cruising up in the Great Lakes. We would prefer to have the boat on Huron rather than Erie, as we head up to Huron and Michigan in the summer, but Michigan is too far of a drive from our cabin in Central NY, where we're based when up north.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:23   #41

Boat: Hake 32RK

Seaward 32 RK formerly made by Hake in Stewart Fl but now owned by Island Packet. They also make a 26 RK--RK mean raising keel. Both have electrical vertically retracting keels, draw under 18 in and are trailerable. Mast can be un-stepped or re-stepped by one person and rig rides on top of boat when trailered with no height issues.
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, diesel, sale, trailer