Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2021, 03:12   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Looking for my next boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Found it.

It was a Sealord. Look at how bloated it looks. Plus, I can assure you, standing at the dock, the freeboard on that boat was appalling. Ugh.

Okay - enough hijacking. Now back to Matt's boat search!

LittleWing77
Thats what a bad paint job does to a girl.

She was for sale in Portugal about a year ago - she has an interesting history.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 07:42   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
I saw an Oceanlord over our Dominion Day Weekend up here (July 1st) this Summer and it was one of the ugliest boats I've ever seen. Looked like a stacked wedding cake, the freeboard was so high up off of the water. Ugh.

And this is from someone who loves Westerlies - but Fulmars.

LittleWing77

Boats should be described like children. Always tell the parents how cute their kids are...even though they look like they fell out of an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 09:22   #18

Boat: Stevens 47

A Stevens 47 or Hylas 47 might work for you. Not a great view out from below decks though.

S
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 13:38   #19

Boat: Spindrift 46 Center Cockpit

I second the Hylas 47 and Steven’s 47. Also my boat, a Spindrift 46. Similar to a Kelly Peterson 46. But don’t confuse them with the Peterson 44 which is a notch below.
On the Hylas you need to go down the side passageway under the cockpit to get to the aft cabin but what a beautiful aft cabin. We sailed a Hylas before getting our boat. But is a big step up into the center cockpit and you may feel claustrophobic in the aft cabin. However you can stand on the aft birth and see all around as well as jump in or climb out through the big opening deck hatch.
What I like about ours is the cockpit is not raised as high. It’s a low passageway to the aft cabin in our boat and I have hit my head 480 times walking back. However we have a companion way that opens directly to the aft cabin. Great for direct access. Also for looking out. In the tropics great airflow into the aft cabin. Also good for 2 couples because of the separation between the aft cabin and v berth. We sail quite fast and are a cutter rig.
frantzjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 13:59   #20

Matt how far are you willing to travel to buy a boat? I know of a very nice one in Valdivia.

One thing you don't want to end up with in Australia is an orphan.

Actual Sealord freeboard can be seen here - I use that blue milk crate ( Remains the Property of Midland Milk, Bendigo ) as a step.

Hardly excessive unless one has very little legs, it is a 39 foot boat and one doesn't want to go to sea on a half tide rock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3436.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	245612   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3434.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	374.2 KB
ID:	245613  

Old 19-09-2021, 14:14   #21

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Boats should be described like children. Always tell the parents how cute their kids are...even though they look like they fell out of an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Could not have said it better myself!

I admit, sometimes, when complimenting someone on their boat, I’ve expected a bolt of lightening to take me out on the spot, but it’s the risk you have to take.
Old 19-09-2021, 14:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Matt how far are you willing to travel to buy a boat? I know of a very nice one in Valdivia.

One thing you don't want to end up with in Australia is an orphan.

Actual Sealord freeboard can be seen here - I use that blue milk crate ( Remains the Property of Midland Milk, Bendigo ) as a step.

Hardly excessive unless one has very little legs, it is a 39 foot boat and one doesn't want to go to sea on a half tide rock.

And there was me taking the piss from the yanks for their weird systems of measurement.

Yeah, a little far for me.

I was also told there are many boats for sale in places like Vanuatu.

But I’ve been given a HUGE shopping list by a serious boat nerd I trust, so I reckon I should find something local. I’m in no rush, this is about a three year plan.
Old 19-09-2021, 14:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainted View Post
A Stevens 47 or Hylas 47 might work for you. Not a great view out from below decks though.

S

Thank you, I’ve added these to the list for consideration.
Old 19-09-2021, 14:20   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantzjoe View Post
I second the Hylas 47 and Steven’s 47. Also my boat, a Spindrift 46. Similar to a Kelly Peterson 46. But don’t confuse them with the Peterson 44 which is a notch below.

On the Hylas you need to go down the side passageway under the cockpit to get to the aft cabin but what a beautiful aft cabin. We sailed a Hylas before getting our boat. But is a big step up into the center cockpit and you may feel claustrophobic in the aft cabin. However you can stand on the aft birth and see all around as well as jump in or climb out through the big opening deck hatch.

What I like about ours is the cockpit is not raised as high. It’s a low passageway to the aft cabin in our boat and I have hit my head 480 times walking back. However we have a companion way that opens directly to the aft cabin. Great for direct access. Also for looking out. In the tropics great airflow into the aft cabin. Also good for 2 couples because of the separation between the aft cabin and v berth. We sail quite fast and are a cutter rig.

Great descriptions, thank you.

For the record, I refer to the passage to the aft cabin on this boat as “concussion alley”. I’m willing to put up with a bit of difficulty getting to the aft cabin, but I’d like good headroom in the main cabin area.
Old 19-09-2021, 14:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
And there was me taking the piss from the yanks for their weird systems of measurement.

Oh, I can give you accurate measurements if you want.

Either two Australian SMCs ( standard milk crates) and a bit or - in Chileano speak - 3 x 5 litre boxes of Gato Negro CabSav.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3437.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	245615  
Old 19-09-2021, 16:03   #26

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantzjoe View Post
I think you have your wires crossed mate.

From Bluewaterboats.org ...
"Between 1979 and 1986 another Taiwanese yard called Formosa Yachts built an extended version called the Formosa 46, this string of boats eventually become known by the cruising community as "Cheaterson" boats. Digging deeper behind this story, Sea Magazine reported in May 1987 that Kelly had quality problems while building his original molds and had them destroyed, finding an alternative company to build a second set. During the interim the line drawings were stolen. In the months that followed two boats from Taiwan appeared on the U.S. market with a striking resemblance to the Kelly Peterson 44"

The KP-44 was built 1975-1983. I have worked on these and I can assure you they are well put together with perfect joinery work. The 46's were a mixed batch with the "Cheatersons" mixed into the bag. You can tell them easily when you step onboard...the quality is just not there. One thing they all suffer from is poor quality Stainless fasteners. Especially on the masts and rudder gudgeons.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 16:27   #27

Boat: a sailing boat

Maybe you can find one of these:

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/am...te-43-wauquiez

closer to home.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 18:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Maybe you can find one of these:

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/am...te-43-wauquiez

closer to home.

b.

What a beautiful boat!

However, I should have mentioned... no ketches. I love the look of them but, without wishing to offend ketch owners, I don’t want to own one.
Old 19-09-2021, 18:03   #29

One thing that is starting to worry me... it looks like my days of 1.7 meter draft may be a victim of this upgrade. Everything so far seems to be around the 2 to 2.2 meter range.
Old 19-09-2021, 18:05   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Oh, I can give you accurate measurements if you want.

Either two Australian SMCs ( standard milk crates) and a bit or - in Chileano speak - 3 x 5 litre boxes of Gato Negro CabSav.

Strangely enough, Google didn’t have that conversion available.

Tags
boat