Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Should political ads be shown on this website?
Never 101 81.45%
They're OK 18 14.52%
Only if it's my candidate 5 4.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2019, 12:06   #76

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft
Re: Let's keep politics off the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivalo View Post
Presently they aren't doing much nefarious with the info, just showing you ads for stuff you are already interested in. What really worries me is exactly what you propose, when someone with bad intent gets a hold of the info, and it WILL happen, then what?
I think in general, that must be correct for now. Could a hundred intelligence agencies be doing it, right now? Could equally funded private groups be doing it, right now? Could umpteen political PACS and shell organizations find a way to do it? I don't know. I'm generally pessimistic with these things.

I believe the very worst is inevitable, unless some very strong, and democracy motivated, legislation is passed. All the money in the world however, has a vested interest in changing nothing at all, and in fact, speeding it up.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:28   #77

Looking at it another way, if you are extremely wealthy, and/or extremely powerful - you likely benefit. You also have enormous influence. Seems like a bad situation for a democracy.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:31   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivalo View Post
Presently they aren't doing much nefarious with the info, just showing you ads for stuff you are already interested in. What really worries me is exactly what you propose, when someone with bad intent gets a hold of the info, and it WILL happen, then what?

Actually, nefarious political use has been made of illegally obtained data.

So, let's not be too comfortable with all this just yet. 2020 approaches...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:49   #79

Speaking about hyper sensitivity amongst boaters. I have had people complain to the management at my marina which is city owned about both my Trump 2020 and thin green line US flags. You would think people would be more concerned about loose halyards banging all night...
CaverCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:56   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaverCop View Post
Speaking about hyper sensitivity amongst boaters. I have had people complain to the management at my marina which is city owned about both my Trump 2020 and thin green line US flags. You would think people would be more concerned about loose halyards banging all night...

But that's the point - why is it necessary to be in peoples' faces with that stuff? Is it a boat or a billboard?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:58   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
But that's the point - why is it necessary to be in peoples' faces with that stuff? Is it a boat or a billboard?
My boat, my platform; I see no difference in a MAGA hat than a Nike hat as they are both promoting something of the individuals choice.
Old 09-11-2019, 13:00   #82

Boat: Hunter 260

Quote:
Actually, nefarious political use has been made of illegally obtained data.

So, let's not be too comfortable with all this just yet. 2020 approaches...

I had forgotten about that, I rarely use facebook but I remember seeing this in the news.
Old 09-11-2019, 13:16   #83

Quote:
My boat, my platform; I see no difference in a MAGA hat than a Nike hat as they are both promoting something of the individuals choice.
I appreciate that you came forward with this; it's almost exactly a mirror of the subject of politics on CF.

Surely you agree that a MAGA hat is more of a provocation than a Nike hat? No-one wears a MAGA hat just because they liked the colour red.

It's silly to complain about others' hypersensitivity when you see no issues with hyperpartisanship. That's the point - lack of regard for the others, political declarations invading a non-political venue.

It's not illegal to f4rt or belch loudly in a restaurant, but most people seem to agree that it's not appropriate.
Old 09-11-2019, 13:27   #84

Quote:

It's silly to complain about others' hypersensitivity when you see no issues with hyperpartisanship. That's the point - lack of regard for the others, political declarations invading a non-political venue.

It's not illegal to f4rt or belch loudly in a restaurant, but most people seem to agree that it's not appropriate.

It might be that the MAGA hat is free speech, and the complaint is also free speech. Politics & religion are known for dividing people - I think that's why the old expression arose... now, the differences are encouraged to thrive.

Then, they are targeted.
Old 09-11-2019, 13:30   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Let's keep politics off the forum

Ok, no more Maga hats or other talk about such symbolism please.
It WILL result in mud slinging, and us having to shut down the thread.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 13:33   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
It might be that the MAGA hat is free speech, and the complaint is also free speech. Politics & religion are known for dividing people - I think that's why the old expression arose... now, the differences are encouraged to thrive.
Of course it's free speech, and many paid the ultimate price to ensure that we have it. I do think that we should use this right responsibly and appropriately, and with respect for those who won it for us.

Just doing something cos you can, without regard to whether it's an appropriate place and time... I don't think that's being responsible or considerate.

And this applies directly to the question of going political on a boating forum. It's just not the place.
Old 09-11-2019, 13:45   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Ok, no more Maga hats or other talk about such symbolism please.
It WILL result in mud slinging, and us having to shut down the thread.

Good point - everyone is equal here in that regard.
Old 09-11-2019, 13:54   #88
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’ve had similar discussions with the FAA about privacy concerns with what is called ADSB, which is very similar to AIS, but it tracks every movement an aircraft makes, in real time and is freely available.
Now according to the FAA you can contact each agency that reports that data and request in writing that they do not for your tail number.
But also you can pretty much find out a whole lot of data about anyone that owns an airplane merely by typing the N number that’s pointed on the side of every airplane.
This is my old one by the way. Now imagine if that was allowed to be done for an automobiles license plate number?

AviationDB - Aviation Database - Aircraft N107JB

Now the wealthy of course have lawyers that ensure that there whereabouts are not reported and their aircraft are owned by corporations, so it’s just the average person who’s privacy isn’t protected.

Apparently my Father’s old airplane is no more, I didn’t know that until now.
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/171707
Nice plane, the Maule. I've flown two. Enjoyed them.

You also have to opt-out of allowing the FAA to post your home address for any curious person to see. I have a security clearance, so I suppose that's to make it easier for Russia's FSB to send a honeypot over to meet me. I'm still waiting Russia, if you're reading this ;-) I'm always there on weekends. I prefer burnets. But sorry... I won't help her "Uncle Sasha." Or maybe it's so terrorists can conveniently find and kidnap pilots.

Since 9-11, they won't settle for a PO Box or commercial mail service address. They insist on knowing where you sleep. Since there's no mail service at my marina, and they rejected my UPS Store address, I sent my boat's latitude and longitude (degrees and minutes only). They accepted that. I haven't informed them of all my voyages where my "home address" moved, but if they insist, I'll just send the link to my boat AIS data on marinetraffic.com. Now there's a reason to have AIS!
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 13:56   #89

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
See, this would kinda annoy me. But I would never, ever, consider trying to force you to remove them. Freedom of speech includes the ability to offend others. And I don’t have any right to not be offended.

I also have the right to speak my mind, and to say how silly your flags are .
Old 09-11-2019, 14:10   #90

pirate Re: Let's keep politics off the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
See, this would kinda annoy me. But I would never, ever, consider trying to force you to remove them. Freedom of speech includes the ability to offend others. And I don’t have any right to not be offended.

I also have the right to speak my mind, and to say how silly your flags are .
And I would smile and say all the pirate flags in the marina are silly :Viking:

Tags
rum