Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2015, 13:12   #1

Boat: Newport 28
Learning more on the cheap and making new friends in the process

Okay, I got my first cruiser recently. I started small and cheap(so I thought it would be anyway) so I could gradually learn more about...well, cruising, before I jumped in with both feet and got something bigger. Maintaining the boat, upgrades, rigging modifications, general seamanship, ect.(I already knew how to sail small daysailers)

One small problem:
It seems as if I have gotten the sailing part down, but that's where I'm stuck at. Quite frankly the boat is substantially easier to sail than my laser or beachcat I learned on, so when you take that into account I have really learned next to nothing since buying the cruiser back in November.

How does one who works a full time job go about learning more without spending an arm and a leg? Sure I could join the yacht club or pay for private lessons, but I would have to get rid of my boat to afford all that!

I have already read a few books, but it would seem hands on with other experienced people is the best way to learn. Especially when it's boat specific stuff.

I think what I need to do is meet some people who share my passion for sailing. I thought I would get that in the marina, but it seems like most of the people in the marina I'm at are simply living aboard and not leaving the dock, or motor boating.

How do i go about finding more people to meet and go sailing with?
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, learning