Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 18:37   #1

Looking for 1st Sailboat

I know you guys get this a lot, but I could use some help please!

Been looking for a while and I'm in no hurry. I live in FL, so I know the right boat will come along eventually and I made a list of necessities so helping me narrow down the list is appreciated.

We are avid scuba divers and spend 2-4 weeks in the keys for lobster season, so a walk through transome is something I think I really need unless you guys can tell me how to dive off these boats with small cockpits and long ladders with family. My son and I could do it, but it would be a pain for my wife and daughter.

My experience is limited. I had a 10'er growing up with just one sail. So I need something big enough but not too big to learn on.

My wife will expect something that she can tolerate and all the 80's 25-27 ft boats are too small on the inside for her.

So here is what I think I would like in a first boat. First, small enough to learn on, but big enough to do what we need in FL and maybe jump over to the Bahamas once im experienced enough. Second, walk through transom to make it easy to dive. Third, sleep 4 adults.

Obviously I want something that I can see if we will really like the sailboat pace without gettin too hurt if it doesnt work out.

I think a Catalina 28 fits the bill, but would that be a good 1st boat? Any other boat or manufacturer I should look at? My ultimate goal is to upgrade in 2-5 years to a bigger boat in the 38'-42' size if everything works out. Also, if I can get this in as little money as possible, it would be great! Right now I have been looking in the under $20k price range.

Thanks for any info you can give me!
Byrdman
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:26   #2

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26
Re: Looking for 1st Sailboat

At under $20K for a boat in the 30' range (big enough for the wife, sleeps 4 comfortably), you'll be looking at older ('70's) boats. Lots of great ones out there, but that walk through transom will be hard to find. Those didn't become popular till the late 80's.

How about just adding a big swim step to the transom of an older boat? You could even get clever and do something that folds up while underway. Hop over the railing, stand on the swim step, gear up and dive from there?

Another consideration, especially for Florida, will be keel depth. Look real closely at depth charts of where you plan to sail, dive, and moor the boat. 30' keel boats typically draft 5 to 6 feet, but there are shoal draft versions and swing keel versions that draft less.

Good luck!
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:33   #3

Boat: Riva 48

Have a look at the Hunter 31 model, 83-87 year models. It was a well made, popular boat that can be had for $15K. Many people install a custom swim platform on the reverse transom. It may fit your bill. Sleeps 7.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:55   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I am admittedly biased, but look at older Tartan 30's. Tartans are well built and hold thier value well. Just keep in mind that when shopping for older boats, you are buying not only the boat- but all the work done by all the previous owners.

The other advantage of Tartans is the very active owners group. Whatever breaks, there is someone who has had that issue one the same or similar model.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 19:40   #5

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

Hey Snore, I too own a Tartan 30. Agreed, excellent boats, the OP could find a nice one for well under $20K, and the wife would like the roomy interior layout. The slight reverse transom would also be well adapted to a swim step. Don't believe they ever made a shoal draft version, so that might be a consideration.

What is the "very active owners group" you speak of?
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 20:31   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Look for a Hunter 30T. The "T" model is nice for a 30 footer.
Look at the step through transom. Perfect for swimming, water entry.
Some were on market for about $25k.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 20:55   #7

Boat: Glasstron Spirit 28

I live in Islamorada and am in North Carolina now waiting for Matthew to go by before heading back down the coast. I am selling my 28' Spirit sailboat. Have had it for 3 years living on it and am looking to upgrade. I should be down @ November 15th. Have down the ICW and off shore since I bought her and also dive. Lots of new stuff and extras including a new main, 2 genoas and a new spinnaker. Yanmar diesel and new bottom job done last week. Hit me up for more info and pics if interested. noel.jambor@gmail.com
Keys Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 20:58   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160418_152356.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	132251
Old 03-10-2016, 23:37   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Byrdman,

When I met the chap who later became my husband, Jim, he had a Yankee 30. Now, imho, that would be small for 3 or 4, nonetheless she served us well, club racing, coastal trips from No to So Cal, one roundtrip to HI from San Francisco. We used a small inflatable dinghy for all our spear fishing and snorkeling, so I don't think you need a walk through transom at this time. Use your dinghy for your scuba. Quite often, you want to leave the mother boat where it is safe, so you will want a capable dinghy, but those round tubes, up to 18 " diameter, are actually reasonably comfortable for female protuberances on re-entry. It is an easily acquired skill for a somewhat fit person. Trying to find a walk through transom in this size and age range is not going to be doable, if you want a decent sailing boat.

Also, you'll need a boarding ladder for getting aboard from the water, and with that, you could descend with your tanks , and stuff on, except for the fins, and put the fins on in the water. Then secure the tanks, b.c., to the ladder, remove fins, climb up the ladder with the fins, and have your buddy hand you the tanks and b.c. to put on the boat. You need a ladder way more than a walk through transom.

Ann
Old 03-10-2016, 23:57   #10

Or you could dive from your inflatable tender, tethered to the yacht or handled by a non diver. Kit up in the tender and de-kit in the water pass into the tender then unload onto the yacht. Simpler more effective and easier than diving from a yacht and if you ever need picking up then definitely a better option.
Vancouver Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:58   #11

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I will check out all the boats mentioned and look at what is involved with a swim platform.

I also thought there should be a way to strip gear in the water and have a block and tackle system that can hoist it up for you. Combine that with a swim platform and it should fit the bill.

Again thank you for all the suggestions! Please keep them coming, I could use all the help I can get!!
Byrdman
Old 04-10-2016, 04:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I will check out all the boats mentioned and look at what is involved with a swim platform.

I also thought there should be a way to strip gear in the water and have a block and tackle system that can hoist it up for you. Combine that with a swim platform and it should fit the bill.

Again thank you for all the suggestions! Please keep them coming, I could use all the help I can get!!
Byrdman
As an old diver used to diving in the UK with a full neoprene drysuit with upwards of 25lbs ow weight belt, twin sets etc from hard boats with 4 foot and more freeboard. Stripping kit in the water and passing it up to someone on the boat, then climbing a ladder of sorts was the norm as was diving from inflatables and Ribs. It's not rocket science nor difficult. I think you are over complicating things.
Vancouver Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Pete View Post
As an old diver used to diving in the UK with a full neoprene drysuit with upwards of 25lbs ow weight belt, twin sets etc from hard boats with 4 foot and more freeboard. Stripping kit in the water and passing it up to someone on the boat, then climbing a ladder of sorts was the norm as was diving from inflatables and Ribs. It's not rocket science nor difficult. I think you are over complicating things.
I agree with you, and the complications, even the minor ones, will be expressed to me thoroughly by my much better half. Just trying to get options.

Thank you for the suggestion!
Old 04-10-2016, 05:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys Spirit View Post
Byrdman,

Not sure why only a pic posted but I live in Islamorada and am on my way down the coast from New Jersey and in NC now waiting for Matthew to go by. This is my '81 Spirit 28 that is for sale. I also dive and do everything from my dingy or in the water. Lots of new stuff and great boat. Hit me up for more info if interested. Trying to be in the keys by November 10th. Looking to get $15,000 or B/O. noel.jambor@gmail
Old 04-10-2016, 09:07   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wristwister View Post
Hey Snore, I too own a Tartan 30. Agreed, excellent boats, the OP could find a nice one for well under $20K, and the wife would like the roomy interior layout. The slight reverse transom would also be well adapted to a swim step. Don't believe they ever made a shoal draft version, so that might be a consideration.

What is the "very active owners group" you speak of?

On yahoo there is a Tartan Owners group. There are some original T-33 and T-37 owners I have dealt with as well as many long time owners.

Very little "I think..." and many many "I did" or "I did but don't do that" guidance.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat