Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2012, 23:29   #61

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Living At Anchor On A Monohull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
OOOhhh yes! But really, Middle Percy isn't an anchorage, it's a car park for the A-frame!

Cheers,

Jim
Memories of eating a bowl of cornflakes with feet on edge of table and bowl in hand, ran to Pine Islet and dropped our anchor into an open Clamshell. Clam didn't survive!

Broke the push-bike chain drive that was in the manual anchor winch. Had enough and ran down to Island Head Creek staying there for a fortnight, DOESN'T that place have some tide run????

Had to plan trips ashore as miss an oar stroke and you had to row your heart out for 10 minutes to regain....
Old 27-08-2012, 04:26   #62

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
It will be difficult to choose a cruising boat that will suit most of your needs if you have not owned and cruised (even for weekends or vacations) before. That's why the more boats you have owned the more likely it will be that your next boat will better meet your needs.
True, there is no 'right' answer here. I know a couple with a Nauticat 44 (not a catamaran for those that dont know), a very spacious and luxurious ketch with a nice light deck saloon layout and two huge double cabins. However, she rolls like a PIG at anchor. I went for a drink on board one evening and actualy felt seasick and this is from someone who has lived aboard and singlahanded my own 30ft cat for over a year now.

Slamming isn't really an issue and is something that alot of people seem to liek to jump on, my Catalac 900 (basicaly the same as the 1970's designed 9m) ONLY slams if im daft enough to try to go into the waves, so on passage, if the sea is against me, i dont go, simple. However, this thread is about what would be best at anchor andthe plain and simple fact is a mono will roll more than a Cat', it's simple physics.

Another point to mention is that a cat' generaly will have a larger rear cockpit for enjoying the good weather and if you are inside, you are not stuck down in the hull with tiny windows that you can hardly see out of.
Old 27-08-2012, 05:01   #63

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

I would not know what to do with all that extra area on a cat. Cruising usually alone I would feel mighty alone with all that empty space! My little boat has such a comforting snug feeling.
Old 28-08-2012, 14:11   #64
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

I've owned a small catamaran for 7 years now. In that time I've made a lot of friends who own monohulls. It's very common for a bunch of us to sail our boats together as a group (a fleet?). When we arrive at an anchorage, without question, they dinghy over to my boat for dinner and socializing as I can seat 10 in the cockpit and don't roll at at anchor. Many times we even raft up for the night.

But it doesn't end there. After a few cocktails at the marina, as you can imagine, this same conversation comes up all the time. After a number of years I've found the only way to answer them is to say..come on...let's go sailing. It only takes a short time at the helm on my boat before they put her hard on the wind with that knowing look on their face. 15 minutes later, I'm the one smiling as they sputter something along the lines of "hey cats aren't supposed to sail 35 degrees apparent ...

A catamaran is not the perfect boat for all types of sailing. But even older boats like mine sail better than they look. The bottom line is try one before you knock it.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 14:20   #65

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

at sea in a blow i found my trimaran a scary experience, in similiar conditions on my present boat i feel pretty secure. On the other hand hanging out on the tri was pretty comfy (so's the ketch but smaller), being able to sail in knee deep water was also pretty good, running the nose up onto a beach was fun, acres of deck space to dump the dinghy. i reckon a cat is a better overall proposition for Australian conditions, but i aint complaining about my mono.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 23:36   #66

Boat: 56' Sundeer

We have chartered cats and love them in certain places where we're doing a lot of anchoring and sitting around, and there's no concern about sailing in real weather. They're more comfortable and fun with all that space. But when we bought our boat for long distance cruising we got a monohull and are glad we did so - for the same price you get a much bigger boat that is a far more capable sailior in all conditions. Rent the cat in certain places, but buy a monohull IMO if you are serious about doing some sailing.
TamariskRTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 23:54   #67

Boat: Lagoon 440

Think the question was comparing motion at anchor/comfort at anchor not so much a comparison between ocean crossing.

Doesn't matter whether 1, 2 or 3 hulls people complete crossings on their yachts every day.

Multi's have a totally different motion at anchor, it is at times diagonal which if you come from a mono you may need some time adapting.

When the breeze holds you side onto slop the night won't be comfortable, time to move!!!
Cheers

Tags
anchor, monohull