Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2012, 10:15   #46

Re: Living At Anchor On A Monohull

With all this being said, which will be the most comfortable at anchor?

Hunter 45 CC Passage

Gemini 34 Catamaran

This is for a couple that will sometimes have kids families down to visit..
gcaskew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 10:58   #47

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The Hunter will be more spacious. However, that particular model also sails around on anchor like no other boat I have seen - I'm talking about constantly tacking back and forth 90*-90* jerking hard as it comes to the end of its tack. In any strong weather, that will be uncomfortable.

Unlike most cats, the Gemini is actually routinely beachable and easy to get back off, which opens up some exploring possibilities.

Difficult decision.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 11:21   #48

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Re: Living at anchor on a monohull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
There are really only two issues. One is rolling and the other is space. In most anchorages in most places you will anchor where there is no swell, so rolling isn't a big issue. .
REALLY? Where have you anchored, or is the water that side of the pond thicker or something? I can tell you that I have often sat on my little 30ft cat that was nice and stable, watching 40-50ft + monos rolling around like they were in a gale!

Some people get used to it, some dont. The big difference is not really the wider beam on a cat (mine is only 4.2m so similar to a large mono) but the fact they have huge heavy keels that act as a pendulum, this keeps any momentum from a slight swell or a passing boat up longer where a cat will wobble as well but will stop much quicker.

I met a couple on my cruise who had a 45ft Westerly. They were both VERY experienced sailors, 10 years +, having done many long passages including the Atlantic a couple of times. However, the wife was at the end of her tether as she was totaly fed up with the constant rolling of the boat at anchor. Theyed only really sailed port to port before and not done much anchoring and she was surprised at how much movement there was and commented how comfortable my 15foot shorter cat was when they had a drink on mine one night.

Yeeeeeeess, cat's can be more expensive but theres a good reason for that, the cat market is strong as powerboat owners who cant pay the fuel but want to retain their comfort move to them and monohull sailors cotton onto their comfort and trade up as well.

If you want a fun, fast, point anywhere boat to sail for pleasure Get A Mono. If you want comfort at anchor then a cat is worth the money (IMHO of course).
Old 26-08-2012, 11:25   #49

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I like the fact that I can carry 300' of chain in my mono's chain locker without it effecting performance. Helps me sleep better when I'm on the hook.
And i have 80 metres of 12mm short link stored at the mast base, performance for the design? No probs...
Old 26-08-2012, 13:57   #50

Boat: OEM, proportional

Tacking at anchor...how come they don't use a riding sail? Or, if the rest of the anchorage is already tacking about, perhaps a bad idea...

Roll period....how come they're not hoisting a heavy weight up the mast to change the resonance? E.g., outboard, spare anchor, chain coil, sealed bucket/bag of water, passing jetskier, etc....

Seas at different bearing than wind....how about a springline to the anchor rode to keep the waves on the most comfortable bearing?

And lastly, wake following torpedos....Mk 46/50 would be ideal, less collaterals...
Old 26-08-2012, 14:17   #51

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

While they can be somewhat of a PITA to rig, most monohulls can markedly reduce rolling at anchor with a "flopper-stopper" of some sort.

Considering that mostly rolling is a rare problem, this can be a reasonable solution, and is somewhat less expensive than buying a catamaran.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 26-08-2012, 14:59   #52

Boat: OEM, proportional

How about rafting up with two other monos and making an impromptu trimaran?

Not sure what the hybrid would be called if three trimarans rafted up....Pontoon Bridge, perhaps?
Old 26-08-2012, 15:58   #53

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcaskew View Post
With all this being said, which will be the most comfortable at anchor?

Hunter 45 CC Passage

Gemini 34 Catamaran

This is for a couple that will sometimes have kids families down to visit..
And the answer is.............. it depends.

In a well sheltered anchorage both boats would be equally comfortable. The room is comparable and with swim platforms both would be easy to board. If it kicks up I would take the Hunter, it might sail a bit but it will not slam like the Gemini. As much of your time in an anchorage will be in pleasant conditions the instances of slamming will be few.

It's your choice, but I would not choose a boat solely on how it behaves in an anchorage. There are many other factors that come into play and many depend on individual likes and dislikes such as galley placement for one. Choose a boat on what you like not on others' views on what they like.

It will be difficult to choose a cruising boat that will suit most of your needs if you have not owned and cruised (even for weekends or vacations) before. That's why the more boats you have owned the more likely it will be that your next boat will better meet your needs.
Old 26-08-2012, 16:30   #54

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
It will be difficult to choose a cruising boat that will suit most of your needs if you have not owned and cruised (even for weekends or vacations) before. That's why the more boats you have owned the more likely it will be that your next boat will better meet your needs.
Good advice! And, as many have pointed out here, a lot depends on where you plan on doing most of your boating. West Coasters don't care as much about shallow draft, while it is very nice to have here on the East Coast and in the Bahamas. One other thing that most boat salespeople won't mention--think of your mast height too. The ICW between Norfolk and Miami has a controlling overhead height of 65 feet for most of the way, and the west coast of Florida only has 55 feet. There are a few exceptions, but if you plan on doing the ICW much, and it is a good chunk of the East Coast, think about your air draft.
Old 26-08-2012, 17:15   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
While they can be somewhat of a PITA to rig, most monohulls can markedly reduce rolling at anchor with a "flopper-stopper" of some sort.

Considering that mostly rolling is a rare problem, this can be a reasonable solution, and is somewhat less expensive than buying a catamaran.

Cheers,

Jim
My friend used one the other night in a rather rolly anchorage. He said it was "just barely worth the hassle". The Pardey's have a technique using a bucket (I think) with holes drilled in the bottom and a canvas flap; something like that. Easier to store than the big stainless steel jobber.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 20:31   #56

Quote:
Considering that mostly rolling is a rare problem...
We are certainly in different cruising grounds than you!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 26-08-2012, 20:36   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Roll period....how come they're not hoisting a heavy weight up the mast to change the resonance? E.g., outboard, spare anchor, chain coil, sealed bucket/bag of water, passing jetskier, etc....
No way will this work. There are multiple resonances in every wave train of the type we are discussing - you may damp one temporarily, but will certainly find another quickly. The only possibility for success would be to randomly and continually change the weight and hoist height - but why not just move? I spend a lot of time in my hammock experiencing and pondering this exact thing...

Mark

Old 26-08-2012, 23:07   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We are certainly in different cruising grounds than you!

Mark
Yes, Mark, that's true! But most of the anchorages along the East coast of Oz have protection from oceanic swells. Two that are notorious for rolling are Byron Bay and Double Island Point. IN both of these there is often a refracted ocean swell that invades the anchorage area at roughly 90 degrees to the wind, with the inevitable result of nasty rolling. Using a spring from an aft winch to the rode a bit ahead of the bow can alleviate the rolling... until the wind dies out in the wee hours. Then you are simply stuffed!

Ya know, if it wasn't for things like this the anchorages would be even more crowded than they are!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 26-08-2012, 23:15   #59

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Yes, Mark, that's true! But most of the anchorages along the East coast of Oz have protection from oceanic swells. Two that are notorious for rolling are Byron Bay and Double Island Point. IN both of these there is often a refracted ocean swell that invades the anchorage area at roughly 90 degrees to the wind, with the inevitable result of nasty rolling. Using a spring from an aft winch to the rode a bit ahead of the bow can alleviate the rolling... until the wind dies out in the wee hours. Then you are simply stuffed!

Ya know, if it wasn't for things like this the anchorages would be even more crowded than they are!

Cheers,

Jim
Percy Island gets my vote for rolling, quick dash to Pine Islet....
Old 26-08-2012, 23:24   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Percy Island gets my vote for rolling, quick dash to Pine Islet....
OOOhhh yes! But really, Middle Percy isn't an anchorage, it's a car park for the A-frame!

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
anchor, monohull