Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2017, 13:11   #16

Re: Little Harbor 38 Sailors

Upon further review it appears that the person who bought the RI blue Robin in 2014 put a bunch of money into it and put it back on the market?

There is no information in soldboats as to what it might have sold for nor is it on YW today. Pocket listing?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 13:24   #17

Boat: Little Harbor 38

I think there are a lot of ROBINS. I know mine was a ROBIN when it first sold in 1982. If they couldn't sell a boat they would name it ROBIN until it sold.

Note the "blue boat" is actually Robin Blue, the signature Ted Hood color.

Here is two more 38s I forgot about:
Cormorant - Pocasset, MA
Walkabout - Fl

and maybe

Dusky Owl, Marion
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 13:31   #18

Upon further review it appears that the person who bought the RI blue Robin in 2014 put a bunch of money into it and put it back on the market?

There is no information in soldboats as to what it might have sold for nor is it on YW today. Pocket listing?

To recap:

1980, Puritan, white hull in CT sold 6/15 for 87.5k
1981, Robin, white hull in ME sold 6/06 for 126.5k (Ted Hoods boat)
1981, Robin, blue hull in RI sold 7/07 for 90K
1981, Triana, reddish hull in MD sold 10/15 for 122.5k

In addition:

1985, Hallelujah, dark blue hull in NY sold 9/16 for 18k (OP’s boat?)

Atlantic Y&S 1981 blue hull, Robin, unknown.
Old 25-04-2017, 15:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH View Post
I think there are a lot of ROBINS. I know mine was a ROBIN when it first sold in 1982. If they couldn't sell a boat they would name it ROBIN until it sold.

Note the "blue boat" is actually Robin Blue, the signature Ted Hood color.

Dusky Owl, Marion
Ted's 38 was white.
Old 25-04-2017, 16:42   #20

Yes, the RI Robin definitely had a total refit and was pristine. Was advertised on Atlantic Yachts for $285k and taken off the market. That price was wishful thinking no matter how nice.
Hallelujah is my boat and correct, bought it for that price last September. Needs a lot of work however our plan is to attack a few projects every year and eventually take her south for the winters.
This year it's stripping all wood and new varnish, painting cabin top, re-caulking and refinishing teak decks and change out most plumbing. The waste system plumbing seems ridiculously complicated. Any input on what other owners have done to update theirs would be appreciated.
Thank you, paul
Paul C LH38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:39   #21

Little Harbor 38 owners you are invited to a Ted Hood designer Rendezvous on July 21-23 in Bristol, R.I.

Go to:

Designer series.org
Old 29-06-2017, 13:06   #22

Any LH 38 owners with past or present issues with centerboard cable breaking? Just lifted ours yesterday to launch and in the travel lift went to cycle the board up and down and discovered the cable wasn't attached to anything. Board was "locked" in the up position by PO with wooden wedges.
Any advise from someone with experience would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 29-06-2017, 13:53   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C LH38 View Post
Any LH 38 owners with past or present issues with centerboard cable breaking? Just lifted ours yesterday to launch and in the travel lift went to cycle the board up and down and discovered the cable wasn't attached to anything. Board was "locked" in the up position by PO with wooden wedges.
Any advise from someone with experience would be appreciated.
Thanks

Yes, we broke our pennant 4 years ago. I was cranking it up and just as I got it all the way up it went down with a bang. I thought we had seriously damaged something. I called Bobby Hood and he said not to worry, just get the pennant fixed. We had to leave that harbor at 3 am, low tide, because we now drew 9.5 feet.

Note that the centerboard has a tail that the wire is attached to. The tail is supposed to stay up in the well when the board is lowered. It is only supposed to be lowered all the way down when you want to replace the pennant. The wire should also be spliced, not crimped.
Old 30-06-2017, 19:31   #24

Thank you. I'm assuming the cable is easy to snake through the trunk? Would you be able to forward Bobby Hood's contact info?
Old 12-09-2018, 17:51   #25

Boat: LH43-2

My husband and I just bought a Little Harbor 43-2. It has a whale bottom body, centerboard, aft cockpit configuration. It only had one owner and was his third Little Harbor. We haven’t had a lot of time sailing it yet. We plan to sail it from Cape Cod to South Florida this fall. We have been fixing the rudder, upgrading and updating some electronics, toilet... Have yet to figure out if the water heater works on electricity or engine only, how to get the espar heater to work, get the oven to light. But we are retired ocean racers so this is ultimate luxury! The sink can drain electrically! Wow! There are outlets! I can have a toaster. No, it doesn’t have a generator, just lots and lots of batteries.
JollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:42   #26

I know this is an old thread, but just an FYI. I have LH38 hull #2, Current name Ruby K. Located in New Bern NC. She was in very bad shape when I got her in Florida. Bad hull to deck joint and lots of water intrusion. Build quality is not as good as the later hulls built in Hood's yard in Taiwan. I think the first ten hulls were built in the Lien Hwa yard. I had to re-core the deck and replaced the teak toerails with aluminum, (had to, deck joint was that bad). Haven't been able to work on her the last couple of years. I've been too busy working on other people's boats. Still needs a full interior refit, but I will be going back into the yard soon.
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:55   #27

Boat: LH43-2

Good luck with the refit! We have a newer model. No water intrusion. Just old systems that must be replaced or repaired. Sometimes we have to replace just because they no longer make parts for the old product. But we used to buy new keels the way some people buy sails so this is not something we are afraid of. As my husband says, the boat is free it's the maintenance that is expensive.
JollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 15:54   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
A blue 1981 LH38 in Portsmouth, RI named Robin sold 7/14 for 90k.
That was Ted Hood's first one. I was the original buyer of Hull No. 3 and that is the boat that Ted was seen sailing in the Rolex commercial that was around for years. (I believe Robin which was no1 or 2 was not yet ready). I sold that in the early 90s. And do not know where or under what name it is sailed todaY. I Believe that Puritan was the other of the first three hulls.
nednan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail