Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2020, 20:19   #46

Boat: nauticat 44
Re: Liveaboard blue water boat: Nauticat 44 or Amel Super Maramu?

Hi Zante74,

Do not hesitate to contact me. I believe that we are here on this earth to serve each other. Glad to help. Michael
hatteras53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:38   #47

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zante74 View Post
Hi,

thank you for your suggestion.

The HR 42 is a boat that we are already evaluating, but it's really old. The model that is famous for the circumnavigation is the HR 42E (ketch), the most recent are the HR 42F (sloop).

We don't like the HR's layout for the liveaboard comfort.

Good winds.

With all due respect, HR42E is an extremely conservative design. Unless you are bound for the Southern Ocean or ice, you may reconsider.

I only say this as many people when saying circumnavigation mean sailing rtw in the warm climates, with at least one but more often two, equator crossings, etc.

Btw actually, the most recent HR42 is called HR43 III as visible here:
https://www.hallberg-rassy.com/yacht...ssy-43-mk-iii/

This one would, in fact, make an excellent boat for a circumnavigating couple. Esp. ordered a with hard top and a stay sail.

AVOID heavy under-canvassed boats with excessive draft for the easy 'milkrun' circumnavigation route.

Cheers,
b.
circumnavigator
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:29   #48

A nauticat is a trawler with sails.
An Amel is a sailboat.

Don't think I'm not a fan of Nauticats, I am. In fact, I lived on one in the Caribbean last year. We sold it and are looking for an Amel to cross oceans.

The nauticat was purposefully built for the North, not ocean crossings, not the Caribbean. Can it do them, yes. What will you be happier in?

The best advice I've heard on all these forums from sailors with waaaaaay more experience than me is get a boat for where you are and what you're doing.

Our Nauticat was so well built and heavy, it actually led to its demise. The person who bought it got caught off-guard by Dorian, drug her mooring and broke up on the rocks. In the Caribbean, you're not going to want a boat that draws 6', has to start the motor if you don't time the tack just right and is mooring selective based on its heavy displacement.

The business about Nauticat being out of business doesn't matter at all. There's nothing really specific to a Nauticat that gets regular service (motors, rigging, instrumentation, etc.). It's all third party manufacturers and there is plenty of support for that.

If you pass on the Amel, send me a link
If you get the Nauticat, go tour Ireland.

Happy sailing
Ceme98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, boat, liveaboard, water