Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 12:50   #46

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Learning During the Selling Process

G'Day all,

Here's a "learning while selling" story:

A few years back when we had already purchased Insatiable II we got serious about selling I-one. I spent a couple of weeks tarting her up, placed all the appropriate ads and waited for the buyers to flock in waving money at me.

A fair number of lookers, one who would have bought the boat but lacked adequate financing, no real action. We wanted to go offshore in the new toy, so reluctantly placed I-one in the hands of a broker we knew. He said "ya know, I think the lack of response was your price point... it's so low for a boat like this people think there's something wrong with it". " Hmmm... oh, ok, I guess I would take more, so go for it", I said. So he bumped the listing from 95K (my price) to 125K (his price). Off we went to New Caledonia. A couple of months pass, and I received an e-mail from him : "Jim, we're not getting any action on your boat. I think that you are asking too much for her".

Well, she finally sold 18 months after my initial efforts, for 87K, and I was damn glad to get it.

I don't think the broker was dishonest or really misleading, but it surely was a lesson for me. 18 months of marina fees and grudging upkeep on my part were a real drag. A dose of fiscal reality early on would have been a better idea IMO.

I have no intention of selling I-2 until I'm taken off in a pine box or wrapped in my hammock and tipped over the side (hope against hope), so maybe I'll never have to make this sort of decision again!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 03-06-2011, 09:35   #47

Re: Learning During the Selling Process

Yeah, when I sold my Hans Christian 38 (pictured at left) every one listed was $135k or so...yet they never seemed to sell. Mine was listed for that on the broker's advice and was on the market about 18 months also and sold for $90k (pre-recession)
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote