Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2013, 09:06   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to Salgari
Re: Looking for a 40 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I would take ex-chartered boat anytime over an old boat. Of course ex-chartered boat is still more expensive than an old 80's to 90's boat. For your budget, I would take a newer boat for its modern hull, lighter weight, ergonomic, and comfortable living space.

BVI or Caribbean has the best deal for chartered boat. They are not junk. Chartered companies do know how to maintain their fleet. Many yachties from down and under come to BVI to buy their boats and sail it back to Australia. I have crewed for them many times. I am impressed with their purchased and how the chartered company taking care the boat before they release it to the new owner for his long journey home.

Don't fall for that you must have a valiant or caliber to be a true sailor.

Good luck.
Hey, thanks! I eally appreciate your comments and will take them seriously.
Salgari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 09:23   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
A boat that has been in charter duty with a reputable company is going to have been used hard
Mostly only the engine, berths and head has been used hard. So just get an engine survey and check the other two.
Old 20-12-2013, 09:24   #18

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

I don't know about 40ft range but many of the larger charter monohulls and cats squeeze in extra accomadations and heads than most people need. Look for an owners version when possible
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 09:27   #19

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

One of the many things to consider is old boat vs new boat. When I say old boat, I mean well-maintained but built quite a few years ago. Production boats built before about 2005, and certainly before 2000 were a better quality build. Thicker gelcoat, teak, wood interiors, simpler amenities. Newer boats are typically less well built but have more amenities (showers, swim platforms, etc.) and benefit from newer technology. Look at a well-maintained Jeanneau or Beneteau from the '80's or '90's and compare to a similar, very new version and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Which you prefer is your decision--there are benefits both ways--but it is one important item to consider and once you've made a choice you'll be able to rule out a lot of possibilities.

Also, be aware that a foot or two goes a very long ways toward additional living space AND expense.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 14:21   #20

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgari View Post
sorry for bothering you. As a new member of this forum may be I put some silly questions for people who has lots of experience.
I don't think he was trying to be mean. But simply saying I want a 40' boat, what should I buy is kind of like asking how long is a piece of string. There are literally thousands of 40' boats out there from hundreds of manufacturers and all with very different looks, feel and sailing qualities. Knowing your price range, your intended uses for the boat and what you do and do not want in a boat will help us give you some ideas.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 14:38   #21

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Salgari,

Tell us how much you've got and what you intend to do with the boat, day sail, cruising, bahamas, caribbean , rtw, whatever. I'm sure the collective skills of CF will find you a boat. First you have to have a budget. If you don't have a number you're tire kicking.
Old 21-12-2013, 08:22   #22

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Salgari,

Tell us how much you've got and what you intend to do with the boat, day sail, cruising, bahamas, caribbean , rtw, whatever. I'm sure the collective skills of CF will find you a boat. First you have to have a budget. If you don't have a number you're tire kicking.
Nothing wrong with tire kicking at first as long as it doesn't take up other people's time and conducted via the Internet and/or walking around boat yards. Tire kicking is a learning method.....the more you look, the more you know what you like and dislike. Once you narrow down the choices and have an idea what your money will get you and you're getting serious about a time frame, then it's time to bother the broker
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 08:31   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Mostly only the engine, berths and head has been used hard. So just get an engine survey and check the other two.
Thank you for your advice. Thinking wouldn't be easy to find a reliable surveyor, would it?
Old 21-12-2013, 08:41   #24

Thumbs up Re: Looking for a 40 ft.

Quote:
Salgari,

Well VASCO, you know, this would be sound a bit wierd, since I've never been a sailor neither sailed alone.

But what my wife and I are intending to do is cruising around the world. Of course, we know we have lots to learn before, and lots of coast and day sailing for us to get some seamanship. But we'll do our best and we're enthusiastic.

Thats why we started with this forum, we think we can learn a lot from all of you guys. Thank you so much for your support and encouraging words.
Old 21-12-2013, 09:03   #25

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgari View Post
Well VASCO, you know, this would be sound a bit wierd, since I've never been a sailor neither sailed alone.

But what my wife and I are intending to do is cruising around the world. Of course, we know we have lots to learn before, and lots of coast and day sailing for us to get some seamanship. But we'll do our best and we're enthusiastic.

Thats why we started with this forum, we think we can learn a lot from all of you guys. Thank you so much for your support and encouraging words.
In that case you're putting the cart before the horse. Don't worry about a 40' boat. Go sailing, join a club, crew for others in club races. Take courses in piloting and navigation. The boat you want will gradually dawn on you. It may be very different from what you think you want now. What's the magic of 40'. Maybe 39 will do. Maybe once you've sailed a few you'll want a 45. In the end when you should have a good idea of what you want you'll have to face the real factor that determines what boat you end up with - your budget.

You can get different ideas from different posters here. Most folks here have differing opinions as to what the ideal boat for a cruising couple would be. In the final analysis doing is what will help you decide. God forbid, you might end up wanting a cat!
Old 21-12-2013, 10:11   #26

May bevyou're wright Vasco. I'll sleep on it.
Old 21-12-2013, 10:20   #27

Hi,I'm new here too.I live aboard a 40 footer that's 60 years old.It's set up for single-hand blue water cruising.I'd suggest the newest quality boat in your price range.Boats in the 40ft. mol range require a little experience to handle safely.Most chartered boats are well maintained and most reputable companies wont lease it to a novice.You may consider chartering a few boats you like with at least a captain.You'll get invaluable sailing experience.Then you can bareboat charter one you like.Then get an experienced surveyor that doesn't have a dog in the fight.Best of luck,and there are no stupid questions.
Pegleg Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 10:27   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
What's the magic of 40'. Maybe 39 will do.

No way, once you've done 40 there is no way one would go 39!
Old 21-12-2013, 10:35   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Looking for a 40 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
No way, once you've done 40 there is no way one would go 39!
If you really love/want to sail... size don't matter..
From a mans point of view.. women may have a different opinion...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 10:43   #30

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If you really love/want to sail... size don't matter..
From a mans point of view.. women may have a different opinion...

When it comes to boats, I like the smallest one that fits my needs. When it comes to men, well...my husband is 6'8". ;-)
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote