Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2021, 22:55   #1

Boat: Tom Gilmer, Roughwater 33
List of the best small 30-35' full keel cruising boats based on traditional designs..

Hey there, I'm a wooden boat sailor who has been looking for a solid wooden gaffer for a few years now that I intend to live aboard and cruise offshore. I Have crewed on two Atlantic crossings in a traditional gaffer and have significant offshore and coastal experience in these types of vessels.

Problem is I live on Vancouver Island and I have been finding out in the course of my search that the wooden boat scene has been dead here for atleast a couple decades. Almost no new wooden cruising boats are being built here and I've been sifting through the dregs of the last generation trying to find a boat with solid bones, good bronze fasteners without significant wastage, built with the right combination of woods etc.. The only ones I've seen for sale w'ere dilapidated well beyond the point where they would be safe to take offshore, and the rare one or two I've seen in very well kept shape I havn't managed to wrestle from their current owners yet.. Not for lack of trying.

In short I never thought I'd be saying this but I'm considering looking for a fiberglass boat. But one that is based on some of the older designs that I love, that I could convert to gaff rig to suit my needs/experience and philosophy.

Just to be clear what I'm looking for is a cutter or ketch, has to be keel stepped mast/masts, full keel, heavy displacement, double ender preferable, but i'd entertain others.. Just a simple solid cruiser with minimal gadgetry. 30-35' on deck, preferably 10' beam and above. Must have bowsprit.

So heres what I'm already aware of, I'd love to hear boat suggestions from you guys.

- Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31,
- Bristol Channel Cutter 28,
- Westsail 32's have deck stepped masts, and I think it would alter the below decks too much to try and keel step them
- Fiberglass Ingrid, A little bigger than I want but still an option. (not sure if they usually have deck or keel stepped masts)
- Southern Cross 31

Of course even these are a rarity around here. Hoping the border opens up soon so I can go boat shopping in Washington.

Still have my ear to the ground for a good William Atkin Woody but it's good to have a plan B.

Cheers

Ryan
rkarakai21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 13:46   #2

Boat: Bayfield 32
Re: List of the best small 30-35' full keel cruising boats based on traditional desig

How about a Bayfield 32 or 32C? Both are 30 ft on deck with a bowsprit. The 32C has more sail area on the same hull, with 4 more feet of mast and 2 more feet of bowsprit. Both were built in Canada.
Mark1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 13:56   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: List of the best small 30-35' full keel cruising boats based on traditional desig

If you'd consider going just a bit bigger I'd encourage you to look at my boat: Rafiki-37. She's a true full-keeler, traditional lines, cutter. LOA is 36' 9", which is exactly the same as Joshua Slocum's famous "Spray". How's that for tradition . And the designer was Stan Huntingford, a Canadian who called the west coast his home.

They only made about 50 of them, but most seen to call the North American west coast home. They come up occasionally on the used market.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:33   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Why do you have to have keel stepped mast??? Do you have a need for water leaking down the mast and into the interior.

No matter how the mast is stepped, losing a cap shroud or all the lower shrouds on the same side is going to result in the loss of the stick in most situations. If the mast is deck stepped it just goes over the side and is relatively easily released from the boat. A keel stepped mast will kink at the deck and may either tear up the mast partners leaving significant hole in the deck or require cutting through the mast to release it. Neither are a fun operation in nasty conditions.

Have done a fair amount of ocean passages, all with deck stepped masts and they've done just fine.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 05:08   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Why do you have to have keel stepped mast??? Do you have a need for water leaking down the mast and into the interior.
Have done a fair amount of ocean passages, all with deck stepped masts and they've done just fine.
Ah... missed that part of the ask roverhi. I completely agree. You can make arguments for either approach. Neither approach is inherently better if done right.

I'll add the Rafiki-37s are deck-stepped. And while I've yet to cross an ocean, my boat has, as well as many others. If there's such a thing as a "bluewater boat" Rafiki-37s are definitely one.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:22   #6

An Allied Seawind 30/32 sloop or ketch not wood though great history
peterincalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:34   #7

Boat: Gulf 32

Gulf 32 & Rawsons are popular in your area, G32 will take some work to make bluewater ready.

Alajuela 38?

Baba 30 or 35 ticks almost all your boxes

I think most Cape Dorys were full keel?

-- Bass
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:37   #8

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35

I think Port Townsend is still sending out a fair amount of wood boats. Cape George’s and such.

I’ve seen plenty on Craigslist around here, but most like this: 1968 Atkin Barrie Anne ketch https://skagit.craigslist.org/boa/d/...283756357.html

I am not sure if you want such a project. May be worth checking out?
Granted that’s state side.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:44   #9

I've been harbouring a forbidden lust for this 59' wooden beauty: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...pinky-3225140/
RogerC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:57   #10

Boat: Pearson 34-2

The Allied SeaWind certainly has a proven history. I myself am a fan of the Seabreeze. There is a YouTube channel called "How to Sail Oceans" with this guy Kevin in an engine-less Gillmer 31. A very traditional boat, a full keel, gaff rigged cutter with tan bark sails, that has many ocean miles under her keel.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:58   #11

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

rkarikai; give this site a look as they only do wooden boats and have a few listed for sale, albeit in Maine. https://www.offcenterharbor.com. But once pandemic is under control and not an issue could ship your new boat cross country. enjoy the hunt.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred4936 View Post
The Allied SeaWind certainly has a proven history. I myself am a fan of the Seabreeze. There is a YouTube channel called "How to Sail Oceans" with this guy Kevin in an engine-less Gillmer 31. A very traditional boat, a full keel, gaff rigged cutter with tan bark sails, that has many ocean miles under her keel.
Ruth Avery is a Southern Cross 31, for the record. Designed by Gillmer, as you say.
RogerC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:23   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: List of the best small 30-35' full keel cruising boats based on traditional desig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkarakai21 View Post
Hey there, I'm a wooden boat sailor who has been looking for a solid wooden gaffer for a few years now that I intend to live aboard and cruise offshore. I Have crewed on two Atlantic crossings in a traditional gaffer and have significant offshore and coastal experience in these types of vessels.

Problem is I live on Vancouver Island and I have been finding out in the course of my search that the wooden boat scene has been dead here for atleast a couple decades. Almost no new wooden cruising boats are being built here and I've been sifting through the dregs of the last generation trying to find a boat with solid bones, good bronze fasteners without significant wastage, built with the right combination of woods etc.. The only ones I've seen for sale w'ere dilapidated well beyond the point where they would be safe to take offshore, and the rare one or two I've seen in very well kept shape I havn't managed to wrestle from their current owners yet.. Not for lack of trying.

In short I never thought I'd be saying this but I'm considering looking for a fiberglass boat. But one that is based on some of the older designs that I love, that I could convert to gaff rig to suit my needs/experience and philosophy.

Just to be clear what I'm looking for is a cutter or ketch, has to be keel stepped mast/masts, full keel, heavy displacement, double ender preferable, but i'd entertain others.. Just a simple solid cruiser with minimal gadgetry. 30-35' on deck, preferably 10' beam and above. Must have bowsprit.

So heres what I'm already aware of, I'd love to hear boat suggestions from you guys.

- Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31,
- Bristol Channel Cutter 28,
- Westsail 32's have deck stepped masts, and I think it would alter the below decks too much to try and keel step them
- Fiberglass Ingrid, A little bigger than I want but still an option. (not sure if they usually have deck or keel stepped masts)
- Southern Cross 31

Of course even these are a rarity around here. Hoping the border opens up soon so I can go boat shopping in Washington.

Still have my ear to the ground for a good William Atkin Woody but it's good to have a plan B.

Cheers

Ryan
https://www.devalk.nl/en/yachtbroker...OT-CUTTER.html

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/bo...-sale/2001207/

The 30ft pilot cutter under sail..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130629700-291x218.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	236221  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 17:21   #14

We own a Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31. We have owned her since 1997 and usually spend half the year cruising from Florida to Cayman Islands or Cuba most years. She is in Panama now in a nice marina since 2019. If you are interested a description is on https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/59018
Thank you for your interest and would love to hear from you.
Lou Marcoux
loumar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 17:27   #15

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Consider the Cape George Cutters: 31', 34', 36'. Made in Pt. Townsend - your neck of the woods. They have fiberglass hulls and the rest is wooden construction. Newer ones have glassed-over decks and house; earlier ones have teak over plywood decks. Used ones are available in a wide range of condition, and of course you could start a new one with the builder. I know of one 31' that is in bad condition - needs new deck and house, plus a beam or two, and most systems - but is a good hull with a Volvo engine installed with a MaxProp. The new owner is a broker so he is going to look for a profit, but one can assume he has little in it to start with. Only look if you are ready to do a lot of work though.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising, keel