Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2022, 15:21   #16

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Live aboard boat / Dog

I grew up with two Great Pyrenees dogs. We have a 6O ‘ vessel customized to provide security for my wife who is disabled. It’s a heavy, solid, vessel with a sea kindly motion. She is always careful to observe the ancient seafarer advice...one hand for the man, or woman, the other one for the ship.
Dogs don’t have hands.
They cannot grasp the handholds, they don’t understand the severity of violent storm motion nor can they anticipate forces.
You are the alpha dog. They will do anything for you.
Why...Why risk their injury. Don’t you love them. Don’t you ?
The prudent Mariner, the good captain, places the safety and well-being of the crew first. Like children on board, pets don’t get a vote on matters.
You are displeased by negative advice. Rather stands in the face of the totality of the advice which you have requested. Does it not?
Lastly, professional mariners like ourselves, are under legal obligation to render assistance....often...to rescue those who have embarked on voyages against advice, or with inadequate training or in unseaworthy vessels.
My crew have families, loved ones, and yet they are willing to put their life on the line in often horrific circumstances.
I’m not going to permit my crew to rescue your dog. I’ll direct them not to as any rescue involves crew risk. As Captain, that is my legal right and I intend to use my discretion on do exactly that. Children and women first. Holds true today.
So...who is putting who at risk. Who has placed their enjoyment above this risk.
You ought to ask yourself some serious questions.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 17:07   #17

Boat: Tanzer 22 to learn to sail on .

Points taken , but contrary to what you may think , you have not introduced anything I have not thought out ! Not getting into a pissing match over the dog ! As you say me Captain, my boat , I live with the consequences!

They’re so much I could say but will not!

Thank you for what you do and out of respect for that and your crew and the points you felt you must make I will only say

HAPPY SAILS and wish you the best !
Lady Captin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 22:33   #18

Boat: Outremer 55L

One time our dog (boarder collie) was so unhappy about a not very comfortable 5 hour passage between two islands that she decided to leap from our boat as we were approaching a fuel dock, still 3m away. She landed in the water and with an on-dock wind it was a close call to not squish her. We put her on a leash for dock approaches after that.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 22:55   #19

Boat: Volkscruiser

Lady Captain I think there are dog/boat lovers pages on Facebook. There are certainly more like minded folk over there who love dogs on boats. I think the best idea is to modify the boat so its easy for your dog to get around. I wouldn't worry about resale as there is bound to be another dog lover/buyer who would appreciate the mods you have made.
Just look at the interior of the Dugong lovers 60' custom boat. He made sure his fishy crew have the best room on the boat......
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dugong home 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	253089  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 23:14   #20

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Small point. My wee dog sailed all over Bass Strait with me for quite a few years, I reckon he had more Bass Strait crossings than most sailors.

Someone here suggest stairs rather than steps into the cockpit.
Bad idea.
There are times when you just do not want your dog on deck - in heavy weather etc.
Old 17-02-2022, 00:42   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Captin View Post
We plan to take the Rottweiler on the learning boat , once we feel we are proficient enough to have her safely on board . Then we can work on the challenges as they arise I assure you all . She will get he best life jacket money can buy for her !
We have a life jacket for our large dog (120lb) and one of the things we’ve done with it both to test and as training is to lift him using the available handholds on the life jacket. (We made sure to get one that had well attached places to grab.) That let us make sure we were happy with how it stays on, and also gets him used to being lifted by it, since that’d most likely be how he got fished out if he fell/jumped in.

We got it mostly for when we’re up by Lake Erie because even just walking on the beach if he went into the water and had trouble we couldn’t figure out how we’d be able to rescue him successfully without something better to grab than his walking harness. He doesn’t mind ‘clothes’ so he doesn’t care if he has it on or not so we can be a bit paranoid about it. He’s not thrilled about the being lifted part but he puts up with it with that “the humans are human-ing again, sigh” face which is good enough.
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 19:19   #22

Boat: Westerly Sealord

here is a nice little Discus for you
https://www.rightboat.com/au/boats-f...-deck/rb407391
Wrong country but there are 300 out there so should be one somewhere in N America.
Indicative price is right for you.
Check the photos, not only dog friendly side decks but also dog friendly steps in the cabin.
This is the class of boat owned by Bob Shepton that has gone further north than any other yacht. https://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/...f-the-year-405
https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/...adventure-9572

A thought on the dog problem.
Never mind the sugarscoop/bathing platform - dog gets on that and is still no closer to the deck of the yacht.
Build a platform - wooden grating style . Fit to transom with hinges so that when lowered it is at same or almost the same level as the top of your dinghy's tubes.. Step up to deck now reduced to about 18 inches. Problem solved.

Digressing here . Re Bob Shepton - I regret having missed a chance to meet him in the Falklands about 4 years ago. He was returning from an expedition to South Georgia with -amongst others - an ex crew member if mine , Alejandro aka Alex - a spanish apiarist.
They were delayed for a few days with rig problems, we had a near perfect weather window for the run back south through Le Maire and on to Chile. We sailed 36 hours before they arrived. Pity that.
Old 17-02-2022, 20:41   #23

Boat: Beneteau

No one person can be credited with inventing living aboard. It's yours to do your way. Firstly no two boats operate the same way with the same requirements or people dictating their wishes or needs. If you listen to all and maybe any of the advice on these forums you will find yourself stretched in every conceivable direction without any real guidance that fits your plan. And don't get me started on plans because they are like opinions and a**holes in that everyone has one.

Start with what matters to you and go from there. I've friends that would never sleep in an RV because that isn't camping and others that see a tent as a device of torture but they all go camping and tell of the great time they've had.

A good friend told me I could not sail with a dog or European production boat. Sadly his Bluewater cruiser has been on the hard for nine years while we've enjoyed sailing with our dog.

Listen with the intention of making the advice given the value it is worth.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 20:50   #24

NORTONSCOVE ..

Never before has so much been said by so few words ! You hit the nail on the head on so many levels . Guess we just needed time to figure that out on our own.

That being said I have made a few nice connections with some genuinely helpful people, and have started to PM them . We Are learning who will help us achieve.....OUR ....GOALS ....NOT ....THEIRS !

There is indeed ...MUCH ! MUCH ! Wisdom in your words ,

Thank you ! Happy Sails !
Old 19-02-2022, 06:14   #25

Boat: Beneteau

Hi Lady Captin. Looking at an online sales site here in Newfoundland this morning and came across what seems to be a good old boat that may be worth your interest. The site is NL Classified and the vessel is a 35 Hughes I believe with a great deal of the work already performed.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 06:03   #26

Well after much research we have found what seems ....FOR ....US ! The perfect boat ? The Pearson 37-2 ! It had an opening transom for our dog, it is a little older and therfore in our price range . It has an awesome layout for a couple , with a great bedroom .

Would love to hear some thoughts on this boat , if you go on yacht world type in person 37-2 ! There is one listed at 54 K . The other one it to expensive and come with a Lot of stuff we don’t need , two AC units which we could not use living off grind , boat cover, ect

We are very excited about this boat , we realize that the odds of getting one when are are ready are small , but it would be amazing and gives us something to dream of that suits us better !

I realize every boat will be a compromise, so this seems a perfect compromise at this point , but that could change as we learn more !
Old 20-02-2022, 16:00   #27

Boat: Ontario 32

The Pearson 37-2 does indeed seem to tick off most of the boxes on your list and could be a very comfortable cruising boat for a couple with a dog. Given your background of living in an RV, I can see why you would find the interior layout to be particularly appealing and indeed, for coastal port-to-port cruising, it is a good, comfortable and functional use of space. I have never been a fan of quarter-berths, finding them awkward to use or clean, and they are always filled with junk. I would far rather have large, spacious cockpit lockers to handle all of the gear and pieces that are part of cruising life.

A minor caveat: you and your dog will still have to learn to cope with a high companionway ladder.

A major caveat: this is not a great layout for bluewater cruising. The forward berth will not be suitable for use while heeling or plunging over waves. While you should be able to equip the settee with a lee cloth, it is not clear from the available diagrams that the settee will actually be long enough for someone to sleep comfortably on.

In his letter about designing the 37-2, Bill Shaw began by saying: "For many of today's sailors traditions of the past are not important." He concluded that letter with "Here at last is a sailboat that provides all of the conveniences of your everyday lifestyle in a floating second home." He is completely correct, he has done a superb job of creating a floating summer home for people who are not overly concerned with pursuing the traditions of sailing. However, bear in mind that those traditions evolved through hundreds of years of trial and error, to produce boats and interiors which are livable while bouncing around on the ocean wave, which is not at all like living at home. As John Kretschmer pointed out with insight born of experience, a key factor on a bluewater boat is being able to brace yourself with your hips so that you don't get flung about. So, if you have indeed decided to pursue the course of coastal cruising, moving from one protected anchorage to the next, or into marinas, this boat will likely prove to be a wonderful choice. When you are finally ready to go further afield, you will have gained much experience and will be better-equipped to decide if this boat can do the job or if you need something different.

A final caveat: Pearson only built 53 of them, back in the late eighties. If you spot one that meets your criteria don't wait around about buying it, even if the timing is not optimal. There were 158 of my particular boat built back in the late seventies and early eighties, and I still had to spend a year searching all over the continent to find one that I felt was worth buying and refitting.
Old 20-02-2022, 16:49   #28

PPERFECTPIRATE ,

Thank you for giving us insight to give us good reason to pause ! We now, thanks to your insight and more critical perspective, have reason to see this boat in a new light .

You hit a little to close to home when you made the comparison to why it would appeal to us , because of our Rv ! Lol . But you could not have been more correct! Guess we could not see the forest for the trees as they say ! Guess we just got a little to carried away when we saw the opening transom !

Thank you for reminding us what we need to focus on going forward when it comes to a blue water boat , disappointed , but that is why I ask . Sometimes you have to hear what you need to hear !

Now before all the anti dog people get started at this comment , know we have since found serval YouTube video of owners with large dogs on a regular boat , and feel more confident and good about our decision. Yes they did talk about the pros and cons and we order a book written by one .

We are focused now on getting the right boat the first time , and that is why I appreciate your comments and insight ,which has given us reason as I said to reevaluate the boat. We still have a binder full of excellent possibilities, so the lesions continue!
Old 21-02-2022, 07:08   #29

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I own a 36 foot (now 37 after modification) Pearson, and I would not go smaller, especially for liveaboard. In fact, a few years ago I thought about getting a Pearson 422 or 424, but now I'm committed, for at least the next 4-5 years to my current boat.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 07:30   #30

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

The size of the boat is really up to your comfort and budget... We've got a 40' sailcat and small or large boat you could always use more room, but as mentioned....$$$$.

Specifically to dogs. We've been travelling 5 months w/ out 2 long hair chihuahuas. Luckily they were potty trained as we both had long commutes and they didn't get out for walks as often as needed. This helps A LOT as our dogs when needed can use a tray in the back of the boat. We try to wash the dogs at least twice a month, to try to keep down the doggie smell, but really you've got to plan on washing anything the dog lays on at least once a month. But the dogs do great!!! They make tons of friends at marinas and fuel docks and definitely add alot to our trip. But, these are our results, yours (others) may vary.

jBrad
sv Fuzzy Logic
40' Leopard sailcat

Tags
boat