Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2023, 20:31   #1

Looking for boat suggestions

I am looking for suggestions on models to consider for an offshore performance cruiser. I want to be able to accommodate 6 adults on passages or a family of 4 full time.

Although I am not a beneteau guy I really like the Frers First 42. Great layout and performance characteristics/ratios but the aft cabin is just too small for 2 adults.

Also like:
Hylas 44 (although out of my price range)
S&S swan 43
First 435 & 456
KP44 & 46

My budget is <$100kUSD

Requirements:
-fast (150+ NM/day minimum)
-weatherly
-well built
-2 double cabins
-2-4 pilot berths
-38-45ft
-Sloop or Cutter
-Fiberglass
-Fin keel
-good engine access
-minimal exterior wood
-simple to maintain
-uncluttered deck
wet_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 14:22   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Looking for boat suggestions

We looked at a First 40 at one point. We like performance and good sail-handling equipment, and the boat ticked many boxes. We did not like the draft too much. It would have restricted our cruising grounds considerably. We also noticed that there was minimal space to stow anything. Clothes, weather gear">foul weather gear, supplies, spare parts, provisions... barely space for a crew to carry enough for a weekend; they'd be living out of their backpacks. The space behind the setee backs, which is often a great place for each crew's gear, was only deep enough to perhaps hold a book - laid flat against the hull. Space under the bunks and settees is for tanks and compressors/pumps. What stowage existed was designed to hold about a case of wine. Great for toasting victories 'round the buoys but not much use on long slogs. While the First 42 is not the same boat, it might be useful to determine if there is enough stowage for your long-term needs. A J/42 might be more commodious, but still capable of good performance.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:47   #3

Boat: Outremer 55L

J44? These are now long in the tooth but are excellent fast cruisers. You’d probably want the v-berth as your main cabin and the two quarter berth doubles for the extra people. Storage is not too bad and you could convert the salon pilot berths to lockers.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 15:31   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Well, the kp44/46 certainly ticks most of those boxes, though the pilot berths are not there. And I wouldn’t call the forward cabin generous.

But sail it in the right climate and the best place to sleep is the cockpit.

Tags
boat