Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2011, 10:47   #1

Boat: Starcraft Seaflite 12.5 ft cat boat
Leeward Push

I recently bought an early 70's model Starcraft Seaflite 12.5 ft cat boat. It is very fun to sail in a fresh breeze and very forgiving/stable for a beginner. My only concern is that in a light breeze it gives way to leeward alot.....like slow motion breakwall doom in a jar of honey. I'm guessing that this happens because there isnt enough water moving over the centerboard quickly enough to counter getting blown to leeward. My question is....is there anything that can be done to help resolve the issue....or lessen it? I want to learn the right way and be a skilled sailor....the old if you are gonna do it you might as well do it right thing. Maybe its supposed to happen and I just dont know it. The hull is fiberglass tunnel hull. Thanks in advance for the comments
sgtroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 10:56   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Leeward push

My first thought is trim. I would think that you are sheeting the mainsail in too much for your heading. "When in doubt, let it out". It's likely that this will lessen your leeway and improve your performance.
Old 13-08-2011, 11:05   #3

Boat: Starcraft Seaflite 12.5 ft cat boat
Re: Leeward push

That is quite possible...I was leaving the harbor pretty close hauled. Thanks for the heads up.
sgtroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 11:13   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
Watch true to apparent wind. The prior advice is right your probably sheeted to hard. In multis the effect is exaggerated but in light air you would see the wid direction looking higher then it really is. I forget this sometimes as wind comes around and I'm sailing well nut a glance over the side shows I'm going side ways. I was more aware constantly aware when sailing a multi tend to let guard down in the mono.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote