Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 09:16   #1

Looking for Information on the Island Packet 26 Mk 1

I am wondering if anyone could share thoughts about/experiences with the Island Packet 26 Mark 1. We’re searching for a first boat, hopefully one that would allow one couple with a little boy to sail the Chesapeake, ICW, East Coast and eventually the Caribbean. Given our potential destinations we don’t necessarily need a “bluewater” boat, but we do want to be able to consider short offshore passages. We’ve identified a few boats in our area under 31’ that fall into the ‘performance cruiser’ category that would work for us.

We’ve also run across an Island Packet 26 that seems interesting, esp. since the keel retracts. The draft is over 6’ with the keel down but only 2’ 4” with it up. My general impression is the IPs are going to be pokier than some of the other boats we've looked at, but also that an IP might be a “forgiving” and “more stable” platform for newer sailers and our little guy. And it would be nice to venture into shallower water. (The other boats I’ve really liked have 5’ drafts.)

I’m wondering what the tiny IPs are like to sail, and anything else positive or negative about them. We cannot seem to find much online about the first Island Packet, other than the original promotional brochure.
seaparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 19:29   #2

Boat: Watkins 29'
Re: Looking for Information on the Island Packet 26 Mk 1

The Island Packet 26 started life as the Bombay Express 26, Bombay sold the molds to Island Packet kicking off a very successful cruising boat line.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:30   #3

It is that bit of history that presents questions. I am wondering if I can imagine the IP 26 to sail like the later Island Packets (basically an IP 27 with a centerboard?). Or if--as the first Island Packet--her design was different and her sailing/build characteristics as well.

Unless I am mistaken, the centerboard disappeared after the 26' was replaced with the 27' and the rudder changed as well.

Apparently the 26' I am about to go see has crazing in the gelcoat in at least the cockpit -- not sure if that's typical for IPs of this vintage or just for the IP 26.
seaparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:05   #4

Boat: Watkins 29'

Go here Sailboatdata.com is the worlds largest sailboat database. and punch in Island Packet and you will be able to see the progression from the 26' to the MK 26' to the re-designed 27'.