Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2015, 14:45   #16

Re: Less is More, Large cruisers not designed to sleep 18 of your closest friends

maybe the problem is that you don't need a big boat for a few people!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 16:31   #17

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Less is More, Large cruisers not designed to sleep 18 of your closest friends

Deerfoot 50. Great shorthanded boat.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 17:41   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Amel
(Recent Models are called: "54," "Super Maramu 2000,") These are all about 53 feet long or longer (54ft).

Deerfoot (Dashew designed boats)

Antares 44i (luxury catamaran designed for a couple)

All of the above are higher priced than average sailboats (most production boats).

For example the Antares 44i may be $750K or more.

The latest Amel 54 may be $1Million or more.

Other boats to view:

Gozzard

Boreal 44
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 20:27   #19

Boat: Pearson 36-2

Thank you all for the feedback!

Amels are definitely nice and I have seen how the super maramou can accommodate quite large crews on S/V Delos. I also appreciate the idea of repurposing cabins but Id prefer the existing cabins were much larger from the get go.

Its an interesting observation that the big boats built to comfortably accommodate smaller crews are the high dollar ones. I definitely get excited about oysters but they are fairly pricey!
SailCarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 22:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCarpeDiem View Post

Amels are definitely nice and I have seen how the super maramou can accommodate quite large crews on S/V Delos. I also appreciate the idea of repurposing cabins but Id prefer the existing cabins were much larger from the get go.

Its an interesting observation that the big boats built to comfortably accommodate smaller crews are the high dollar ones. I definitely get excited about oysters but they are fairly pricey!
The cheaper yachts are also built for less, but you have to wade through the many charter versions that will be outnumbering the owners version in the market place.

You could always buy a 4x4 and take it to a shipyard to convert it to a 3 cabin. That should be relatively easy if it was designed for a 3 cabin version as well. Then you will end up with 3 cabins & 3 heads. You could then repurpose one on the heads as a laundry/wetroom. But that is perhaps only viable if you find a bargain, otherwise search a bit more for an original owners version.
Old 21-07-2015, 23:50   #21

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

The same is also true with a tad smaller sail boats. That's the main reason why I went through one-off route (still building..). One cabin for a couple, two sea berths, separate head and shower which triples as a wet locker and a sauna. A pilot house with a nav table and a work bench. Dinghy bay under the sugar coop stern...
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 00:09   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCarpeDiem View Post

Our boat is like a floating apartment with laundry, watermaker, generator etc., so we can be comfortable for the six months we spend at various anchorages through the Med.

Buy something with comfort in mind, you'll never regret it. Here's a picture of todays view off the stern deck in Le Grazie, Northern Italy. We'll be meeting up with Charlie from CF here on Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	105814  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 03:04   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
The same is also true with a tad smaller sail boats. That's the main reason why I went through one-off route (still building..). One cabin for a couple, two sea berths, separate head and shower which triples as a wet locker and a sauna. A pilot house with a nav table and a work bench. Dinghy bay under the sugar coop stern...
My production boat comes with a sauna as standard

Old 22-07-2015, 08:41   #24

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

You can get a 2010-2011 charter Beneteau or Jeaneau 50 something for a good price since the owner is facing docking fees and what to do with a boat withdrawn from the charter fleet. Then you can have them convert the dual bow cabin to a huge single with a king bed in it!!!. That's what I did two years ago and I have been cruising with family and friends all over the Carrib in my 51.4 Beneteau.
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 08:43   #25

Boat: Gulfstar 50

It reminds me of what my father used to say. Whenever he was asked how many people his 48' Tollycraft would sleep, his reply was " 2 VERY comfortably"
Mojadito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 09:33   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
The best cruising boat layout drinks 6 feeds 4 and sleeps 2.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 09:49   #27

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We searched pretty intensively for 5 years (couch searching; Yachtworld, etc. with trips to boats that seemed interesting). I found that older boats (pre-2000 and one off's) met our criteria which was more room, less berths. I think the demand for charter boats circa 2000 and forward trickled into the entire market and production boats reflected that ("sleeps 25"). Amels, Oysters, et al met our space criteria but not our budget. We have berths for 7 but have converted the bow cabin into office, parts warehouse and generally "the attic" stuff. Still have plenty of room for guests and crew.

Hope this helps. If you don't mind older that may be the way to go.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 12:49   #28

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Our boat is like a floating apartment with laundry, watermaker, generator etc., so we can be comfortable for the six months we spend at various anchorages through the Med.

Buy something with comfort in mind, you'll never regret it. Here's a picture of todays view off the stern deck in Le Grazie, Northern Italy. We'll be meeting up with Charlie from CF here on Friday.

I agree with this recommendation. Make sure you have the time to maintain and use the comfort-convenience equipment though, including loading the generator, exercising the bow thruster, HF rig and tuner, windlass, inverter-charger, and work all the through hulls routinely, & checking their bonding wires.

Our water maker is still pickled, and with 240 gallons fresh water, sailing on the Chesapeake, I don't need it.
The washer dryer has a leaking water pump seal, from non use of the PO.

We wanted something larger than a Taswell 43 (too cramped for our last boat) and would have preferred a two cabin 46 or 47 version, but Taswell only made them in 43-49-56 lengths. At 39,00 lbs on the slings it is heavy, but it actually easy to maneuver in close spaces. Its the haul/store/slip and bottom paint material and labor that will get your attention though.

And at this level of investment, get a reference anode so you can make sure your galvanic protection is at the correct level and effective.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 02:00   #29

Boat: Outbound 46

An Outbound 46 might meet your needs. We have cruised ours for five years in the Caribbean, and have found her to work extremely well for a couple with occasional guests. She has two staterooms. The forward one is luxurious, the aft berth is a bit tight but fine for guests for a week or two. If you make them too comfortable, they are apt to stay too long! A unique feature is the "Garage." Instead of a second aft stateroom, we have a large workroom. We have a washer/dryer installed there, as well as our watermaker, and lots of storage for tools and spares. All easy to get to, and much more useful than another berth.

Outbound Yachts - Offshore Performance / Liveaboard Comfort

David
s/v Callisto
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 14:00   #30

Boat: Island Packet 445

Have a look at the Island Packets. We have an IP445 which is extremely roomy for 2 of us but easily sleeps 4 comfortably and 6 if you want people in the salon. The boat has been replaced by the IP465 which is the identical boat from the stern lazarette forward but they took away the scoop transom and added 2' to the lazarette. Here's a drawing of the interior.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IP465_Interior.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	106919
luciarose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser