Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2021, 05:22   #1

Looking for Marina in Greater Tampa Area

Hello:
New to the forum, long time sailor currently sailing a Pacific Seacraft 32 with a 6'1" draft -- the boat has spent its entire life in New England-- but will be trucked to the greater Tampa area this spring. I understand the draft is deep for west coast fla waters but will have to manage.

Looking for local knowledge regarding marinas.

I am especially intrigued/concerned that most facilities don't seem to have haul out capability even close enough to handle the number of boats in their basin for storm haul outs. How does that work?
bjlsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:51   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Looking for Marina in Greater Tampa Area

Unlike the northeast we don’t haul for anything other than maintenance. We were in the Houston area for years, now we’re on Florida’s west coast.
Typically you choose a marina with hurricane protected docks (floating with tall pilings and good wind breaks all around) or you plan to take your boat to a little mangrove cove and tie it up.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:39   #3

Boat: Caliber Yachts/Caliber 38

Kinda new here, but I’m guessing you might have your pick of several marinas once (if?) boats clear out by late spring. If you can spare the time, might not hurt to come down and spend a couple days looking around.

My boat is at Regatta Pointe marina on the Manatee river. Fixed docks, just 2-3 miles from 2 haulouts. Reasonably protected area. Sneads Island boatworks has a hurricane haulout plan, have to sign up.
chriskilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:44   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

In a word- DONT. SW Florida is very shallow, a 6’ 1” draft will be a challenge. Should you look to sell here she will fetch a better price up there.

That said, most marinas have a long wait list. St Petersburg Muni has an 18 month wait list! Call around and see what marina can take you.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:51   #5

Boat: Caliber Yachts/Caliber 38

Agree with Snore. Have you considered The Atlantic side?
chriskilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:14   #6

Boat: Reliance 44

Hi,
I live in the Tampa Bay area and the draft on my Reliance is 6' 2".
For years I kept the boat at Little Harbor Marina near Ruskin. It is well protected and they have floating docks.
There is one problem. There is one shallow bump coming in from the bay near the harbor entrance. You can not cross it at low tide. When we were there we just planned for it.
ottewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:28   #7

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Research on Activecaptain, marinas.com, cruisingguide.com. Let your fingers do the walking.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:17   #8

You could check out the Tierra Verde Marina Resort recently renamed as Port 32 Tierra Verde. Very modern facility and well protected. I was there for 6 years. It has fixed docks. Your draft should not be a problem but when exiting the Grand Canal to the Pass-a-Grill Channel stay close to the starboard markers as there is visible shoaling on the port channel markers. When exiting the Pass-a Grille inlet into the Gulf absolutely avoid the starboard channel markers- very very shallow but lots of depth on the port side. Hug the port markers and you should be fine. You'll probably find Boca Ciega Bay challenging and will definitely need to stay within the channel markers.
MBinSTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:47   #9

Boat: Beneteau 343

Following
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 15:30   #10

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

I will second the motion by Snore,,,,,,,sell you deep draft boat up north and either trade it for shallow draft or buy one down here. Unless you like sailing in circles in Tampa Bay, you will never get to enjoy all the other wonderful rivers and anchorages in SW Florida.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 15:44   #11

Tarpon Springs birth at Anclote Isles Marina, 6ft draft. We sail inside and of Anclote island. Sometimes down to Clearwater, just watch your course and depth.
Billnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 16:34   #12

Boat: Stamas 44

following
Old 03-01-2021, 16:39   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlsailor View Post
Hello:
New to the forum, long time sailor currently sailing a Pacific Seacraft 32 with a 6'1" draft -- the boat has spent its entire life in New England-- but will be trucked to the greater Tampa area this spring. I understand the draft is deep for west coast fla waters but will have to manage.

Looking for local knowledge regarding marinas.

I am especially intrigued/concerned that most facilities don't seem to have haul out capability even close enough to handle the number of boats in their basin for storm haul outs. How does that work?
There are many more boats than boatyards around Tampa Bay area as many boatyards have sold out to Condos. Therefore you are at the "mercy" of the boat yards to get any work done and they try to get as much $ out of you as there is no competition --Almost none of the Marinas can haul any boat.. With your draft you wont fit in many marinas -I suggest those on the Manatee River in Bradenton.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 17:33   #14

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Why would you do that to yourself?

The problem is not just finding a berth that will handle a 6-foot draft. It's that you are not able to sail to the many cool places around western and southern Florida.

If you just like to sail out into the Gulf and return, then you're fine. You're also OK if you sail long distances to deep-water ports.

But most of the Keys will be out of bounds. Biscayne Bay has lots of shallow water. In parts of the west coast ICW, I have seen depths of less than six feet. The Bahamas can get tricky with deep draft.

Lots of good anchorages are 5 to 8 feet, depending on tides. Also, many west coast inlets are shallow and tricky, making deep draft one more headache.

Other posters are correct that space is tight in marinas all over Florida and that more than a few provide only limited protection from the hurricanes and winter storms that can roar through here.

Boatyards are a non-factor because sailboats usually get hauled out once every three or four years due to long waiting lists and the big bucks you get charged by operators who know a monopoly when they see one.

It takes some good planning to move down here with a sailboat and do it right.

You also need hard bottom paint, preferably Trinidad, and monthly bottom cleanings.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 18:22   #15

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

5.7 depth. We keep her at the vanoy. 70 ft mast we sail all over. The ditch is not a option in most cases as bridges are 65 ft. Been all over the keys, etc. if your not stuck in Tampa were moving her to burnt store marina in Cape Coral. Soon. Check there.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote