Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2022, 20:31   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Leaving Code Zero Up

I have a code zero sail (not a true racing cut though) that I’d like to use more often but the time it takes to set up usually means we go out for the day with our stock genoa. Problem is, we are generally light winds and having that for upwind/downwind sailing would be very nice compared to the 110% genoa we have. If I were to have a UV cover stitched into it, would I be fine leaving it up most of the time? In San Diego, we don’t have many storms or strong winds but would ultimately like to use it more than say 5-10 times I have used it for a day in the last year.

The other option that I have been discussing with a local sailmaker is a J-0. I don’t have specs on it yet but it sounds like a larger genoa off of my bow spirit going to my same frictionless rings of my genoa. This would give a higher thickness cloth to keep up full time but just seems like it would be fairly similar to my current code. Any suggestions? Unfortunately, the layout of my rig means that I can’t really have much bigger of a standard genoa, just the ability to add in vertical battens for maybe 10% more sail area.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 21:42   #2

Re: Leaving Code Zero Up

I don’t think it is that unusual to have a UV protection strip sewn in for use as you describe. I’ve seen more than a few cruisers and cats with them.

When I originally picked up my 38 a few years ago, I had planned on adding some sort of Code sail or Asym based on my past years sailing out of SD. Ironically, I don’t know if it’s just luck, but it seems like I’ve had decent winds so many days, and haven’t been wishing I had something more. We’ve had so many nice days of 10 - 12k/G-18 that my 105 Jib and large battened main has been all she needed.

My dream sail is a magical bit of cloth that will cover everything from 60° - 180°/4-15k on a never-fail top down furler!!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:59   #3

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

We have a uv strip on our 0 .but as we use an continuous line furler we never leave it up unattended
Old 01-11-2022, 04:20   #4

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Another option is to have a UV sock with zipper that hauls up over the furled sail, that way you do not affect the light wind efficiency of the leech of the sail and also will prevent it unraveling in a storm.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Another option is to have a UV sock with zipper that hauls up over the furled sail, that way you do not affect the light wind efficiency of the leech of the sail and also will prevent it unraveling in a storm.
Thought about this but how do you put it up? Use the main halyard since the spinnaker one is already taken with this sail?
Old 01-11-2022, 05:08   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Have the code 0 need a bigger boat with a sail locker. My code 0 is under the port seat in the cockpit. It’s a pain but great when in use.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:14   #7

Boat: Tayana 37

The solution would be to install an additional block at the top of the mast. Not a big deal if you own any one of the myriad ways available to climb up there.
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 13:52   #8

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

I ran the Code O on a rope furler , worked well . Sadly , because I used it so often , blew it up ! Now running a light Ghoster in dacron to the same furler. Downside is the need for small diameter furling line ( I run to Co'pit ) to avoid drum becoming choked.Dyneema works.
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 14:46   #9

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Thought about this but how do you put it up? Use the main halyard since the spinnaker one is already taken with this sail?
Some boats, like mine have 2 spin halyards.
Old 01-11-2022, 17:02   #10

I’m being proposed a J-0 that’s approximately 386 square ft to use. Would mean I’d need some new jammers though but can use my current code zero drum. For context, my current jib is 265 square feet and code zero is 470 square feet. Would this provide a noticeable difference between my jib and would it be worth it to use the code zero instead with the UV strip?
Old 01-11-2022, 18:54   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Fwiw, it is possible to make a sock, with a zip, to hoist over the whole code 0 sail, zipping as it goes aloft. Some friends of ours had one to cover another furled sail. Do use a dark Sunbrella fabric (which has greater UV absorption than the lighter colors), and do sew it with ptfe thread (or have it sewn).

Ann
Old 01-11-2022, 20:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Fwiw, it is possible to make a sock, with a zip, to hoist over the whole code 0 sail, zipping as it goes aloft. Some friends of ours had one to cover another furled sail. Do use a dark Sunbrella fabric (which has greater UV absorption than the lighter colors), and do sew it with ptfe thread (or have it sewn).

Ann
I’d be taking it likely to Ulman sails to have the UV added if I go that route.
Old 02-11-2022, 15:44   #13

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
I’m being proposed a J-0 that’s approximately 386 square ft to use. Would mean I’d need some new jammers though but can use my current code zero drum. For context, my current jib is 265 square feet and code zero is 470 square feet. Would this provide a noticeable difference between my jib and would it be worth it to use the code zero instead with the UV strip?
I have spent a fair amount of thought on this subject recently. To me the critical question is to determine the apparent wind angles and wind speeds you want to use your other than jib sail in. I suspect the J0 will be great on a loose reach in light air, but not at its best deep down wind. Talk this through with your sailmaker. The code zero might be better at deeper downwind angles.

“Better” is of course a value judgement. Either sail might be fine down wind if it is what you got. To my way of thinking having a sail that hoists and furls easily will get used much more often than a great sail that is a pain to set up and must be removed from the deck.

I would probably put the UV strip on the code zero, then reevaluate.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:13   #14

Boat: Outremer 55L

We (on a 55’ cat) have a gennaker (also known as a screecher) that is ideal for 50* - 110* AWA in light to moderate winds. It’s flat enough that even though it sheets outside our shrouds we can trim it up to 40* AWA as the sheeting angle from bow pole to stern quarter is about 7*. However, it’s so big that at 40* AWA our speed means that the TWA is 75-80*. Not so good for going upwind. And it’s a little flat with not much roach nor luff round for broad reaching in light wind. It is 330% of the size of our jib (120 sqft vs 36 sqft).

A code 0 would be similar in size and performance window, though a bit fatter and optimised for 55* - 120* AWA.

For upwind in light winds (we have a self-tacking jib that doesn’t provide full power until 9 kts TWS) we really could use a J0 sail: about 200% jib size and sheeted inside the shrouds to the cabin top. That would be trimmed to 28* AWA and provide light air power for upwind - rather like a larger than usual genoa. But it wouldn’t be much use past 70* AWA or so.

An asymmetric top down furling would have a range 80* - 150* AWA and suitable right down to 180*. We have a symmetric spinnaker which works from 90*-180* AWA.

The number of sails starts adding up, so as long as you’re happy with you light upwind performance then skip the J0 and go with just a gennaker or code 0 and a fat asymmetric or symmetric spinnaker for deeper angles.

Regarding UV strips, if you want a sail that will perform in <7 knots AWS then go without - otherwise the leech will be too heavy. Our gennaker does have a UV strip and the leech folds in on itself in light air. I’ve heard of painted UV strips, but that doesn’t last very long and seriously stiffens the leech. A pull over zipped cover will work as well but will be a bit of a pain to put on and to take off.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:52   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
I have spent a fair amount of thought on this subject recently. To me the critical question is to determine the apparent wind angles and wind speeds you want to use your other than jib sail in. I suspect the J0 will be great on a loose reach in light air, but not at its best deep down wind. Talk this through with your sailmaker. The code zero might be better at deeper downwind angles.

“Better” is of course a value judgement. Either sail might be fine down wind if it is what you got. To my way of thinking having a sail that hoists and furls easily will get used much more often than a great sail that is a pain to set up and must be removed from the deck.

I would probably put the UV strip on the code zero, then reevaluate.
I’m talking to my sail maker on adding the UV strip. Fxykty below brings up my concern with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
We (on a 55’ cat) have a gennaker (also known as a screecher) that is ideal for 50* - 110* AWA in light to moderate winds. It’s flat enough that even though it sheets outside our shrouds we can trim it up to 40* AWA as the sheeting angle from bow pole to stern quarter is about 7*. However, it’s so big that at 40* AWA our speed means that the TWA is 75-80*. Not so good for going upwind. And it’s a little flat with not much roach nor luff round for broad reaching in light wind. It is 330% of the size of our jib (120 sqft vs 36 sqft).

A code 0 would be similar in size and performance window, though a bit fatter and optimised for 55* - 120* AWA.

For upwind in light winds (we have a self-tacking jib that doesn’t provide full power until 9 kts TWS) we really could use a J0 sail: about 200% jib size and sheeted inside the shrouds to the cabin top. That would be trimmed to 28* AWA and provide light air power for upwind - rather like a larger than usual genoa. But it wouldn’t be much use past 70* AWA or so.

An asymmetric top down furling would have a range 80* - 150* AWA and suitable right down to 180*. We have a symmetric spinnaker which works from 90*-180* AWA.

The number of sails starts adding up, so as long as you’re happy with you light upwind performance then skip the J0 and go with just a gennaker or code 0 and a fat asymmetric or symmetric spinnaker for deeper angles.

Regarding UV strips, if you want a sail that will perform in <7 knots AWS then go without - otherwise the leech will be too heavy. Our gennaker does have a UV strip and the leech folds in on itself in light air. I’ve heard of painted UV strips, but that doesn’t last very long and seriously stiffens the leech. A pull over zipped cover will work as well but will be a bit of a pain to put on and to take off.
This was somewhat my concern. We have a lot of 5-8 knot winds so don’t want to royaly mess up this sail by adding an UV strip but, that said, it may be better to add it so I will use the sail more than without. Has to be better than the 1105 genoa I would use otherwise (I would hope).

Tags
code zero