Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2021, 15:27   #91

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht
Re: Leaving Air Conditioner running on when not at boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post
Visual inspection is big. I periodically remove and re-bed/re-seal everything. How disassembly goes will tell you a lot about the state. Once bought a boat with original thru hulls. They didn’t look too terrible. Went to remove the nut to remove them and the nut broke into pieces.

Timeline as well. If it’s been 10 years in salt water, they’re probably getting to be about due.

Use quality hose. Marine rated. I like Trident. Also HIGH QUALITY CLAMPS. Double clamp.
Thank you.
Appreciate your feedback.
Love the sensibility and practical advice.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 16:24   #92
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

The best maintenance for thru hulls is to have none. Impossible on some boats I know.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 16:33   #93

Also, routinely open and close your cocks (giggity). Motion is good. Lubricate if your valve has a zerk—make sure it’s at least partially open when you do so.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 16:42   #94

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Also, routinely open and close your cocks (giggity). Motion is good. Lubricate if your valve has a zerk—make sure it’s at least partially open when you do so.

I think you’re missing a second giggity in there!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 18:50   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The best maintenance for thru hulls is to have none. Impossible on some boats I know.
Yip.
However, my need for some gadgetry overrides my fear for thru hulls 😄
Old 25-06-2021, 18:55   #96

Quote:
Well there you go with more good advice. I thought I should rather not touch those leverage things and avoid them as far as possible. Make sense to open and close them from time to time. Having a leaking seacock upline somewhere and then the damn thing won't close, would defeat its purpose.
Old 25-06-2021, 22:13   #97

Boat: In Anaheim: 24'Thunderbird Formula 380 hp, In Subic Bay: Polaris Flying Boat

My contribution to this dialog is somewhat relevant because of the mold and corrosion problems associated with high humidity and temperature. My house in Subic Bay is on a hill, but does get moist ocean breezes. I have 11 split system inverter a/c units, of which I mostly run only one or two continuously, mainly to lower the humidity and avoid mold in the house. A few years ago i had a rather incompetent housekeeper who did not follow my instructions to keep at least one unit running. When I returned after a few months absence, all of the furniture and leather upholstery throughout the house had gray mold, which took some drastic measures to eliminate. I also regularly am replacing wiring inside and outside the house because of failing power. When cutting the wires, the original stranded copper has completely turned into green powder.... Ah, the joys of living in the tropical rain forest...
Now, if we are going to rant about the boaters use of a/c for comfort and asset protection, what about looking at the thousands of long distance truckers running their big diesels for hours on end to power their a/c while parked at truck stops all over the country ??? Or mostly empty buses, trains and other public transport? Or the junior high school across the street from my other home in Anaheim, California, where I can hear the a/c units running 24 hours a day all weekend long when not a living soul has been there since covid started....
Actually, do we really need to burden ourselves with another guilt trip, don't we have enough of those already? Let us consider how lucky we are to be able to enjoy our time on the water and not lose perspective of how small our peccadillos really are in the grand scheme of things.....
Harmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 23:20   #98

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmen View Post
Now, if we are going to rant about the boaters use of a/c for comfort and asset protection, what about looking at the thousands of long distance truckers running their big diesels for hours on end to power their a/c while parked at truck stops all over the country ??? Or mostly empty buses, trains and other public transport? Or the junior high school across the street from my other home in Anaheim, California, where I can hear the a/c units running 24 hours a day all weekend long when not a living soul has been there since covid started....
since 2 wrongs doesn't make a right, your argument is invalid.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 23:22   #99

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDays View Post
I admit to leaving mine running unattended, with the thermostat set as high as it will go. In a Texas summer, the boat can get well over 100F inside when all closed up.
Why would you leave your boat "all closed up" ?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 00:29   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Wonder how many of the folks here who are worried about this keep their clothes washer hose pressurized when they leave the house - a far greater risk, both statistically and financially.
I always switch off pressure water to washing machines in my land homes when not there. Dishwashers too. Just like I shut sea cocks every time I leave the boat. But then again I paid around €10k once for the lesson about shutting off water to the washing machine..

Just this year I incurred damage in one of my apartments from a neighbor above, who didn't know about this. Now he does.

Any of you who, like Bismarck, prefer to learn from the expensive mistakes of others, rather than from your own expensive mistakes, take note.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 00:38   #101

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36

I cannot see the point of leaving the AC on. Use a dehumidifier with a timer, in the galley sink, to keep the boat dry.
Kiwicrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 03:58   #102

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
Why would you leave your boat "all closed up" ?

Do you propose to leave the Hatches open to allow the elements aboard while away at work for a week to pay for the boat?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 11:53   #103

Boat: Shannon 52 RDP

This is very much a religious question, but my two cents. Assuming, you are maintaining your through hulls, replacing hoses as needed, all connections are double clamped with high quality clamps, and your bilge pumps are also maintained and working properly, I'd leave it running. I used to be in the other camp, but I've come to believe the incremental damage to the interior, especially fabrics from heat and humidity outweigh the risks. If your boat is very dry and has little in the way of wood, and fabric, you may come to a different conclusion. Regardless, I would not leave a boat completely unattended for a long period. We recently left our boat in Ft. Lauderdale for 8 weeks. We were referred to a young man who checked the boat weekly, cleaned the filters, monitored the bilge cycles, and sprayed off the bird excrement for the sum of $50 per week. When we returned the boat was just like we left it and ready to go. Shannon 52 RDP
R Hutcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 08:44   #104

Boat: dreaming of a Mac 65

And it’s not just the virtue signaling, since it is not a virtue to denounce modern life. It’s actually the hate of the good because it is good.
rsementi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 10:22   #105

Boat: Sundeer 64' ketch

The question- either good ventilation , insulation, and a dehumidifier as already suggested. Condensate Drain needs to go overboard or couldgointo the galley sink. I also consider an electrical issue if I’m gone for a day or more.
And the big one- would insurance deny coverage.?
Nibiruwayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat