Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2021, 04:39   #1

Location of Fresh Water Tank Breather

I have a question about the breather for my freshwater tanks. It consists of conduit with an internal outlet that drains into a locker next to the settee on the port side of the main cabin. What this means is that if the water tank in overfilled (easy to do) water will spill into the locker and then into the cabin. So care is required not to overfill the tank.Would the breather have been configured this way to avoid salt water contamination of the fresh water supply? Where are breathers usually mounted? On my last boat (a Catalina 32) the breather was external, but I can't now recall whether it was on the topsides or at the base of a stanchion. Should I just live with this or modify? What modification would people suggest? Existing configuration is a nuisance but change may not be worth the effort. And may be the existing arrangment is preferred when sailing offshore. Thanks in advance.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 04:45   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Location of Fresh Water Tank Breather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I have a question about the breather for my freshwater tanks. It consists of conduit with an internal outlet that drains into a locker next to the settee on the port side of the main cabin. What this means is that if the water tank in overfilled (easy to do) water will spill into the locker and then into the cabin. So care is required not to overfill the tank.Would the breather have been configured this way to avoid salt water contamination of the fresh water supply? Where are breathers usually mounted? On my last boat (a Catalina 32) the breather was external, but I can't now recall whether it was on the topsides or at the base of a stanchion. Should I just live with this or modify? What modification would people suggest? Existing configuration is a nuisance but change may not be worth the effort. And may be the existing arrangment is preferred when sailing offshore. Thanks in advance.
I would change that. We have tank vents in the pushpit and in outside dorade boxes (the water separator part). We also have drains for hatches that end up in a spout above kitchen and vanity sink, which may be the easiest option for you.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 06:13   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Our water tank vent is internal, but dumps into the deepest part of the bilge. There is no chance of seawater contamination here. Although our water tank fills in the cabin as well so it’ll never be an overflow problem for us unless the watermaker overfills the tank.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 18:02   #4

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'

I've sailed on a boat where the water tank vents over the shower sump. I've read about boats that vent over the head or galley sink. My boat (with an internal water fill) vents to a hull/deck intersection.
tenchiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, water