Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2017, 11:18   #16

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Looking for Chesepeake bay Dockage for a 57'

To be honest, the Chesapeake Bay is not the place to cruise with a 9.5' draft.
Make sure you have unlimited tow insurance.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 11:39   #17

Boat: Kanter Yachts Steel Spray 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL1333 View Post
I just purchased a 57' cruiser and now looking for dockage on the Chesapeake for the spring/summer season. I'm flexible on the location from Annapolis to Norfolk.
  • low cost (haha)
  • low frills ( don't need anything except boat storage while away)
  • safe secure
  • deep draft (9.5')
  • no racing
Please share any recommendations.

Sincere thanks!

Rob
Hi Rob,

We are at Zahniser's Yacht Center in Solomon's Island, MD on the Patuxent River. GREAT marina- staff is excellent, and we just sort of "fell" here when our boat needed some work on our trip up the ICW this past summer. They have a pool with a snack/liquor bar, and a great restaurant on premises. There are also GREAT restaurants a short walk from there (CD Cafe is amazing). Good luck!

Brian
TKDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 12:03   #18

Boat: Hatteras Yachtfish 58'

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
I don't think 9.5ft draft is going in the Salt Pond very easily think approach is 6.5ft at best. 10ft draft is a different world for most of the bay.

Does he want easy transportation like to an airport, any liveaboard. Va or Md ok, I like Solomon Island MD. Cape Charles has some options. In Hampton think Old Point Comfort is 20ft to the dock.
I entered Salt Ponds on 12/8. Had 20 feet most of the way. There was a dredge working inside the break water and in towards the marina. I have no idea how deep they were going but it looked pretty deep because to the lenght of the boom on the hydraulic back hoe.

I would call the marina and ask.
tomrealest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 12:38   #19

Boat: 58'Kelsall Ballota Catamaran

Ocean Jedi, a 58 foot cat., spent hurricane season at Anchorage marina. great location in down town Baltimore. Reasonably Priced good facilities (except wi fi was a little week on the out docks), nice staff, end was good for wide boat (30 foot bean). Ocean Jedi has a 5 ft draft, so it was fine. i don't know how deep it was. i 'd recommend checking this out.
ocean.jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 14:05   #20

Solomons, MD has several marinas which could accommodate your boat. Active Captain use to and may still list marinas. There will be a range of prices for those marinas, however none will be cheaper than those in Deltaville, VA. Fishing Bay Marina on fishing bay would be the best for your draft since I'm not sure about the others. Speak to Jon, the owner or Missy the dock master about where they could put you.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 14:10   #21

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW1309 View Post
Try Crockett’s Landing, Irvington Va (in Carter Creek off the Rappahannock River). Minimal amenities and minimal cost. Beautiful spot and great people. Had my boat there till we moved to West coast.
Good spot.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 18:02   #22

Boat: Gemini Legacy 35

Consider Maryland Yacht Club (MYC). They have at least 10-12 feet of water, lots of large slips. MYC is off the Patapsco and about 15 miles from Baltimore, Annapolis, Rock Hall etc. perfect location for middle/upper bay cruising.
If you check them out, tell them Red sent you.
WayForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 18:09   #23

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayForward View Post
Consider Maryland Yacht Club (MYC). They have at least 10-12 feet of water, lots of large slips. MYC is off the Patapsco and about 15 miles from Baltimore, Annapolis, Rock Hall etc. perfect location for middle/upper bay cruising.
If you check them out, tell them Red sent you.
The upper bay or north of the bay bridge is not a good area for a 9.5' draft.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 19:51   #24

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrealest View Post
I entered Salt Ponds on 12/8. Had 20 feet most of the way. There was a dredge working inside the break water and in towards the marina. I have no idea how deep they were going but it looked pretty deep because to the lenght of the boom on the hydraulic back hoe.

I would call the marina and ask.
Yea give them a call, the city dredges every other year. Usually to 8ft MLW and then fills back in to under 6ft. It's a great spot. Know a couple of boats that had to move last spring, because of water. Would be a good place to keep a boat, especially if traveling in and out. Has a semi resort feel during the summer. We keep our boat just around the corner during the summer.

Here's an pdf overview of the inlet.

http://www.SaltPondsMarinaResort.com/inlet.pdf
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock