Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2021, 06:42   #16

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i
Re: Least expensive NEW 28-34 foot bluewater cruisers

What does the word “Blue water” mean to you. Most people talk up the term, it is a big catch frase in the selling/ buying of vessels industry. I believe they think they gain a sense of power when they use it. “Blue water cruising” is something few in the sailing community do. Not sure of your experience level, buying a tank does not make you a soldier, or for that matter a tank commander. Buying new will not mean your vessel is maintenance free, especially off shore.
There is a common dream of sailing “around the world” this vision is unique to each individual. Most who have this dream have never be humbled by the majesty of nature in a marine environment when there is a real possibility they are very close to never seeing land again. I have but that does not make me a “blue water sailor”, in fact I would argue that that is precisely the point that I realized I was not��, it’s one thing when you have nothing to live for, it is completely different when you live a fortunate life. I enjoy coastal cruising, I can live with that label.
I respectfully submit “blue water” is not a type of boat but a type of sailor. Get the best vessel you can for your money, the one that is right for every day you, get out sailing, don’t get caught up in the “tuff talk”, experience the joy of sailing leave the ego banter for others
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:03   #17

I was gonna say if only they made a modern version of a Tartan 34c....that's about as close as you can get. Lovely boat.
Chris8120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 18:55   #18

Boat: Dickerson 36 Center Cockpit Ketch

When I was boat shopping, and looking at all the arguments about what is and isn't a blue water boat, I asked an insurance company representative, "What is the smallest sized bout you will insure for an ocean crossing?" The answer I got back was "35 feet." At the time, I was considering a Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus, which is 34.5" - barely too short by their standards. So I asked the follow up question specifically about whether the would consider a Rasmus. The answer I got back was along the lines, "Hallberg-Rassy? We could probably do that."

However, consider that if you do get a new boat in the 28-34 foot range, you may have difficulty insuring it for ocean crossings. If you are looking at new boats, I'm guessing you would want to insure it?
Somedayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 22:24   #19

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

Big bucks to insure any boat for offshore passages in international waters. On the other hand, if the OP really thinks he wants an “brand new” 34ft “blue water“ (whatever that means) boat, he’s probably got deep pockets and can afford to insure his $400,000 dream boat.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 23:29   #20

Boat: Catalina Morgan 44CC

Island Packet
shmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:08   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartPatton View Post
Hey everyone, first thread here, been reading for quite a while.

Apologies if this has been discussed, I couldn't find any relevant threads (and this is a bit hard to search for).

So, let's say a person gets the notion to cruise around the world solo, and they like the usual sorts of boats people do that sort of thing in (e.g., Southern Cross 28, Contessa 32, Alberg 30, etc. etc.), but also they like the idea of everything being brand spanking new. What sort of options are out there?

Appreciate your insights. Thanks.
I learned that anything below 40ft is NOT a bluewater cruiser. A 28-34ft boat can't manage save passages (and is everything but comfortable).
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:21   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk01 View Post
I learned that anything below 40ft is NOT a bluewater cruiser. A 28-34ft boat can't manage save passages (and is everything but comfortable).
Can't help but wonder where you learned this interesting "fact"?

And I imagine that the dozens, possibly hundreds of folks who have made major voyages in boats of this size are equally curious.

I've personally made the SF/Hawaii/SF passages in a 30 foot production racer/cruiser, and have friends who have circumnavigated in a Cal 27-2, and other friends who did Oz/Canada/Mexico/Yellow Brick road back to Oz in a 24 foot Top Hat... and on and on and on.

Please justify your assertation in face of such verified voyages.

Jim
Old 12-01-2021, 07:37   #23

I would recommend you look for USED Bluewater Pocketcruisers and avoid new boats.

BAYFIELD 29 seems like a very comfortable design and great craftsmanship.
I saw a COLUMBIA 29 mkii in SEATTLE today for $3500. That is good enough for me!

BAYFIELD 29 is cheap cause it's Canadian so you save $$$ in the exchange and lesser known name. Good reviews for them.
DK2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 06:57   #24

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

You can investigate a Cal 29 or Cal 2-29 of 1970s vintage. I had a 1976 Cal 2-29 and still think it is the best boat I have owned. It is very well built and sails well. It has 6' headroom. Many Cals have crossed the ocean. There were 2 for sale last year for about $5000. If you can get one at that price you could forego insurance. It is a good size for 1 person to handle.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 07:09   #25

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

I own a beautiful 1987 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34. By far the most seaworthy boat I’ve ever had the pleasure to sail. I sail her single handed. I love the cutter rig and the compromise of the long fin keel with a sturdy and well protected skeg hung rudder. (Compromise between fin keel/spade rudder and full keel.). The boat passed its purchase survey with flying colors and I’ve had zero major issues since I bought her. I did convert her back to tiller steering which was an interesting project, but has vastly improved the boat and the livability of its fairly small cockpit. What questions I’ve had have been efficiently answered by “Thumper”, the P.S. factory customer support person. They are commonly available on the used market, and there are smaller and larger Pacific Seacraft models too. Whatever floats your boat, as they say.
BoatBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 07:23   #26

Boat: Maxi87 29' sailboat

As a dane, I have to mention Svend Billesbølle.

He circumnavigated two times.
First time in a Leisure 23'.
Second time in a Lynæs 18'.
He did NOT have any ocean going skills, he was an automechanic, retired due to a work-related injured spine.
He just had an urge to explore the world.

So, size does not matter, it is HOW you want to do it.
Svend didn't care, he just did it.
He died at the age of 89 in 2013.

He wrote a few books of his voyages (in danish), but I'm not sure that they have been translated, as he was generally a VERY low budget guy.

As the owner of a Leisure 22 at the time that he went around the world, Svend has been a huge inspiration for my own development in sailing, so I feel VERY "blue water" confident in my rock solid 29' Maxi 87 from 1976 :-)

@ OP : Start out low, and build your way up.
If you have too much money, then let the hired crew on your brand new luxury yacht take care of the rest for you, and enjoy the voyage. Expect lots of delays, if YOU do not know your boat intimately.

New boat ? No.
Everything new can have flaws.
That's why it comes with 1-2 years of warranty.
You don't want flaws poppin' up on your ocean trip !
That's why "blue water" cruisers buy used and (proven) boats. Period.
carstendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 12:15   #27

New is over rated. If new, you still have a punch list for a year. Unless you have docking restrictions, I saw this on another sight, looks interesting, especially the price!

https://boatsforsalebyowners.net/108690

Good luck!
captainmarknc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 13:39   #28

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk01 View Post
We have done thousands of ocean miles in our 1972 32ft yacht. Previous owners had done over 35000 ocean racing miles, including a Sydney to Hobart. Lyn and Larry Pardy completed many thousands of ocean miles in under 40 ft yachts.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 16:21   #29

Boat: Cape Dory 28; Cape Dory 30B

Cape Dorys (Carl Alberg designed boat) are still available under the Robinhood name. My understanding is that they still have the Cape Dory molds and can make them up to 44 feet plus. Talking about serious money compares to a used one in excellent condition.

V/r

Pete
psjanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 06:29   #30

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

This is really a total cost of ownership question. Cost of the vessel is more a function of displacement than length. Cost of ownership is a function of simplicity.

I had a J-28 for about ten years and it was a beautiful sailing vessel, inexpensive to own, and rugged. Just my two cents about a boat. Can't argue with the other suggestions, just commenting on one example of a good small sailboat.

The OP should probably get over to the library and check out titles by Lin and Larry Pardy. They went a long way in some pretty small boats!
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, water