Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2019, 09:14   #16

Re: Load capacity of Alberg 35

I have always liked the Alberg 35, but they are an older design with much less space than many newer boats. You already own it so that means MAKE THE BEST OF IT. I cruised in a smaller (26 foot) boat of a similar design and overloaded the hell out of it and still did good passages. For space I eliminated the V-berth and built storage in that area. I also removed a dead diesel but I would highly recommend against trying to use an outboard on your size boat. Used engines are available and if you are handy, can be maintained for a reasonable price. When I removed the diesel I hung an outboard on the back and went thru about 3 outboards and discovered that they are like humans, the third time they go under water, they are drowned. It takes very little for a boat to hobby horse for a second and put the outboard under water. I gave up on outboards and cruised thousands of miles with no engine. It sounds romantic but it puts real limits on getting in and out of anchorages and harbors. Just my opinion. Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 09:58   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

As others have said, you will run out of space long before you overload the boat.

I recall once sailing my P30 with 8 people aboard. Thats well over 1000 pounds of people, not to mention all the usual gear that was already aboard, including the inboard diesel engine, full tanks, dinghy (deflated below) and outboard (stern rail). There was no trouble with carrying all that weight. But I do recall the boat going significantly slower, especially under sail. Everything was set properly, the wind was blowing, we just weren't moving very much.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 10:02   #18

I would recommend a smaller dog( next time).Saves on weight of dog but especially on dog food.
techmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 10:14   #19

Boat: J/42

Yes, I calculate that it takes approximately 700 lbs to lower the waterline of my E29 by one inch, but to get a real visceral feel for how that trades off between stability and performance, you have to sail the boat with and without the weight. Having crew load themselves on board is the easiest way, though their weight will not be distributed as well as your stores would be, we hope. Before maintenance haul-out, I've unloaded everything that would move (good grief, I've got a whole truckload of crap on board?) and in "weekend cruising" mode that turns out to be about 800 lbs! The boat really "comes alive" for that last sail!

I've actually gone so far as to take all the formulas from that sail calcs site and plug them into a spreadsheet, linked to another spreadsheet with my proposed manifest. (Hey, it was a long winter.) You can play games with the cargo and see how the stability and performance numbers change, without the strain of hauling all that stuff to the boat. It quickly pops out that ground tackle, fuel, and water are the big variables. "How much can I gain by cutting the amount of chain in half? Switch from lead to lithium batteries? Add a watermaker instead of another tank?" "How many of my toys can I really fit in?"

On the other side, I scanned in the drawings of the boat and set up a multi-layer image where I can try to see how things will fit (or how proposed modifications might work) before hacking into it. This works less well, because boats are a lot more three-dimensional that the plan drawings would imply!

Analysis paralysis is a real thing, however.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 12:13   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

A sugar scoop stern works well with dogs. You could install a stern platform instead of the side stairs.

All that weight really will slow down the boat. A friend with a bayfield 29 installed every piece of equipment possible on his boat when preparing to cruise. All chain, extra anchors, extra fuel, extra water. The boat ended up so overloaded he could barely do 4 knots WOT...and ended up blowing a cylinder in the diesel.

I commend you for wanting to bring your tools. Perhaps you could find a compromise...some hand tools instead of power tools?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swim.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	188967  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 12:40   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Basically there is no max weight load until water starts flooding in. Usually that's the head/galley sink. Of course you could raise the counter tops to load even more stuff. IIRC a guy actually raised the counters on his Alberg 35 that he'd cruised and lived on for years because it was so down on its lines. One nice thing about the older designs is the more weight you add, the longer the water line gets and they may actually sail faster with enough wind.

You are losing the Atomic 4, the engine the boat was designed for, and adding the outboard. Deduct the weight of the outboard (probably under a 100#) from the weight of the A4 (335# though don't know if that includes transmission) and you have the amount of weight you can add and still be at the design weight. Of course the outboard is hanging off the stern where you don't want weight but it shouldn't be a problem. Best to keep weight centered if possible.

FWIW, do to misunderstandings with Westsail, our W32 ended up with 2,000# extra lead in the ballast. By the time we loaded her down with stores and gear to head south, she was down at least 5" on the scribed water line molded into the fiberglass. Had to raise the bottom paint twice from the time we launched till we left. The boat seemed to sail better the more we loaded in her. We constantly made faster passages than any other boat with anywhere near our waterline length.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 16:11   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Puts a lotta load on yr rigging &sails I believe overloading but having said that we do it every trip on our 26 footer. Need a calendar to measure acceleration tho. Push it down probly 50mm with dive tanks,extra fuel & water lashed to the rails.Crates of beer etc etc. It's amazing what you can fit in but it's a Pita getting to what you need sometimes lol! Need a bigger boat
Outboard no no no unless you in sheltered waters. If you must in a well if possible.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 04:26   #23

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

K.I.S.S.
Outboard...easier to fix/replace WHEN IT BREAKS
Alberg much cheaper in harbours

Manual pumps easier to use WHEN the batteries die (bilge pump only exception)

Electronics...what electronics, the darn batteries are dead
etc
Bill

, My Alberg is very manual...pump water, composting toilet, one thru hull is all that's needed for saltwater intake/sink drain, and even that could be eliminated. Very very cheap to upkeep, and simple. The cat will have all kinds of systems Ill eventually toss out as they break and convert it to manual..but its more stuff to keep up with. I could go on... so what Im hearing from everyone...it seems I can take my tools on the Alberg...
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 35, loa